Keeping the seal

lightning33

I have the Custom-2s and have no issue getting a good seal...as long I stand still. Once I start moving around and especially start smiling, the seal is gone, most notably in my right ear. I exercise a lot and keeping that seal has proven difficult. I spent 200 on these things and would like to keep them. If I cannot figure out this seal issue, are they returnable? I only ask because I bought them about 1 and a half months ago and cannot send them back easily because I am in Iraq. Thanks for the help!!!

I was going to suggest the larger tips. I cannot keep a seal with the medium single flanges and the larger dual flange are too small or go in too deep. I also have trouble keeping a seal with the large flange. With the medium single flange, as simple yawn or face contortion, even a smile would break the seal. Though I do lose the seal quite a bit with the large single flange though not as bad as with the medium.

At times, I almost think I could use an extra large tip. Are any extra large available or in the works?

I have the Custom-2s and have no issue getting a good seal...as long I stand still. Once I start moving around and especially start smiling, the seal is gone, most notably in my right ear. I exercise a lot and keeping that seal has proven difficult.

BSam,

If you push real hard the ear tips might touch each other, or at least it feels that way.

J Lightning33,

There is a trade off between comfort and secure fit. A secure fit occurs by using the identical impression of your ear canal (custom ear shells) or ADDING ADDITIONAL FORCE to the seal. This is a dilemma because in most situations you would prefer comfort more than any other aspect.
I have a similar issue as you had described. For me the right ear canal works great but the left ear is trickier. I would like you to try this. It helped me:

If you are not getting a seal try over bending the wire slightly so the nozzle points more up than it did. This would only be about 3-5 degrees different, but you are trying to point the nozzle to the center of your canal. Next you may try bending the wire so the nozzle is forward a bit. Up and forward seems to work for me.

People have also used the Comply ear tips with our product. They are expensive and don’t last very long. They get dirty easily but if shoe fits…The problem is our nozzle is not designed for their tip. If you push real hard it will go on but we have not tested the force to remove it. The Comply really grips your ear canal so you might end up with a stuck ear tip if you are not careful. You can test the force by pulling it off once. But again using Comply eartips on our product IS NOT RECOMMEND BY KLIPSCH. (or any of our lawyers for that matter J)

BSam,

If you push real hard the ear tips might touch each other, or at least it feels that way.

Professor Thump,

My wife and others have said my head is hollow.... but seriously, I think I get close to bottoming out and need to experiment more with angling things a bit. Even when I think I get a good seal with my Custom 2, pushed way in, I can often hear people talking louder and clearer than I think I should be able to but other times can't really understand them without removing. There are times I wonder if an extra large flange might help.

That said, part of the problem may be the lotion my doctor's having me use for my itching ears. I think the seal is compromised by the lotion. I'm hoping things work better when the annoying itch goes away. Saw my normal doctor recently who has me trying hydrocortizone lotion. Previous doctor had me try some drops with hydrocortizone and vinegar (no wonder I couldn't stand the smell).