Onkyo, Yamaha and Denon: Your Preferance?

Some things are just meant to be.

I'm getting settled in with the new big Sony (KDL 52W3000) and can really tell the difference between resolutions. Upsampling is in order, thought I'd do it with a new receiver when the time came, but no rush. However... The last couple days when I turn on the stereo, my left channel starts out crackly and fuzzy, but gets better as it runs for 5 minutes or so. Switched sources and amp channel leads, checked connections, all ok, appears to be something internal to the receiver. Yamaha I've had for likely 10 years. Looks like I'll be getting upsampling earlier than I expected, but that's ok. Which leads me to this post.

I've looked around for information here a little without much luck, AVSForum has info but I don't have time to pore over 100 page threads, so I figured I'd ask for opinions from those that have, had, or have heard the following: Onkyo TX-SR875, Denon AVR3808CI and Yamaha RX-V3800. I can't give you room dimensions since I am in between houses right now. Rock, classical, jazz, old country, most every style but opera and hip hop/rap. Likely 70/30 music/movies, but movies might go higher as I get used to having the TV and get the surround stuff set up. Currently driving KG4's and Advents, but expect to be getting new speaks fairly soon, likley Large Klipsch Heritage series. Possibly Cornwalls, possibly Horns, not sure yet. I can see myself setting up a computer music server a little down the road, so being able to integrate to that is a factor, but certainly not a deal breaker. Just looking for what people do or don't like about these units, nowhere within 100 miles for me to audition any of them. Remote functionality, ease of use, general set up, any unexpected glitches in operation, satisfaction with customer service, all that sort of stuff that a spec sheet can't tell you.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a Yamaha htr-6090 which is basically the same as a 1700 I love it. The only thing mine will not do is upconvert a signal that comes in on hdmi.

I don't know why. The newer and fancier 3800 should have no problem with that though. And really my Mitsubishi does a pretty nice job of upconverting anyway. The menu is a pain to navigate. You really have to have the manual in front of you because it's just not a good arrangement, Once it's set up though no problem.

What a small world, h00kem, I just got off the phone with my mom, she called from the on ramp to I35, right in Round Rock. They live out in Sun City.

Thanks for the opinion and comparison, haven't had time to check it out yet but will soon. If the price were taken out of it, where would your choice have fallen, and why?

Sun City is out near where my gf parents live...know that area of Georgetown well. Anyways...

Price taken out and all three are the same...the Reon processor still wins.

Denon is Faroudja (3800)...they use the Reon in their higher end lines

Yamaha uses Anchor Bay Technologies (ABT 1010)...while I would actually say ABT is on par with Reon the ABT 1010 is not.

So, hands down...Onkyo...price is just the icing.

I'd take the Denon,if they all cost the same,which they don't.The Denon can be bettered at it's retail price.The 805 for $649 is a great price but having owned several Onkyos 7xx/8xx9xx over the years,they did not quite do justice to Klipsch.I owned two Yamahas,a few years back,they were mid/lower end,sounded very poor with Klipsch,all imo.

edit; for HT either of these units would be fine.I'm usually thinkin' "music"when I think of best unit for the money.

I think what he's looking for is most bang for the buck. Based on the three he put up his budget is in the $1500 range. The other is he's looking for an HT receiver which would be a good upconverter for his TV and sound system.

I agree with what's been said about the higher end Denon's, Marantz, etc...that they can deliver a better sound but you'll compromise budget. And IMHO, the difference in sound isn't worth the added $$$.

Onkyo 875 is still the clear winner, again IMHO, sitting at $1000 with the Reon chip.

I think what he's looking for is most bang for the buck. Based on the three he put up his budget is in the $1500 range. The other is he's looking for an HT receiver which would be a good upconverter for his TV and sound system.

I agree with what's been said about the higher end Denon's, Marantz, etc...that they can deliver a better sound but you'll compromise budget. And IMHO, the difference in sound isn't worth the added $$$.

I'd say h00kem hit it on the head.

It appears I should have made it more clear I was only interested in the three models listed originally, not manufacturer impressions in general or other models by the same manufacturer. The lower numbered/older ones don't/won't have the same options, higher priced ones are likely better, but out of my league at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound unapreciative, but knowing how someones Monte Carlo has been for them doesn't help someone that's shopping for a Caprice. This is not ontended as an end-all for 2 channel, and I never thought I'd be worried about having surround, but with the new tv, I need something to upsample; with the current receiver dying, I need a new power source/controller. I figured these would be above average and should last me years.

I wish the Onkyo was more computer friendly and I've heard some poor reviews about their customer support. It would make the decision easier.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far, please keep em coming. I've been up till 3 a few nights reading over at AVSForum. Need to do something before I lose my receiver completly.

Then from your prospective models I guess I would take the Yamaha 3800. I had a 2700, which is
essentially the same receiver.. and it was #2 best behind my Marantz.

But I'd still take even a 7002 over any of those. And, at less MSRP than any of 'em too.

Then again, you're right... it's your Caprice. Good luck.

