Best choice for hf driver, la skilla buildup Frazier bass horns! 106db!! Ever seen a pair of these?

bullbaiter

This is my first post ever, so have some patience. I am the new proud owner of a pair of frazier bass horns. They were built two ways, with and without a hf section. I have the ones without. They are designed to accept an altec 511 horn I am told. The dimensions seem to support that. I was going to go with altec 902-8b drivers and 511 horns because of oem fitment. They have factory 2 way x-overs with gain controls. I currently have a pair of commercial herecy's acting as an hf cabnet. They are crossed over at 500 hz I am told. They sound super, and are as nice as my la scalas, I swear it. I would like to complete the hf section and free up my herecy's. I have dibs on another set of frazier bass cabs, and was planning on using those with the herecy's. Any input that might be useful?

post-30193-13819361159028_thumb.jpg

bullbaiter: Hello and welcome to the forum. Yours is the first Frazier horn I have seen. Could you please explain in more detail what sort of LF driver the horns contain currently. I consider myself somewhat of a neophyte in the area of heritage-style equipment and there are many folks here more experienced in this area than I who I am certain will chime in and offer their wizdom on your setup. I'll bet they sound awesome.

One thing I would like to offer; I own a pair of the newer, Heresy IIIs and absolutely love them. You mentioned using your Commercial Heresies as the temporary HF-side for your bass horn combination. I see from the photo that you have the Heresy tipped onto its side. My concern would be that placing a Heresy on its side would greatly diminish the ability of both the midrange and tweeter horns to provide a wide enough dispersion angle within the listening room. Both horns are rectangular and when turned vertically, their dispersion angle would be considerably more narrow than if they were placed horizontally. Perhaps this is not a consideration of yours if you have a single listening point within the room? Any way, nice setup and best of luck in your search for an appropriate HF driver for your Fraizer Bass horns! -Glenn

Let me start by saying thanks for the reply. The horns are factory stock units, I am told that they are ev components but I do not know for sure. I have never opened them up. At least not yet. They sound superb, and could sound better with the right electronics i am sure. That is why I have joined the forum. I want to know more about them. I bought these on my crusade to own a nice set of klipschorn's. I will be buying another set of frazier texan folded bass enclosures next, the klipschorns will have to wait. As will my wish list of mc amps and such.. MY basshorns are being powered by a yamaha m-80 amp and they do the trick.

The sound dispersion is really very good from the herecy's even though they are on there side. They have a much shorter profile this way, and it is a temporary thing. I will be buying hf horns soon. I just want to do the right thing the first time. The la scallas do a nice job up front, these are in the rear of my seating area.

I almost bought a pair of Frazier "Dixielanders" a few years ago. I hear the Frazier stuff is nice for LF but the horns and drivers that usually came with them are not so hot... but I can't say that I have ever heard a pair, so I can't confirm or deny this. I would think an Altec horn would mate well with these. If you're remotely interested in fiddling with crossover frequncies and have a spare amp to bi-amp, I have a pair of Yamaha electronic crossovers I am selling. PM me if interested, and enjoy those horns!

The fraziers have a 500hz 2-way x-over already. I would like to stick with that for now. However, I could use a crash course in bi-amping. What is required, how do you do it etc. I am including a pic of my system up front. As you can see I am lacking in the electronics department. Right now I am running the la scalas with my yamaha rx-v793 and the frazier/herecy combo with a 3 ch yamaha m-80. I have them hooked up to the a channel only. I use the rx-v793 to run a pair of kg4's a pair of kg1.5's and a kv2 as well for all the surround sound stuff. However i am selling all the surround sound stuff on e-bay right now . I am using the money to finish up the frazier's p.s. the wharfedale rosedale's sold last week.... all original, consecutive #s, almost mint condition!!

I truly hated to sell them.

post-30193-13819361179456_thumb.jpg

Excellent score on the Frazier bass boxes. The Helmholtz radiator slots are Jack's signature and he had the math down to near perfection. You may or may not know that Jack was the only other designer PWK really liked, and they had a friendly rivalry in design. It will be my opinion until someone conclusively proves otherwise that Heresy was PWK's answer to the Frazier Mark IV.

It is not a bit surprising they work so well with the Heresies as they are "cousins" in a way. I use Mark IV's in the rear of my K'horn/Cornwall/K'horn system when in HT mode (I also have it switchable to all tube 2 channel...I want it ALL). Same philosophy as PWK, different approach. Jack equaled PWK's horn and corner efficiencies with direct radiators and ports, the Helmholtz designs being his finest work. The little Monte Carlos have to be the most efficient speakers for their range, size, and sound ever designed.

Enjoy! You have a masterpiece.

Dave

Are these Monte Carlos? Do you have any advice for the hf section. I am including a pic from the point of convergance to help get a better idea of room size and such. Thank you for the input. I would like to know as much as I can about the fraziers, and so far along with reading all related posts, you have been the most informative. Thanks. Casey.

I assume you are talking about the ones you have since there was no pix...no way. I've not looked them up, but what you have are Frazier commercial products.

Monte Carlos are very small bookshelf units, 8" woofers and various sized tweeters depending upon the year made and design. The best were the Super Monte Carlo with piezo tweet and rear ported modified Helmholtz radiator. Nicely flat from 50-15k and rolled off at both ends so smoothly you never really feel like you are missing anything.

Dave

Thanks, do you know anything about jubs? I can see one of those huge horns atop the big frazier's, can't you? Do they sell the hf portion seperately? Where does one get pricing on such a thing?

I don't know anything about the Fraziers so this might be useless...

As I was reading it, I was wondering if you could use a K402 (big horn on top of Jubilee)

We're crossing them with active crossovers at 500 hz so you seem to be in the ballpark. You CAN buy the K402/K69 as a seperate unit and as I understand it, it's "about $1,000" each, delivered to your door. Roy (Delgado, AKA "Badcaw Boy") would be the specific person to talk to about that.

I'd wonder though... with the 402, we're using some PEQ's and I'd presume you'd need the same equalization so I'd expect that to bring an issue with regard to simply putting it on top and plugging it in.

Then again... if you biamped the entire speaker, Roy might not know how to EQ the Frazier....

Could one use an active xover and cross at 500, allow the active to manage the signal to the K402 and allow the passive to manage the signal to the Frazier?

The bass horns are 36" wide 40" tall and 21 1/2" deep with a radius flair for the altec 511's that protrudes out to 27" Do you know the dimensions on the k402 and even better contact info for someone who sells them? Trying to upload a pic from a distance. I had some trouble doing it yesterday.

post-30193-13819361220882_thumb.jpg

As per their 'cut sheet', the Jubilee (3 way) is 41.5 inches wide. I was going to guess the K402 was 36" (I HAVE measured it, I'm at work and simply don't remember)

Even at 41 1/2", it's not much bigger than your bass bin and I think you'd be ok on the depth too. As for "someone who sells them", I'd again urge you to contact Roy (roy.delgado@klipsch.com) and put the specific to him.

I can measure the 402 when I get home later but someone else will probably beat me to the punch.

One nice thing about living in the realm of 'plug ugly speakers' is, you have a much wider selection of speakers you can use and gosh darn, if some of them don't in fact sound pretty 'decent'!

[Y]

Just measured and the 402 is about 39" wide (outer lip to outer lip), 27" tall (again, outer lip to outer lip) and about 19" deep from the face of the speaker to the back of the magnet.

The 27" tall includes the base that comes with it (it's about 3/4" triangle shaped piece of plywood)