The RW-12 sucks! Can anybody recommend a good sub out there?

Xtreme_Media

I had a Klipsch Reference PRO10. 1600 watts in a sealed enclosure with 1, 10" driver and 2, passive radiators. Man, it felt like somebody was standing behind you, jabbing you in the back with his fist. Unfortunately, one of the passive radiators was damaged in my move by the movers, so I took the money and ran to find a new sub. I bought a Klipsch RW-10, cause hey, I am a Klipsch guy. It sounded like crap, so I sold it and "upgraded" to the equally crappy RW-12 ( It may sound worse actually), so I added a second RW-12 just today and no matter where I plce them. No matter which way I point them. They sound like crappy subwoofer wannabe's.

I am so dishartened with Klipsch subs as of late. I have been eyeing the new one (pro, I think) that has 1 12 and 2 passive radiators in a triangle box for the corner. It looks awesome and the specs are promising, but I am shy of Klipsch subs. I am also looking at McIntosh and Velodyne as possible options. Any words of wisdome out there?

Placement may be the issue here. If you had the RT-10d (single active with dual PR's...from your description), a lower end Klipsch sub cannot match the RT-10d. In any case sounds like you have a placement issue and the subs are in bad spots.

There are lots of good subs out there but if you want to stick with Klipsch, I suggest finding an RSW 12 or 15. I have both and they are excellent subs. Much better then the newer RW series.

I am thinking about the RT-10d. I have researched it a bit on the internet. It seems similar to the Reference 10 PRO that I used to have and love. Do you know any insight into the RT series?

The RT-10d and RT-12d are more linear versions of the RSW12/15. Less punchy , the RT-12d PR's move more air the RSW15 PR (taken both at max excursion).

Is the RT-12d a better sub than the RSW15...yes. WIll you prefer the RT-12d ? Maybe ,I like the sonic charachter(signature)of the RSW series,are they flat...NO. But I like.

Flat so to speak sub would be a SVS Ultra13 or a JL they add almost no signature,only when pushed do you notice artifacts(like any sub/speaker pushed too far).

No need to blame the sub

My thoughts exactly. Am I the only one who finds this kind of ballsy? To come on the Klipsch forums and your title reads" The RW-12 sucks!" Poor choice of words in my opinion. BTW, is this your auction on Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-RW-12-Reference-Series-Powered-Subwoofer-2_W0QQitemZ220214799939QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3275QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just wondering because it states that this sub sounds amazing and kicks out an incredible amount of bass. [*-)]

Definition- Ballsy- Very tough and courageous, often recklessly or presumptuously so.

HONEST?? Then shouldn't your Ebay listing read something like " Up for auction is a Klipsch RW-12 sub. It sucks and sounds like a crappy subwoofer wannabee" You have a right to your opinion--But I think "sucks" could have been avoided. Just my .2

Plus I'm having a bad hair day.....[:D]

It sounds like Xtreme had an LF10 - a very rare Klipsch sub that was only in production briefly around the year 2000. It was a very small footprint "cube" style woofer with one active 10" on the front and a passive 10" on each of the two sides. That subwoofer is radically different than the RW-12d. (It cost about the same as 2 RW-12's when it was new.) Even if you put them in the same room they wouldn't sound anything alike so the fact that they are in a different room only adds to the issue. If you liked the sound of that sub, then I'd suggest a look at the RSW-10d or either of the RT subs. I'd look first at the RT-10d as it is the closest current model to the LF-10. One nice thing about the RT-10d or RT-12d is that they have our Adaptive Room Correction software which will help correct for room anomalies. The result will be smoother, more balanced bass response and most find that it seems to go deeper. (It doesn't really - you are just hearing the low end more after the big exaggerated peaks in the response curve caused by the room have been smoothed out.) The RT-10d and 12d are identical in features so the difference is that the 12 goes a little deeper and plays a little louder. Whether you need that extra performance (of course you do!) is up to you and if you think it is worth given the extra cost and size of the sub.

Are there other good subs on the market from other brands that would be similar to your old sub? Absolutely. However, since you loved the LF-10 I'd at least give the RT Series a listen despite your experience with the RW-12's.

Jim

You are correct Jim. I did have the LF10 PRO and it was an amazing sub. I appreciate your articulate and well thought out recommendation. I have been eying the RT-10d and I think I will make a move on one very soon.

Thanks so much for your comments and recommendation. Jerry