I don't want to look back and think I made a mistake...

What's the name of the online Marantz retailer I was looking at a couple weeks ago? A few people have mentioned it in other threads, I just never bookmarked it.

*Edit*

P.S.... I don't think anything in the class we're talking would be considered "vanilla" like a Caprice would. To me, at least, we're already comparing midrange Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz, all several steps over what 98% of the world will ever even consider for a stereo/video purchase. None of them will be "bad", as in not able to do the task they were intended, but like their automotive counterparts, each one will excel at one aspect or another, while another may not execute that function as well. Even if comparing the Ferarri Enzo, Porsche Cerrera GT and the McLaren F1, one of them has to have the weakest brakes and most sluggish acceleration. Like I said, I expect them to all work very well, I'm more interested in overall satisfaction with the units, the programming interface, the remote, how the manufacturer treated you if there were warranty issues, etc.

I don't want to look back and think I made a mistake...

What's the name of the online Marantz retailer I was looking at a couple weeks ago? A few people have mentioned it in other threads, I just never bookmarked it.

*Edit*

P.S.... I don't think anything in the class we're talking would be considered "vanilla" like a Caprice would. To me, at least, we're already comparing midrange Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz, all several steps over what 98% of the world will ever even consider for a stereo/video purchase. None of them will be "bad", as in not able to do the task they were intended, but like their automotive counterparts, each one will excel at one aspect or another, while another may not execute that function as well. Even if comparing the Ferarri Enzo, Porsche Cerrera GT and the McLaren F1, one of them has to have the weakest brakes and most sluggish acceleration. Like I said, I expect them to all work very well, I'm more interested in overall satisfaction with the units, the programming interface, the remote, how the manufacturer treated you if there were warranty issues, etc.

You're absolutely right on this...there is ALWAYS going to be something better out there. Either wait a bit and the new product line will be better or spend more money. It all comes down to being frugal. Go ahead and set your price point, select the features you'd like to see, then listen to owner feedback. It's what you can afford and live with that is all that matters.

If you get the Onkyo 875 you'll be very happy with the sound and to boot the Reon onboard. Besides, it's not like you'll be switching it out with the Denon 5308 to compare each day. If you change your price point this becomes a different argument but right now the price difference isn't giving you the most bang for the buck. There are so many other things that go into sound (i.e. room config, accustical treatments, etc) which would give you more and cost less than buying a higher end receiver (IMHO.)

Then from your prospective models I guess I would take the Yamaha 3800. I had a 2700, which is essentially the same receiver.. and it was #2 best behind my Marantz.

But I'd still take even a 7002 over any of those. And, at less MSRP than any of 'em too.

Then again, you're right... it's your Caprice. Good luck.

He's looking for a good HT receiver which means he wants a good upconverter chip. The Yamaha uses ABT 1010 which is their lowest line which doesn't even compare to a Faroudja much less the Reon. As far as the Marantz 7002 it only upconverts to 480p/480i the Onkyo 875 does 1080p (XA2 processing on all sources.) For the most part the Onkyo trumps Marantz (more watts per channel, better upconverter, burr brown DACs) and is on par with other features. So, I question your reasoning to suggest a Yamaha or even Marantz especially with no reasoning besides just a suggestion.

BTW, the caprice comment is completely asinine. Simply throwing an inuendo that what he's choosing is a budget receiver is ridiculous.

Why do people get all giddy about a receiver's upconversion anyway? I don't
even know why manufacturers put money into that technology there when your
source gear OR your display will do that for you, assuming you're running semi-recent equipment.

Granted, the upconversion for older component sources would be useful for some.
I'll give you that one. And if the OP needs that, go with the Denon or
Onkyo.

Wattage.. 140 vs 130 vs 110. There is essentially zero difference here.

Believe me, I researched AVRs in this price zone a TON. Nutshell findings: Yamaha: good sound, good mix of features, reliable. Marantz: great sound, less features, reliable. Onkyo: good sound, great features, not as reliable.

BTW.. here's a thread covering EXACTLY what the OP is asking.

My order for pure SQ (Burr-Brown or not) would be 1) Marantz 2) Yamaha 3) Onkyo. Again, I've personally owned 2/3.. and spent quite a bit of time with various Onkyo units since a buddy of mine is an installer and carries and demos all three. But if other factors are more important to you, by all means.. choose one of the other two.

One other thing I've found and experimented with.. if you're planning on ever connecting a power amp to the Onkyo
to use it as a preamp, be aware that the very low 240 mV output from the
pre-outs will leave you wondering if the amp investment was worth anything.
The Denon outputs at 1V and the Marantz higher than that.

I will say that if you DO go with the Onkyo.. give it PLENTY of air. It doubles as a space heater. The Yamaha gets warm too.. but not as 'egg fryingly' hot as the Onkyo. The Marantz is pretty cool under fire.

I apologize for the Caprise 'inuendo'.. however, it was originally his. But, I see that the sling wasn't called for in my post, so I retract. Sorry OP.