Finally!

neo33

I was in no way questioning your choice ............. I am not a basshead either, but Klipsch doesn't reach low like other brands of speakers. Every speaker sounds different in other rooms ................. There is no right or wrong, only what serves the owners needs, no matter what speaker you listen to !!!

Congrats on the classic La Scalas, neo. I've never listened to a pair yet (only Klipschorns, Cornwalls, and Heresys), but I'm sure I'd like 'em too...maybe someday when I have more room for them.

Any plans to possibly modify their networks, or just leave them original?

I agree with both oldbuckster and colter. IMO, I think the La Scalas is better for vocal Jazz. I have no plan to retire the Cornwalls. I have moved them into my smaller room.

Jim, I think I will stay with the original crossovers. What I need now is some help to reveneer my La Scalas.

Jim, I think I will stay with the original crossovers. What I need now is some help to reveneer my La Scalas.

If you need some pointers, PM Greg Roberts (greg928gts). He's one of a few here who restore Klipsch cabinets to better-than-new condition IMHO.

Neo:

Those are nice, and the Moondogs are a very good match, IMO, with the AE-1. Kind of a shame they stopped making that preamp, actually. I think some aspects of the circuit had room for improvement, particularly the grounding scheme, and I'm not sure of the one you have, but it is a very good preamp in terms of FR. I designed the preamp I built a few years ago after it, and haven't even thought of making another. It's silent, even with very efficient horns -- not unlike the Transcendet Grounded Grid and JM Peach.

And what OPTs do your Moondoggies use? (wink, wink)

I'm sure that combination is really good. I sometimes wish we still had our La Scalas. Wonderful speakers, despite their slightly more shallow bass response compared to Klipschorns. It may sound crazy, but the setup you have, if the speakers are a fair distance from one another, sounds wonderful with a Heresy in between them. I know this isn't the dinosaur two-channel approach, but I found it to be extremely good; and at least maybe worth an experiment just for kicks sometime.

Erik

"What I need now is some help to reveneer my La Scalas."

You might be better off just stripping and refinishing. I have a pair of Birch Raw '89 LaScala's that were slop stained. I cleaned them up enough that they look like raw birch again. One top panel needs to be re-veneered.

I ain't looking forward to it....but I gotta do it....and will practice on some junk enclosures to get practice.

I'm keeping my cornwalls too.

I played Deep Purple "Lazy" from Made In Japan on my LaScala's the other day because I've always loved the way Jon Lord just crams that Hammond through the wringer at the intro......ever since I was in 4th grade I've loved that intro...

I have a nice Pioneer SX-780 100 watt receiver here for a friend that I cleaned up. Yeah, yeah...overkill, bad match, blah blah....but I wanted to nut up on these LaScala's and see if they can hang.

I hit about 12 watts on each meter with that Pioneer.......those LaScalas belched out that ragged/ring-modulated Hammond in the most glorious fashion. To me.....

They do sound rather good with single-ended tube amplifiers, and 6BQ5 PP as well. With the right recording of course. It is kind of annoying a speaker that dictates your taste in music. (or particular recordings)