Corn-Horn, Ever seen anything like this? Frazier bass horns coming along!

bullbaiter

This is a fallow up to a previous post. I have the 511 horns mounted, and expect to purchase great plains audio 908-8 drivers soon. I stumbled on a superb pair of Cornwall II and it slowed down my progress. Sorry Chops, I kinda fell out of touch while trying to swing this deal. I purchased a pair of New Old Stock altec 511's and mounted them in my bass horn cabs. I am just trying to generate enough dough for the NEW 908-8 drivers. I am going to include updated pics of my system.

I need some opinion here. Once I finish with the drivers I had originally planned on a nice exotic veneer. However since the purchase of the black cornwall II's I have had second thoughts. To veneer or not to veneer. Condition is VERY nice in it's original state. Would I actually hurt the value if I were to get custom with veneer? Let's here what the Klipschies think. Thanks everyone.

post-30193-13819367040836_thumb.jpg

Going to take a stab! I am satisfied that no, this would be a first. Nice to have options, whether to veneer or not. Something to be said for the angles/slopes/dimensions of the mouth in question. Of course could leave the veneer to the normally covered parts of speaker cabinet. Might would be a shame to cover(option) whole of front with a speaker grill. Could just cover woof closer into mouth of cabinet, nearer speaker leaving exposed the main outer entrance of visual aural port(?) Interesting slots on sides(ports) could benefit from creatively designed covers. Could just leave as is, if considering selling, then could custom for new owner. A lot of could be, would be possibilities. Nice looking veneers sitting, just waiting to be seen.

A Corn-Horn......even the name has possibilities....nice looking project...

If I was going to resell these at some point, I'd want them close to original as possible. I think they look good black. If you plain on keeping them and prefer veneer, I've seen photos of speakers like these on the Internet that people veneered and they came out beautiful! How you like them so far sound wise?

I absolutely love them. As a subwoofer system they have been breathtaking. They do a nice job as risers for the cornwalls as well, putting them up high enough to shoot over things like the pool table and furniture. I like how unique they are too. I have not ever seen another pair. Trust me I have spent many hours surfing around the web looking. These things are true thunder cannons rated from 40hz to 500hz 106db @ 1watt/1meter. I will re-post after I get the hf drivers in them. If the "GREAT PLAINS AUDIO" 909-8 drivers are all that, they should make a superb full range system as well. I bought these without knowing anything about frazier equipment. I am glad to see that the klipsch people have good things to say about fraziers as a whole.

Is there any way you could post a link to the ones you found on the web. I would love to see a pair that has been given a make-over. I have axcess to another pair. They are known as frazier TEXANS. The texans however have been robbed of their factory crossovers, but they still have those wonderful frazier drivers in them. The texans are a different all together using a folded enclosure and a 12" driver rather than a 15"driver. The texans are rated at 104db, and go down to 20hz. They too were originally crossed over at 500 hz. I was going to buy those as well, but I can honestly say that I do not need any more bass. They are still out there waiting to be had. The owner wants $500.00 for that pair.

post-30193-13819367070828_thumb.jpg

I take that back, its 105db and they go down to 35hz. I found the spec sheet and grouped it in with the last photo. I had originally thought about using my heracys in combination with those texans. However I think I am done with speakers for now....."maybe"..... I was going to start my quest for mcintosh electronics. I WISH I knew someone in northern MI, that could bring over a "great" amp to see if it's worth all that extra money. I suppose that like any good project or hobbey, my system will never be finished. I have been checking out the mccintosh digital music surver. I had my docking station hooked up to my yamaha rx-v793 but it produced alot of hum-noise. Plugged directly into my laptop it got MUCH better. I find myself listening to it the most. Nothing like 20hrs of the most diverse selection of music all shuffled up. It has improved my billiards game significantly, not having to change cd's all the time. When I really want to impress, I usually go for a cd with alot of good brass horns.

It was photos of speakers like these, and not the same exact speakers. Big bass bins. It was when I restored my set of Altec A7 and was sufing the web looking at horn loaded bass bins for some ideas. Photo of my finished Altec A7 posted for you to see. I decided to keep mine black. I didn't save the address of the photos of the veneered bass bins, but can tell you I was surprised how good these big horn loaded bass bins look veneered. I remember the photos being mainly on some Internet site that had many photos of horn speakers. I don't save every page address, because it just adds up to way too many.

post-18842-13819367100516_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I'll keep looking. Hey, what drivers are you using in those a7's. They look like the 909-8's that I am considering. What was your opinion of them. what was your cross-over point. Do you still have those A7's? Are they good at re-producing clean music? They look much better than the normal primer grey ones I see out there. Nice job. Thank you for the insight.

