Sheryl Crow to possibly sign on with Fleetwood Mac...

jt1stcav

Sheryl Crow says she'll be joining Fleetwood Mac

The Canadian Press, March 13, 2008:

LOS ANGELES — Sheryl Crow says she will soon be singing with Fleetwood Mac, a move sure to give new life to the classic rock band which has not toured in several years.

"I don't want to make any official announcements, but I will say that we definitely have plans for collaborating in the future, and we'll see what happens," Crow told the AOL music website Spinner.com in a story posted Thursday.

Crow did not give a date but said it could happen next year.

She is already thinking about what she'd like to perform.

"I'd love to do 'The Chain,' I'd love to do 'Second Hand News,"' Crow said.

Crow said she looks forward to working with close friend Stevie Nicks.

"I think the person I learned the most hands-on from is Stevie Nicks because she allowed me not only to co-write with her but also to produce her and she's a true artist," said Crow.

Crow would give the band and Nicks a boost. Spinner.com said Nicks had said she wouldn't continue with Fleetwood Mac without keyboardist Christine McVie, who retired from touring in 1998. McVie joined Fleetwood Mac in 1970 shortly after marrying the band's bass guitarist John McVie.

Fleetwood Mac last toured in 2004.

Crow is currently touring after the release of her newest album, "Detours."

Phone and e-mail messages left with representatives for Fleetwood Mac and Crow were not immediately returned.

I believe this Sheryl Crow venture with Fleetwood Mac at whatever capacity the band decides on is definately a good thing...for one, new material between the band and SC's own efforts, and a tour in the near future!

I'd also like to believe that since Crow and Lindsey Buckingham both have writing/producing/engineering chops they may share their own unique experiences into a collective whole that'll benefit the band's new music (if SC is allowed to put her many talents to good use).

Whether SC is to become a full fledged member of FM or just be a contributing artist, a collaboration between her and LB could yield some of their best material yet (since Tusk IMO). I would hope there wouldn't be a lot of head-butting between the two...I'm sure before any contract is signed there will be much negotiating as to what role SC will play in the creative end of things. Since Ms. Crow already reported to the press that talks are underway (while on tour with her latest album), I imagine that Lindsey is in full agreement of accepting her into the band in some fashion (and not as a Christine replacement, for nobody can ever replace her or all her contributions she's made since '70)!

Whatever happens, as long as a new album is released and favorably accepted and a new world tour is generated, then I see this union as a win-win situation for SC, the band and all its fans (I'm sure the big-wigs will also benefit financially along with the bandmates, especially with a few more award-winning hits to add to their roster).

Just my opinion, natch.

Not a Fleetwood Mac fan, but that is a win-win for both of them. Christine McVie was a big part of that band, bigger than most gave her credit for, and I think Sheryl can step right in there, and carry on. The band needs her, more than she needs them .......... The industry seems to like Sheryl, what's not to like .............. [;)] ....... good lookin', talented, mature Woman !!!!!!!!!! .................

She did a song from her new Album on "Ellen" yesterday.................and it sounded like bubble gum music. You couldn't understand the words and the tune sounded fragmented...........

So she probably does need to pair up with someone else..............JMHO.

From what I've read online so far, it seems Stevie Nicks no longer wants to tour if Christine McVie won't be there (and McVie lives in England now and is officially retired from the band). Seems to me the only way Mick can keep Nicks from leaving FM is to enlist another female singer/musician. Since Stevie is great friends with Sheryl and they worked together on Nicks' last solo album, I guess it only seems fitting for Crow to join up in some capacity. Don't know who's idea it initially was, but I suppose the entire band feels good about SC signing on.

Bubble gum music? Maybe this union is what SC needs...FM doesn't need to resort to bubble gum to continue. They've proved their worth years ago...I dunno.

Not a Fleetwood Mac fan, but that is a win-win for both of them. Christine McVie was a big part of that band, bigger than most gave her credit for, and I think Sheryl can step right in there, and carry on. The band needs her, more than she needs them .......... The industry seems to like Sheryl, what's not to like .............. Wink ....... good lookin', talented, mature Woman !!!!!!!!!! .................

I am a big fan of this group, and the band is not the same without Christine McVie. You are exactly right, she was underrated, and when I watch or hear them without Christine, I miss her.

I do too, even more so than Peter Green and company from their blues period (and I liked those early albums as much as their later stuff with Mick's present band). Christine definately added something extra to the FM sound, and as much as I'm for Sheryl Crow signing on with the band, I don't know if I'm too keen yet on her doing any or all of Christine's music...I'll have to reserve judgement after I hear 'em all together. In any case, I'm still excited about a SC venture with this classic band.

• 2 weeks later...

maybe fleetwood mac will get ms. crow back on track. her first album was truly great. after that, who know's what happened? i happened to hear her latest fm radio addition titled 'gasoline'. what a trainwreck that song is!! talented for sure though.

I'll think she'll try to dominate the sound since she's basically a solo artist which would be really bad for an ansamble group like the Mac. Sounds more like ticket sales than art. Now drag Gracy Slick out of retirement and now you're talking.

• 4 weeks later...

Lyndsey said they will most likely be doing that next year. She may have spoken a little prematurely though nothing is written in stone he stated on Rock Line. I'm glad Lyndsey is taking a different stripped down approach to his solo stuff it's incredible. He has got a new DVD out if anyone is interested.

OB I can't believe you don't like the Peter Green era of Fleetwood Mac! It totally fits in with your regular likes. Have you ever even heard the pre-Nicks/McVie stuff? It sounds like John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton. It in no way shape or form sounds like Rumours. Just listen to some of THESE tracks for a taste.