Klipsch rf82 in cabinets....

tlendy25

ok everyone. I am certain that this isnt the best option, but it is pretty much my ONLY option right now. My question is how much of a negative effect will placing an RF82 in a cabinet have.

I have added a photo of what the cabinets basically look like. The carpenter made some minor adjustments to the cabinets and they are slightly different now though. The one main thing is that he made it so that the fireplace mantle went all the way to the shelves. So now, the rf82 will basically be in a cabinet on the side of the fireplace. I guess there is around 23" depth of the cabinet and 10.25" width...

I wasnt planning on having the top closed off. It was going to be a cabinet, then an open space for the speaker, and then the FP. So the original design was to call for the speaker in the open area. But now there is a top to that area and it is basically a cabinet.

I am really sort of in a bind now though, since this is the only place to put the speakers. It is a new construction house and I just had them do all of the wiring and everything already. So the fronts are wired up in that area....

I know that there will be more bass. Thats a given, but will it be distorted and crappy sounding. Or just a bit more bass....

20080120170847012_0001-1.pdf

If I understand correctly, you only have 3/4" in the width and 6 3/4" in the depth. Is there any way to put the speakers away from the wall more, or is it made to sit flush with the cabinet?

I know others will chime in here but I think that you might have a problem with it sounding muddled. Someone posted something similar and they were told it might sound like a speaker is inside a box.

When will you be able to hear for yourself how it sounds?

James

Unfortunately, there really isnt much I can do about it. I can probably move the speakers in and out of the cabinet a bit.

Like taking a speaker wire that is a bit longer. Then if I want to use the speakers, I can pull them out of the cabinet a bit. That probably wouldnt be a problem.

Ill be able to hear for myself in about 6 days. Thanjks for the input though.

I guess I can always just pop the speakers out of the cabinets when I need them. The space in front of them is carpeted, so that shouldnt be a problem. Ill just have to keep the fireplace off most of the time. Thats fine though. I dont really foresee the fireplace being on that often anyhow.

Ill send an updated photo when I get the Plasma up. I am thinking that it will all look great. Well, I hope it does anyhow.

WIll be moving in on Thursday and Friday. Try to get pics up by next week.

• Moderators

How about putting them on a small shelf with some type of casters with wood trim across the front to hide the casters, wheel them out to use then roll them back in ?

Edit: Almost forgot nice looking room , I see why you wanted to put them there, looks good.

Guest IVstringer

I don't think you need to worry about the fireplace. I have 82s and one of them is maybe 3-4 feet from it. It gets warm, but nothing has happened otherwise.

All speaker cabinets have some resonances to the side walls, no matter how well they are braced. These vibrations and the bass output from the ports is part of the total 'voice' of the speaker (in other words, when we design the crossover networks, the speakers are completely out in the open). Not only that, but the ports are required to 'breathe' into a standard volume of room air which tunes the cabinet and affects how the woofers operate. These all work in concert with one another to give the total Klipsch sound. Taking the bass port out of the equation is somewhat akin to putting any replacment woofer into a Heresy cabinet- it just won't work as intended. Why buy really great speakers and compromise their output by poor placement?

If you need a speaker package that can be in-wall mounted please try the THX system. They are designed with very rigid, shallow depth cabinets for just such a purpose. All drivers AND PORTS are front mounted so there is no deterioration of sound from placing them in wall cubbies. Or our in-wall series can provide a great HTexperience when paired with a proper subwoofer and carefully set up.

And designers- listen up- you may ONE and only ONE focal point per wall, preferably per room. jeepers....the fireplace/TV duel must end.

How about putting them on a small shelf with some type of casters with wood trim across the front to hide the casters, wheel them out to use then roll them back in ?

That sounds like a good ideal Dtel. I just hope he would have enough room as he is tight on the other dimensions.

Also, very nice looking room you have. I can't wait to see the pictures of everything installed. When all is said and done just enjoy them.

James

Edit: Almost forgot nice looking room , I see why you wanted to put them there, looks good.

Thanks. That is a great idea. Ill look into that.

All speaker cabinets have some resonances to the side walls, no matter how well they are braced. These vibrations and the bass output from the ports is part of the total 'voice' of the speaker (in other words, when we design the crossover networks, the speakers are completely out in the open). Not only that, but the ports are required to 'breathe' into a standard volume of room air which tunes the cabinet and affects how the woofers operate. These all work in concert with one another to give the total Klipsch sound. Taking the bass port out of the equation is somewhat akin to putting any replacment woofer into a Heresy cabinet- it just won't work as intended. Why buy really great speakers and compromise their output by poor placement?

If you need a speaker package that can be in-wall mounted please try the THX system. They are designed with very rigid, shallow depth cabinets for just such a purpose. All drivers AND PORTS are front mounted so there is no deterioration of sound from placing them in wall cubbies. Or our in-wall series can provide a great HTexperience when paired with a proper subwoofer and carefully set up.

And designers- listen up- you may ONE and only ONE focal point per wall, preferably per room. jeepers....the fireplace/TV duel must end.

I definitely appreciate the info. The problem is that the trim carpentar got liberal with his interpretation of the drawing....

The speakers werent supposed to be encased in cabinets. There was actually just space between the sides of the fireplace and the base of the cabinets.

However, the end result was individual cabinets for the speakers. So, at this point, I am just going to have to deal with it. Plus, even though I just recently got these and I could potentially return them, I dont think that I will.

You see, I really bargained with the sales person and got them for the lowest price Ive ever seen anyone get RF82 with an RC62 center for. I really had to fight to get this deal. Im not so sure it will go over well to return them and start the bargaining all over again....

... The problem is that the trim carpentar got liberal with his interpretation of the drawing....

The speakers werent supposed to be encased in cabinets. There was actually just space between the sides of the fireplace and the base of the cabinets.

However, the end result was individual cabinets for the speakers. So, at this point, I am just going to have to deal with it....You see, I really bargained with the sales person and got them for the lowest price Ive ever seen anyone get RF82 with an RC62 center for. I really had to fight to get this deal. Im not so sure it will go over well to return them and start the bargaining all over again....

What's that carpenters say about measuring several times but only cutting once? It appears you may have gotten the deal you wanted but not the one you needed...I can't say that I haven't learned that a time or two. ;-) Good luck on finding a solution--I am sure there is one to be had.

• 1 month later...

I realized that I hadnt provided a finished product photo. I figured that I would go ahead and post what the product looks like now that it is all said and done.

Also, I wanted to let everyone know that I think that the system sounds great. I actually dont use the fronts for bass anyhow, so the reduced bass output from being in a cabinet isnt a big factor to me.

I have attached a phot of the finished product. thanks for looking.

post-29217-1381936710942_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it looks really good... Cool

That is all that counts, how it sounds to you.... Yes

James

Thanks. I do think that it sounds pretty great. I tried to pull the RFs out a little bit to see if it added anything to the sound, but it didnt do anything. It sounds just as good inside the cabinets as it did outside.

I was concerned with the plasma and the center under it. I opted against spending $299 for a professional install of the plasma, so I had to make sure that I hung it high enough that the screen would clear the top of the RC62. But at the same time, I still wanted it to be fairly centered on the wall. So, I was pretty concerned that I would mess it up, but it turned out great. Im glad I did it myself and didnt spend the $299 to have someone else do it. Talk about a waste of $.

Anyhow. Hoping to upgrade my sub in the next month or two. Looking at the AV123 & eD a3-300. Anyone have any experience with those subs?