new avr and new klipsch owner has a few questions?

draynes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well starting to lean toward a 7 channel avr. AS long as I can bridge the front 2 channels. Because I only have room for a 5.1 on my current house. Maybe a Onyko 805, Marantz 7001 or something around that price line. Concerned with the Onkyo being to bright though. only way to find out is to try it I guess. Both of those can be found for around 600 roughly. But a must is multi-channel inputs. for the connection of blue ray. Any suggestions?

onkyo is a great receiver. I just got my 605 in and love it. I think I will run my ps3 with HDMI to the receiver also. I was running a optical audio cable from it, but i heard it is better to use the HDMI on avsfoums. o well.

I was getting dolby Digital from my xbox 360 though with a optical cable. I ran the 360 via component to the tv, then a optical to the receiver. works great.

Do you find it to be bright at all? How hard do you have to push it to get to movie watching volume. Ability to bridge the front 2 channel should make the RF"s scream in 2 channel. SO will most likely run 5.1 for blue ray to the receiver. That way I will get the best connection for my situation and then run a HDMI to dvi for my TV. I think this is how I am going to do it. But maybe if I can get a avr with HDMI 1.3v I will use an HDMI.

On line line I can get the 805 for $530 + shipping. I would think that is hard to beat. But looking into used market also. Maybe hk but I get on the problems I have read and the lower wattage. Unless I go back a few years. Can any one comment on Onkyo 805 or up being considered bright for use with RF-7 theater?

• Moderators

Maybe hk but I get on the problems I have read and the lower wattage. Unless I go back a few years.

Not sure what you mean here. I am using an HK AVR55 (55 watts/ch) to power my RF-83's and it handles them beautifully. If it is clean power, low wattage isn't a problem.

I've previously had an Onkyo and loved it as well. They both make great receivers.

What I meant was there are some hk receivers a few years ago that were 120 wpc. I have read that is you mistakenly cross wire's it damages the hk almost immediately. All though I think hk would probably suit my taste best. But to get an hk with the capabilities of the Onkyo i would have to spend a lot more. Do you think that avr55 pushes the 83's well? how hard do you have to push it to get to movie volume. I have the RF-7 kinda of similar I guess. I just want the best for the money. We all know the game unless you have unlimited funds. Thanks for all that great input everyone.

• Moderators

What I meant was there are some hk receivers a few years ago that were 120 wpc.

Yeah, I have noticed that myself that HK doesn't really sell a 140 w/ch receiver. Wish they would.

I have read that is you mistakenly cross wire's it damages the hk almost immediately.

I would think any receiver would be damaged immediately due to crossed wires. That's never a good thing.

But to get an hk with the capabilities of the Onkyo i would have to spend a lot more.

Currently Onkyo definitely has one of the best bang for your buck in features, power etc than most other receivers.

Do you think that avr55 pushes the 83's well? how hard do you have to push it to get to movie volume.

I have no doubt that it does. I think the receiver goes from 0 to 90. Highest I have ever cranked it was 65. For music, I usually have it at 45 (comfortable volume). 55 is pretty loud. 65 is HOLY COW crankin! I think this has a lot to do with the fact that the RF-83's and RF-7's are extremely sensitive. They need very little to push them. Higher wattage would provide me with better lows, probably a better dynamic overall but can the AVR55 handle them, absolutely.

Funds are usually an issue. Will I be using my HK forever, nope. When we build our theater room, I will either have a high powered receiver or separates with a 200 w/ch amp. Just allows for more headroom, adds a huge dynamic to the bottom end even at low volumes and a number of other benefits. That route however is quite espensive.

• Moderators

When you have your receiver at 65 with nothing playing can you hear any hiss when you put your ear near the tweeter?

If I only turn the receiver on, yes, I can hear a hiss from the tweeter at 65. If I turn the dvd player on, without hitting the play button, there is no his. Pure silence. Why do you ask?

Well current avr has hiss at about 50%, I think this is some kind of distortion. For the sake of the matter my current avr is pos. Thats why I am looking for a new one. Why does yours hiss with nothing on? Why does it top when DVD player is turned on? Is there some way the receiver sees that nothing is coming through and shuts the amp down?

• 1 month later...

Well I ended up Getting a H/K avr 335, It sounds a lot better. But the rf-7's still want more power. Amazing what only a true 50 watts a channel can do. I got everything hooked today I am so glad I went with h/k. Later down the line I will probaly add an amp but for its good I can't even sit in the room when its turned up. If any has a simlar receiver I have some question. Thanks yu to every one for the help.

• Moderators

Glad you like the HK. I just sold my AVR55 which is similar to yours in power but mine did not have DTS, multi-source, S-video inputs or Component inputs. I can understand the RF-7's wanting more power. The 55 watts/ch did push my RF-83's quite well but a separate 265 watt/ch amp took them to a whole new level. Like you said, power isn't that big of a problem since you can always add an amp later. What questions did you have about your new HK receiver?