Is it worth dampening my Chorus II midrange horn?

paully

is it always at the same place(s) on a certain recording or is it pretty well present on any recording you pick? I find that a few recordings have some grain that my forte II's will expose. I wrote it up to the recordings though. I could hear the graininess to a much lesser degree on my cornwall II's in the same places on the same recordings.

Kimball

I know for a fact that I hear buzzing sometimes on tv feed. Drives me nuts making sure it is the feed. On some sources there can be snare drum buzz and other such noise, I can tell because as a drummer I remember my snare drum buzzing at certain frequencies and the only way to stop it would be to gently lower the snare lever and then gently raise it back up before playing again.

I am really starting to wonder if I haven't put such a good system together that some of my poorly recorded material is being shown for what it is. It is usually in male voices at a certain frequency and it always is exactly the same at the same place.

Good horns are dual edge swords. I have many recordings that I will not play on my Khorns because they are poorly recorded. Your friend probably does not have as good of an ear as you. That also is normal.

A choir of people is one of the best tests to hear a speaker fail.

One more thing... You mention it is a male voice. Male voices go into woofer range too. I had a woofer voice coil fail on me a long time ago and at first I thought it was the midrange. I could get it to fail more often at louder volume then I could hear it was the woofer. I have found it easier to get a woofer to fail when you test it in the open air rather than in the cabinet.

Do you hear it on one speaker or both? Try it in Mono and see. Since you can reproduce the sound that would be a good test.

Your speakers are at the age you may want to replace the caps in your xovers.

Also, yes, it is only the Aluminum horns that need dampening.

JM

I was grappling with a threefold problem, which is what made it a nightmare. Old caps in the crossover, tubes that had gone noisy but I didn't realize it, and some quesitonable recordings. We changed out the crossovers - that made an impact. Everything was groovy and then some new tubes I had put in got noisy - that took a while to figure out. Put in some new tubes and audio nirvana is back. I listened to the recordings on my friend's speakers and they make the same noise but to a lesser extent. With a change in the crossovers, like I said, the problem really seems to have been alleviated to the extent that the problem is on the recordings. I don't think the Klipsch are the problem anymore though the old crossovers did seem to be contributing. The more I listen to these crossovers the more I realize they are having a massive impact. As I said, money well spent. Very well spent. Wife loves them too.

That's nice to know you are happy with the Chorus II and the 300B amps. Most people talk about the Chorus IIs needing a lot of power.

Also glad to know you are getting it all sorted out.

Bruce