Rosewood La Scalas

greg928gts

Greg, Those will look stunning!.

I had a couple of quick questions about the access panel above the doghouse. Do you install (or was it done at the factory) a strip of foam or gasket material to ensure an airtight seal where the hatch (the "homeplate" - shape) meets the top (or is it bottom) of the doghouse?

Also, I imagine the screw holes (going through the edge of the hatch and into the vertical pieces) will strip out if it is opened and re-opened too many times. Do they (or you) use metal thread inserts or something? I assume the hatch needs to be adequately tightened to keep the cavity somewhat airtight.

Thanks,

-Tom

Finish pics will be put up on the webpage as I finish them.

The insides of the front openings were partially finished in rosewood and then black paint towards the back. There will be grills in the front. You'll see!

Tom - these LS bottoms were turned upside down so access to the woofers will be from the top. Originally, this access was at the bottom of the speaker, and the bottom plate, which is about the size of the bottom of the LS, had a gasket around the perimeter. Screws were originally installed through the wood cover into the carcass, and yes, they do tend to strip out if taken out too many times.

I will be installing clear lexan covers inside the opening you see, and I'll have to figure out a way to hold them in. I haven't crossed that bridge yet. Probably T-nuts mounted on blocks inside the doghouse. I will use a black gasket. The insides of the doghouses have been painted black.

Greg