New Klipsch owner with questions

nezff

I just recently purchased 2 RF 62s, 1 RC 62, & RW10d sub. I absolutely love them. Ok, my question is this: I have everything running on my new Onkyo 605. I ran the Audyssey auto speaker setup and it sounds better than having the eq off, but the audyssey seems more midbassy and not as bright sounding. I get great bass and voices through the front speakers though. The floorstandings are set to FULL BAND. I was wondering if I wanted to setup the EQ manually, could anyone give me some pointers on where to start? The available EQ settings are for the fronts with going all the way up to +6db and down to -6db:
Fronts:
80hz 0db
250hz 0db
800hz 0db
2500hz 0db
8000hz 0db

I am currently experimenting with this setting: FRONTS 80hz +1db, 250hz +2db, 800hz +3db, 2500hz +4db, 8000hz +6db.
SUBWOOFER: 25hz +6db, 40hz +5db, 63hz +4db, 100hz +3db, 160hz +2db.
sounds ok so far.

First off you have a great setup, and the pictures prove it.

Some can suggest the "best" settings but you and your ears are the ones that has to be happy. Since you didn't care for the Audyssey setup and have since changed it I would say to stick with one setting for a week or so, so your ears can adjust to the sound. Then you an change it and compare, even write down what you hear in each setting and the setting, if you want to go back to it. But the important thing is to leave the settings for a week or more, it all depends on how much listening time you have for both music and ht.

James

• Moderators

Those are new settings for me. I have an older HK AVR55 and I only have basic volume adjustment for each speaker, no crossover settings. From what you are showing, are how does the multiple crossover settings work? I understand what crossovers do and the basic understanding of what they do but I'm not sure I'm understanding how you can adjust gain on several crossover points at one time. Is the Audessy able to detect that the front speakers have multiple crossovers in them (highs, mids, lows).

those are not the crossover points. That is the Eq adjustment. You can adjust from 80hz which is medium to low bass all the way up to 8000hz which is very high treble. I guess you can make the treble more pronounced than the midbass and bass. I was going for something full but still with highs in it.

...Ok, my question is this: I have everything running on my new Onkyo 605. I ran the Audyssey auto speaker setup and it sounds better than having the eq off, but the audyssey seems more midbassy and not as bright sounding. I get great bass and voices through the front speakers though. The floorstandings are set to FULL BAND. I was wondering if I wanted to setup the EQ manually, could anyone give me some pointers on where to start?

I would start by reading the manual, perusing the forums that you are posting in and read the advice.

Imo, you aren't going to get better results adjusting those parameters the way you are going about doing it. Given that you like the way Audyssey Eq'd your HT, I would run it several times and follow the advice on the Audyssey thread on tweaking it afterwards.

you cant see the eq settings audyssey setup for you

Would it be the setting that you see after you run the Audyssey program? Say you set everything to "0" then you run the program, can you go back and look thru every setting and see what it is?

James

I just saw the question you posed on the AVS forum. I think you are correct that the Onkyo doesn't let you see the Audyssey curve. I highly recommend using the Search feature on those threads pertaining to your unit. I am Zen Traveler there and have already given you my advice on the Klipsch Owners thread.

you cant see the eq settings audyssey setup for you

Would it be the setting that you see after you run the Audyssey program? Say you set everything to "0" then you run the program, can you go back and look thru every setting and see what it is?

James

you can see speaker distance, speaker crossover, and speaker level calibration. that is fine, but you cannot see the actual eq settings it makes for you. It actually sets a eq curve for the subwoofer also. just wish I could tweak it a little.

I think I may have gotten it. I ran Audyssey again on my two RF62s and RW10d. I made myself a somewhat of a tripod out of two pieces of plastic sticks taped together and set the mic on top of that about 4feet from the floor. I ran the test and it measured the speaker distance almost right on. I changed a couple things but now the Audyssey EQ settings seem a little brighter than before which is very nice. the speakers sound more full. I have them set to FULL BAND and I am playing around with setting the front speaker crossovers to 120hz. They sound better by setting them here since my sub is set to 120hz. I found by setting the floorstanding speakers to 40,50,80,or 100, the bass seems a little lower in volume. these speakers frequency response is actually 38hz-23,000hz. but I see by setting them to anything lower than 120hz, them take away the bass that would be going to the sub. I think the sub is taking everything from 120hz and down, and the floorstanding is taking everything from 120hz and up. Just a guess.

OK, OK. I think I finally got it after days and hours or tweaking and listening. I have moved my sub to the right side of the room next to one of my RF 62s. I ran audyssey the other day and was pleased with it, so Im keeping that setting. I now have the RF 62s and the RC 62 crossed over at 60hz on the receiver. The sub is set to LFE mode with the DEPTH setting engaged. A +6db increase on the subs digital display and a +6db increase on the sub on the reciever. +3 on the RF62s and 0db on the RC 62. I ran numerous movies and it sounds great! The volume sounds very good at around 45-60. Guitar Hero III and Rock Band sound great in Dolby Digital too. wow. thanks again guys.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, well after a couple weeks of working on this wall entertainment unit, it is finally finished. Me and my dad put the final coats of paint on it this morning. Im gonna let it cure over night and bring it over to my house tomorrow. well ill get some pics of it and some of my whole setup asap. later guys.