Multi-channeling Question - 2 Amplifiers?

Kenhorns

My current system is a CD player and turntable (with integral phone preamp) connected to Sophia Electric SET EL34 tube intergated amp driving a pair of Khorns. The SET EL34 has 2 RCA stereo inputs (1. CD 2. Aux) and only 1 pair of speaker connections. Turntable is connected to Aux with turntable preamp switched 'on'.

I want to add my Cornwalls to this system and am considering purchasing a 2nd SET EL34 to obtain a second speaker pair connection.

I believe this is Multi-channeling?

The question is in how to best split the 2 input signals to the 2 amps? Are simple Y-splitter Audio Cables sufficient? My web reading findings indicate, yes, since it is only 2 amps maximum. Or, do I need to invest in a Signal-Distribution amp, as some web readings recommend?

I assume that I must plug both amps into the same wall outlet to assure both are on a common neutral and ground 120v source.

Is it as simple as Y-splitters or has this 'Novice' missed something?

Any "watch out fors"?

All suggestions and explanations on this subject welcomed - I wish to keep learning.

Thanks

Yes, that will work. The pre-amp should be able to drive at least two amps. A Y splitter will work.

It is good practice to have the amps plugged into the same a.c. source. I do advocate that all electrical equipment should be grounded. So cheater plugs etc are not something I like to read about.

This is not multi-channel program sources. You still have just left and right program from two lefts and right speakers.

You should search the forum for the center channel mixer box. Use one of your new speakers as a center channel There are big rewards there.

Gil

Yes, that will work

Thanks Gil! Appreciate the response.

I'm reading the past posts on the Mini Box now - interesting stuff! You just put me on hold until I can review all this.

Looks like you source the Mini Box from Mark @ Juicy Music? though, It's not listed on his website.

Any suggestions on a decent Monoblock Integrated Amp that might match well with my Sophia Electric SET EL34?

Ken

You should take a look at this: http://www.klipsch.com/media/news-center/reviews-press-pdfs/audio-cornwall.pdf

It is my understanding that the CW II in the article the, then, new version the horizontal midrange. Generally what we know as the Heritage CW. Naturally there was a later CWII.

It is interesting that there were two risers available. One for vertical orientation and one for horziontal.

Please note in the article the use of the CW as a center with a mixing box, which is not described.

There is tendancy to think that "those were the old days" and somehow things are different now. No so. The center can be very impressive and of course has been adopted by the HT people.

I'm not (yet) and amp guy. Others with give advice. I also have never shopped to buy a mixer. But you will probably get some advice on that too.

Gil

This is a great article and helpful thread! Thanks for raising this question and please allow me to bring up another couple of questions that are related.

Would the Y-splitter work coming out of a source such as a CD player and feeding the signal to two amps work as well as the scenario you descibed?

Also, would the system generally sound better if I added a center channel to a two way system or adding two speakers say, to the rear of the listener that was split signal from the front L & R channel?

I ask this because I do not have a multi-channel amp but would like to optimize use of more than two speakers?

Would the Y-splitter work coming out of a source such as a CD player and feeding the signal to two amps work as well as the scenario you descibed?

I'll leave the other (smarter) guys to comment on the other questions but on this I'll say...

I once did exactly this and for me it DID create issues "at times"

I had a scenario where if I turned an amp off (presuming all were on) my OTHER amp that I did not want to turn off would go into protection mode...

Long story short, the little OTL amps I had, when I turned them off, spit a bit of DC current OUT of their INPUT jacks (yes, out of the input jack). Well, since this input jack was connected to the input of the other amp (via the Y adapter) it became a spit of DC current into the input of the OTHER amp and wham... protection circuit!

The other amp did not like this at all

It befuddled me to no end and it was Mark Deneen (Juicy Music Audio) who took the time, energy & thought process to finally figure out what the real issue was. (I might add at a whopping zero income to him (no cost to me))

so, my hat was off to Mark for his helpfulness.

All that to say, it's possible that putting a "Y" onto a cd player and splitting that between two different amp inputs MIGHT cause an issue and it might not. For me and my amps, it did cause an issue under certain circumstances.

To address LH's question.

I made up a passive adder using transformers. The results varied between improved and "spooky good" depending on the recording. So I think that is the best way to go.

I've only had one experience with what turns out to be effectively a delayed mono mix in the rear. Don't laugh too much. I have the main listening set up in the main room of the apartment. There is a small TV in the kitchen. Both were tuned to the same program the other night. In the main room, the kitchen set (relative low level and delayed by distance) added an interesting ambiance. None the less, I would not take the trouble to set up a rear left and right speakers.

In MHO, surround is the last part of a system I'd invest in. The front stage is where the action is. But that is just me. I do agree good surround enhances the experience.

BTW, one interesting recording is on Symphonic Star Trek . . . the Trouble with Tribbles. I tested a surround system in a garage where I used to do my building. When I was situated in one spot, the cooing tribbles were well placed all around the floor and fairly well localized. None the less, it is a show off gimmic effect.

OTOH, Symphonic Star Trek (Telarc) is a favorite of mine. Lots of good music and fun tracks. Highly recommended.

Let me think a bit abou the Y issue. Some good issues have been reported.

Gil

Y-connectors are usually cheap items from Radio Shack, but Knukonceptz has shielded y-connectors that actually look to be decent quality and they're only $3.99. They come in two varieties, 1 male-2 female or 1 female-2 male.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KARSS1F2M

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KARSS1M2F

They even have upgraded ones for $5.99:

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRY-1F2M

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRY-1M2F