Newly acquired Forte worth repairing?

I just recently got a pair of 1985 Klipsch Fortes and i am wondering if its worth trying to bring them back to life. The base sounds very weak and im guessing that is because of the deterioration of the poly-foam suspension. I cant really tell because i cant get the grate off the speakers, any tips on getting them off would be appreciated.[:D]

Also why im asking if its worth it because im not sure if they will work with my other speakers:

** Cerwin Vega LS-10s

http://www.epinions.com/Cerwin_Vega_LS_10_10__3_Way_Floor_Standing_Speaker__Floor_Standing_Speaker_LS_10/display_~full_specs

** Infinity Entra Sub

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Infinity_Entra_Sub_Home_Audio_Subwoofer

Also i hear a rumer that the Fortes are sensitive to specific recivers?

I am considering buying the JVC RXD301, any thoughts on if it will be balanced or powerfull enough for this speaker configuration?

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=JVCRXD301S&ref=pricegrabberJVCRXD301S

Thanks for the help!!

(Sorry if the questions are really basic im new [:$])

How do you mean work with these others? I think the grills are just pegs into receptacles. Weak bass could be from a bad connection inside or a failed crossover (not likely but possible). There is no poly foam surround, Klipsch surrounds for all practical purposes last forever. If they are damaged that's one thing, but they are not "deteriorated" I can almost guarantee. These speakers are very forgiving of amplifier sources not the other way around.

I have a pair of '87 Forte's and they're fantastic. That said, you should do a search here about replacing some of the original stuff inside. Crossovers would probably be a good start. There are a couple of folks here that can supply new ones that are regulars here. I had mine replaced by Bob Crites, and they're simply an amazing speaker at this point.

Power sources is important to consider. In general, Klipsch speakers, especially the older ones, seem to better with tubes than solid stage. The Forte's are very sensitive, so you don't need a lot to power them, I do fine in a small room with a 6 watt tupe amp. But others use them wih 100+ watts. Again, I would suggest you do a search.

As far as the grilles, they are just plugged. They shouldn't be hard to get off.

I just poped the grills off its the origional configuration alright, and like it was mentioned nothing has deteriorated. When i asked if they would work together I ment if it was a good balance of speakers. From reading on this fourm it seems the that Forte is a "balanced" speaker so naturally it doesnt have much base.(seems crazy to me with 2 monster subs but o well...). Im looking for this setup to be for partys at college and im looking to get some noise violations with these babys.

So maybe i should just invest in a better sub? Quite honestly the infinity sub is not powerfull enough to make up for the fortes.

Any suggestions on a sub for most BANG for the buck?

I have a pair of Fortes and my buddy has a pair of Forte II's that I sold him and with my experience, the bass should rattle your windows. I think you need to check if there is not a loose wire or something. It is hard for me to believe the bass isn't impressing you. Voice coil damage? Xover? I'm curious what the issue may be.

If they were working properly you would be so impressed.

Tom

set the speakers about 15" from the back wall to get more bass.

also, what receiver are you using? Is it a surround receiver setup to crossover the bass out of the front speakers and into a sub? Run the receiver in stereo mode with no sub crossover. The fortes should then pound pretty good. Not like a booming car sub, but nice and full.

What do you have hooked up to the receiver for a source? CD or DVD Player? Is the interconnect in good shape?