Attention Kwik-E Mart shoppers !

TheEAR

Tonight more pics of progress,good progress. Just waiting for acoustic material (by Friday should be home) to cover the inside walls. This thing will end up at around 210lbs empty. With driver 250lbs.

Less heavy than my dual TC-3000 15" beast ( ~320 lbs). My largest sub is yet to come as my ACoupower 18's arrive,it will be a monster of a cabinet. In the 400 plus lbs range,again dual cabinets.

I am on a DIY roll here [:D]

Thanks for all the good comments.

A the port is flared at both ends.

B the 40 pound driver is there to do a job and not for show.

C weaksauce,no the weak sauce is to own a SINGLE driver and have no proper cabinet and amp. [:P][:P][:P]

Do better than me build wise and we talk. [:P]

Plus a couple of ACOUPWER are comming... HA HA

A the port is flared at both ends.

you call that a flare?

B the 40 pound driver is there to do a job and not for show.

you call that doing the job?

C weaksauce,no the weak sauce is to own a SINGLE driver and have no proper cabinet and amp. Stick out tongueStick out tongueStick out tongue

its called I am in college and they frown on power tools in the dorms, they frown on my rf-83, they frown on anything I own. The RA asked me why I need my denon reciever and dvd player, why i need these speakr, etc....

Do better than me build wise and we talk. Stick out tongue

Plus a couple of ACOUPWER are comming... HA HA

Jay,

Maybe you should hang with some art or architecture students at your school. The arts building and college of architecture where I went to school both had decently equipped wood shops and I think also had at least one shop in the industrial technology area ... of course that was over 20 years ago and you might have to prove you're an art / architecture student and have a valid class project in order to use the power tools nowdays... and probably sign multiple waivers, etc (do universities still let college students use power tools anymore?)

Might have to go the compact route to fit in your dorm room with RF 83's - maybe size to fit under your bed? (your RA apparently has no musical taste). Maybe you need the RF83 as Jubilees won't fit in the dorm (and cost a lot more).

All these insane subwoofer projects makes me want to build one for myself ... but mine would definitely be a very minimal low budget affair and even that aint' gonna happen anytime soon.... maybe one of those tapped horns Doc built but would probably be too difficult to get right.

Can't wait to see some photos of the beasts people here are building

Flare ,yes both ends you have 3/4" roundovers. Enough with an 8" port. The air velocity will not reach critical where noise can be heard.

Doing the job ? Yes a well designed 40lbs 18" driver in its optimal configuration can do more than heavy drivers ...with no boxes to boot.

Jay,

Maybe you should hang with some art or architecture students at your school. The arts building and college of architecture where I went to school both had decently equipped wood shops and I think also had at least one shop in the industrial technology area ... of course that was over 20 years ago and you might have to prove you're an art / architecture student and have a valid class project in order to use the power tools nowdays... and probably sign multiple waivers, etc (do universities still let college students use power tools anymore?)

no architecture school here, art school does not have wood shops. engineering department has it but you cannot use the power tools and be an engineer

Might have to go the compact route to fit in your dorm room with RF 83's - maybe size to fit under your bed? (your RA apparently has no musical taste). Maybe you need the RF83 as Jubilees won't fit in the dorm (and cost a lot more).

I think i need a sonotube design.

All these insane subwoofer projects makes me want to build one for myself ... but mine would definitely be a very minimal low budget affair and even that aint' gonna happen anytime soon.... maybe one of those tapped horns Doc built but would probably be too difficult to get right.

Can't wait to see some photos of the beasts people here are building

Flare ,yes both ends you have 3/4" roundovers. thats like a trim pieces..... a real flare is double the size of the port [:)] Enough with an 8" port. The air velocity will not reach critical where noise can be heard.

Doing the job ? Yes a well designed 40lbs 18" driver in its optimal configuration can do more than heavy drivers ...with no boxes to boot.

Real flare, you will teach me what a real flare is ! Huh?

hmmm

portsheader.jpg

ports.jpg

As a service to our customers, we have tooled massive 7" and 10" I.D. ports.
The 10" I.D. port is a perfect match for one of our 18" Drivers or two of our
15" drivers. The 7" port is a perfect match for one Acoupower 15" driver. Each
Port consists of large 0.062" aluminum flares for each end, and a long thick
walled paper tube to run between the flares. The 10" tube is 15" long and the
7" tube is 20" long. Both may be cut to another length as needed. An Acoupower
15" Driver and 7" port provide a new level of performance to high end Studio
Monitors and High End Home applications requiring lower tunings. The geometry
and thickness of the Aluminum flares as well as the thick wall of the tubes
give these ports tremendous stiffness and strength. Both the flares and
the tubes are made locally.

To be effective, at least 3-4" of space around the flare openings
should be free of obstacles both inside and outside the box.

Please note the flares are enormous. The larger ones have a diameter
nearly the same as that of an 18" driver and the smaller ones have an O.D.
larger than a 12" driver. Basic drawings are available below.

"The 10" I.D. port is a perfect match for one of our 18" Drivers or two of our
15" drivers."

I've done the math 3 times on each of 4 different cabinet sizes, while trying to tune for 32Hz - and this just does not compute...