Amp Question - Separates

Budman

guy has a 5 channel amp for sale that he bought new and after a couple of years the transformer came loose inside the amp. doesn't say if he got it fixed or not. what does that mean. he won't answer any of my e-mails. should i stay clear of this or is this not a big deal.

I would only go for it if the guy is local and is willing to let you hear it first. Normally it would be trivial to remount a transformer....though considering they're usually bolted down it makes you wonder what caused it to come loose in the first place.

When in doubt it's usually best to steer clear. It's just a matter of time until the next good deal shows up.

I agree with Dr. Who overall, but I'm more on the cautious side.

If the guy is local and will work with you, naturally, that is okay.

However, the fellow is not returning mail and is not explaining the nature and the extent of the problem. Those are big red flags.

As Who says, there are other fish in the sea and therefore there is no reason not to pass over this one.

Gil

its not a local sale has to be shipped. got a couple of e-mails today from the seller. he says he never got it fixed because it never impacted the performance of the amp. said he would take off the cover and fix it that its not a big deal. i lost out on 2 of these in the last 2 weeks on ebay at around 1200 ea. he said he would ship it to me for 825 total.

my question still is: its a 5 ch. amp. does it have 1 transformer and its a simple screw down to tighten it and how would one know it came loose in the first place.

thanks for all your help

Budman,

What brand and model of amp are you looking at. If you need knowledge on the transformer, there may be better alterntives in this price range and power output that many could steer you to here. There are many amplifiers that don't sound well with Klipsch speakers, and others that will open your eyes and make you say WOW. So how about some info on the particular amp you are looking at, and what are the speakers that you want to drive??

Roger

Don't touch it if it has to be shipped. Ever heard of a "loose cannon on deck"?

From Wikipedia:

"The term originates in the Age of Sail, and wooden men-of-war. When a storm began, all cannons
had to be securely fastened and lashed in place. A gun that broke free
of its lashings would roll uncontrollably around the deck with the
motion of the ship, causing havoc. A loose cannon, weighing thousands
of pounds, would crush anything and anyone in its path, and possibly
even break a hole in the hull, thus endangering the seaworthiness of
the whole ship."

Transformers are pretty massive. That's exactly what you have here.

Transformers are pretty massive. That's exactly what you have here.

The last place I worked had a professor come to work for us while he was on sabbatical. He shipped his pc from Portland, Oregon to Chattanooga, Tenn. It arrived with the CPU/heatsink/fan bouncing around inside the case. It had pulled out of the ZIF socket somewhere along the journey. The only visible damage was most of the pins on the cpu were folded over. I was able to straighten them, installed the processor and it worked fine.

He was one very, very lucky man. (and happy I fixed it for him, too)