902-8T drivers. Good drivers. Wonderful midrange. 800Hz. I didn't like the way they sounded at 500Hz or 1200Hz. I sold them. They didn't go low enough for me. Thank you. I put a whole lot of work into those A7 speakers. I think they came out nice. It was a fun project. My friends liked them and were sad I sold them. I own too many speakers and have to let some go as needed. Their new owner is thrilled! I know you're having fun with your new speakers. Enjoy.

The texans however have been robbed of their factory crossovers, but they still have those wonderful frazier drivers in them.

Hey bullbaiter

Do you know if they were sourced from EV? The drivers look like Electrovoice EVM models and the Magnet and Voice Coil Spec matches also. I always liked the EV woofers in my projects especially for the price/performance.

mike tn[:)]

The guy I bought them from said they were ev drivers. When I took The back panels off them the drivers were lablede as "frazier" I am no expert, and could use some outside info on them.

I really don't know anything about the frazier line but the Frame, Magnet Weight, and Voice Coil Size/Alluminum all says EV sourced to me. Something like a EVM 12L although Frazier might have had EV tweek the cone/surround for them or not.

Here is a picture I pulled off a forum discussion on the EV 12L that looks just like yours basically.

mike tn

post-14473-13819367133638_thumb.jpg

The guy I bought them from said they were ev drivers. When I took The back panels off them the drivers were lablede as "frazier" I am no expert, and could use some outside info on them.

Jack Frazier sourced drivers from different vendors, often to his specs. Quam-Nichols, EV, and Motorola, among others.

Todd Crane, Frazier's former National Sales Manager, is a member of this forum. Maybe he'll see this and pipe in. Lonelobo has been in contact with Frazier's VP of engineering recently.

Looking at the Texans, you can clearly see the "give and take" between Jack Frazier and his friend Paul Klipsch.

The "friendly competition" factor between Paul and Jack is a unique twist to my present klipsch experience. I have loved klipsch since my first experience with them. When I was about 14 years old, I went to my aunt's lake house for a visit. I strolled up to the door and knocked loudly. I knew they could not hear me because they were jamming down inside. Or so I thought.... I made my way down to the beach and low and behold there they were in a small row boat. About 50 yards off shore, they were enjoying a pair of 70's vintage la scalas. Sliding glass doors open, sharing that wonderful horn sound with the entire lake. That image, that sound, it burnt into my brain......

I think it is truley wonderful that I can get so much information on this forum. I do not know why I was so effected by that day at the beach, but it is great to see that there are so many more people out there with similar obsessions. I was 20 years old before I owned my first pair of klipsch. I traded a springfield arms .45 pistol for a pair of walnut kg4's. I would have bought a pair sooner if I had truly known what I was missing. I got cought up with car audio scene in the early years. I blame that on my partial hearing loss.. along with the shooting numerous hand cannons, and over 20 years of heavy construction.

I no longer shoot, I seldom get out to ride, but a day without music is hardly a day at all. I know I am not the norm. I car pool with a friend from work. I get a kick out of the facial expressions I get when he shows up to get me. " hang on a second, I just can't leave until I am done with this Ray Charles tune"

Ray who? Yeaah baby, I am 36 years old and I am loving my grandparents music these days. Don't get me wrong I have the broadest interest in music you have ever heard. There is just something special about that jazzy brass and "boogie woogie piano" . I could go on and on, but I think I am getting way off subject here. Thanks everyone, for your input. Keep it coming. Casey.

Starting out a whole new generation of audiophiles! Exposing them to as much GOOD music as possible. I am considering a yamaha clavinova as my next addition to the whole operation.

post-30193-13819367134788_thumb.jpg

nope. I'll take anything I can get on them. I believe they were built in 1980. Someone wrote that on the inside of the cabnet during assembly. I am also looking for a set of binding posts as original as can be had perhaps you guys can help out. I am having trouble uploading pics right now but I will get one in there.