Sub Recommendation for RF-7 System

mrseamus

Hey guys,

I am lookinfg for recommendations on various subs for my RF-7/RC-7/RB-75 system. I am currently running a Sub 12. I have the opportunity to purchase either a RSW-12 or an SVS 16-46CS with a 1200 watt amp. Would either of these two systems make a huge difference in the overall sound of my system?

Should I just kick back and wait until I can afford the RSW-15 or SVS-Ultra?

Your thoughts and experiences are welcomed?

Thanks,

RSW12(~25Hz) adds little extension over an RF7(~35Hz) .

For movies the SVS would be a better choice. The 16-46CS with a 1200W amp ...the 16-46 driver will make use of 400-600W not more, these SVS dB12 (less capable than that)are happy with a 500W amp. But why not,as you can driver vare more power hungry sub after.

SVS Ultra would be THE choice here, the RSW15 does not dig much deeper than the RSW12(minute extension gain and slightly higher max output).

Ear,

Thank you for your response. It goese without saying that you are recognized as one of the authorities on subwoofer selection. What do you think about the Epik and eD subs against the SVS Ultra? I am building quite a subwoofer collection as I have upgraded. I have an Onkyo, a Sub 10 hanging out in the bedroom and a Sub 12 that I am currently using. The way I figure it, if I can convince my wife that I can sell the 3 previous subs, I might have one more chance. I want to ensure I get the right one this time. It will probably be my last chance.

Thanks again for your opinion.

I run the Ultra/2 and RSW-15's with RF-7's...........can't go wrong with these subs combined with 7's.[;)]

I used a Sub12 with the 7's for a short while.........step up to the big boys and you'll be very pleased.[:D]

The SVS new Ultra sub is tops in sound quality and is capable of high output. Extension in the native tune is very good,around 16Hz with room gain.

However you might want to consider the Epik Conquest, think of it as a larger SVS Ultra...costing the same ! One thing the SVS Ultra looks great,the Epik(standard) finish regular. The Epik has above all serious SPL capability. It would take almost two SVS Ultra subs to match the Conquest down deep.

eD again another solid choice,cabinets are rock solid. Quality drivers used,same no nonsense aproach as Epik and SVS. They deliver SPL and sound quality.

You cannot go wrong

No I will say no more .

Klipsch they do not offer a sub capable of true 16hz extension (with serious output). Simple as that. Had they a model I would recommend I would. I have five Klipsch subs (RSW's and RT's) and use them as...MBM's ...LOL

Just to clarify ...

A true high performance sub woofer not capable of at least 16Hz extension is NOT a serious high performance sub. End of any arguments. Many large subs today offer extension to near single digits ! As room gain plays a HUGE role in helping augment the very low registers.

My sealed subs ,tested today ...are quite flat to near 10hz ! At listening position. My large EBS is solid down to 12Hz ! You can feel the air move and eardrums work. As I have always said a serious sub is solid to at least 16Hz.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an RT12d and it is AWESOME!!! If you can get one in your house to demo it....you might end up buying one. Personally my ears can't differentiate between 10HZ and 16HZ but I do know that the RT12D goes low and loud. If you have already sprung for the RF7s, then why not put your money where your ears are and spring for the whole system? If you are lucky like me the sub will sit kiddy corner right in the open and look just like a piece of furniture in the room. Try to get some square box to do that. Good luck with going low.