Sub-12 or RW10d? + a bonus RS42 placement question.

mariode

Hey all. I currently have the following setup:

Harmon Kardon AVR 347

Front: RB-51's

Center: RC-52

Surround: RS-42's

Sub 12

I am currently considering changing out my Sub 12 for the RW10d. Do you

think this would be a good setup? My Family room/Kitchen is overall

around 13' X 33' and the floor is all tile. I will be getting an area

rug for the family room as soon as I can so right now acoustics is the

main issue. Can anyone offer the pros and cons in changing out the

subwoofer?

Now, question 2: I have yet to mount the RS-42 surrounds. I am

considering mounting them flush against the side walls around 9' up

(the wife wants them out of the way). Should I go with the flush

mounting or should I get a bracket to point them down towards the

listening area. They will each be about 7'away from the center of the

couch.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I would upgrade to the RSW 10 or possibly try and find a used RSW 12 or 15 if you want a serious upgrade. If you go the latter route, I suggest contacting Klipsch to make sure the Amp and Pre Amp is still going to be available if anything goes wrong.

Then there is always the non-Klipsch route... ;-)

I auditioned both and if I were to choose I would stay with the Sub-12, the RW-12d also has ping pongy sound to it.  Sub-12, your good!!!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.Smile

I've got an RW-12d and hear no "ping pongy" sound. I've never heard a sub-12, but am very pleased with my RW-12d.

Tucson eh? My wife is from there and I'm orignally from Douglas. Also have most of my family in Tucson. Navy has had us out in San Diego for quite some time now.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger and upgrade to the RW-12d, I like the presets that it offers and it's only 80 bucks more for me.

Thanks for the advice

I tested out both the Sub-12 and the RW-10d. I did notice some port noise on the RW10d but nothing like that on the Sub-12. I thought it was just the demo room I was in being poorly designed. Granted these were tested in 2 different stores so a true side by side did not happen. I did however hear the port noise mentioned earlier and we weren't pushing the 10 all that hard. On the sub-12 we did crank up the volume a bit and it performed nicely.

Guest srobak

I have a Sub12 which I have mixed into a Reference environment
consisting of RF35s, RC62s and RS42s, and I think it is a perfect
fit... but - those are my ears. I have had my Sub12 for over a year
now, and it has been flawless, and delivers nothing short of "fist of
god" caliber pounding... very happy with it. No huffing, chuffing, pingy pongy or paintball gun sounds... :)

Posted Image

That is one gorgeous system srobak! I really wish the wife would allow me to have floorstanders. Instead I'm stuck with RB-51's! I might look for some floorstanding speaker covers though to help my cause.

nezff, I can't place my RS-42's in the back wall because it's in the kitchen. My floor plan is open so the family room extends into this vacant space in front of the fireplace (where my pool table is going) and then the kitchen. It's about 30-45 feet long (I suck at gauging distances!)

Guest srobak

They are on the back walls. At the time of the picture I did not have a panoramic camera, and I was also breaking them in. :)

Mariode> Nothing wrong with the bookshelf models. They sound pretty darn good in fact. Just gotta mate them with the right sub and yo uwill be good to go :) I recommend the 12. :)