Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 31

thebes

Well the Ides of March have come and gone and I have not crossed the Rubicon and marched on Rome.

Too busy listening to my stereo so somebody else will have to conquer the known world. I don't know if the following suggestion will overthrow the Senate but it brings a smile to my face:

Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker, "I've Got the Music in Me", pop/soul, lp I just love this album. Great lyrics, awesome back up singers that would be right at home in a Sunday choir at the bible Way Baptist Church of Redemption. Only quibble is it has some of what I term "Vegas Production Qualities" in it, you know just a bit overblown. This particular lp is a Sheffield Labs Direct-to-Disk recording and the recording quality is out of this world. If you run across one grab it up and you'll be sending me a note of thanks.

So what do you have to share this week?

A couple of weeks ago
OldBuckster recommended Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Street Survivors album.

I was going to respond to
that then, but didn’t get around to it.

I totally agree that Street
Survivors is a great album, but Skynyrd’s best?
I’m not so sure about that.

I love Skynyrd, (our home
town band) and all of their albums, each one has at least something I
absolutely love on it. (I’m not counting any of the post Ronnie VanZant albums
by the “tribute band”.)

In the same category of
southern rock music, I am recommending 38 Specials first album (self-titled).

Little brother Donnie
VanZant had a smoother voice than Ronnie and this band just sounded great
together. (They had 2 drummers that synced very nicely together). Every song on
this album is great. How often do you see that?

I particularly like the
songs “Fly Away” and “Just Wanna Rock & Roll”.

Oh, and it is awesomely well
recorded (late 70’s I think).

Check it out. I have it on
both vinyl and cd. Both sound great.

P.S. OldBuck : I agree with what you said about Artimus
Pyle. He was Skynyrd’s best drummer. I don’t want to say anything bad about
him, but he has been in the local news here a couple of times in the past year.
It’s really sad, and a shame what some these guys that we so loved so much turn
out to be.

post-21331-13819367139158_thumb.jpg

Gettin' ready to head out the door for Best Buy, to pick-up The Stones ; Shine A Light CD set. The DVD won't be out for awhile so, I guess I'll just get this CD set. Was going to buy the Less- Expensive version, but for 2 dollars more, you get another disc of songs, so what the Hey. Still buyin' Stones albums at 60 years old, Foolish Lad, Will I ever grow up ? Kinda' doubt it ............ What Can A Poor Boy Do ?????????

SHINE A LIGHT (Deluxe Edition) ; THE ROLLING STONES .......... CD Set ....

I think note for note, word for word, STREET SURVIVORS to be their finest work. Steve Gaines was far and away the most talented Guitarist to play in that band. The album, to me anyway, reaches levels they had never before reached as a band, and Ronnie was so at ease with the songs, every song just flowed off that recording .......... but, that's just my take on it, now 38 Special

Donnie probably did have a smoother, less twangy vocal style, and the double drummers were great, but JEFF CARILISI, and Donny Barnes are a pretty fine Dual-Lead Guitar team. Both are capable of fine Leads, but that Jeff Carilisi can play with anyone. That whole Southern Rock scene was full of fine bands, full of great young musicans, and I feel lucky to have lived through it. I do have to say, My favorite of the Southern Bands was, Charlie Daniels Band, what a group of talented musicans, and ol' Charlie for helpin' all the bands along the way ..............

As for Artimus, and Bill,and Gary ......... Only they know what happened that awful night, and maybe that's for the best !!!!!!!!!

A couple of weeks ago OldBuckster recommended Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Street Survivors album.

I was going to respond to that then, but didn’t get around to it.

I totally agree that Street Survivors is a great album, but Skynyrd’s best? I’m not so sure about that.

I love Skynyrd, (our home town band) and all of their albums, each one has at least something I absolutely love on it. (I’m not counting any of the post Ronnie VanZant albums by the “tribute band”.)

*Was not into Skynard when used to catch my favorite artists, perform in the Jax Coliseum, but have since then given them a good listen. The Coliseum did a pretty good job, for a larger forum. First act I caught at that spot was the Jimi Hendrix Experience, with a band called Cat Mother And The Allnight News Boys (NYC?).

Which brings me to another band. "White Hot & Blue" LP, by Johnny Winter if into Rock & Roll, w/ some Blues, and give a listen to Highway 61 version from back then, when was in top form with band. With Johnny that night, I believe a Texas band, Brownsville Station of "Smoking In The Boysroom" fame.

In the same category of southern rock music, I am recommending 38 Specials first album (self-titled).

Little brother Donnie VanZant had a smoother voice than Ronnie and this band just sounded great together. (They had 2 drummers that synced very nicely together). Every song on this album is great. How often do you see that?

I particularly like the songs “Fly Away” and “Just Wanna Rock & Roll”.

Oh, and it is awesomely well recorded (late 70’s I think).

Check it out. I have it on both vinyl and cd. Both sound great.

P.S. OldBuck : I agree with what you said about Artimus Pyle. He was Skynyrd’s best drummer. I don’t want to say anything bad about him, but he has been in the local news here a couple of times in the past year. It’s really sad, and a shame what some these guys that we so loved so much turn out to be.

Speaking of Lynyrd Skynyrd, check out this pic.

I was at this "homecoming" concert in Jacksonville early or mid 70's I think.
My friend took this picture of Allen Collins & Ronnie VanZant.
The band had just come home after a very long tour and this concert was one of the biggest events ever for our hometown boys.
Before the concert, the Jacksonville mayor presented Ronnie with the "key to the city" you see hanging around his neck.
Also note Ronnie's tee shirt. It says "Who the F... are the Rolling Stones anyway". They did have an attitude about them.

The Charlie Daniels band was the opening act - awesome.
Skynyrd came out and did one song and after the song Ronnie walked off stage.
He had damaged his vocal chords while on tour and he thought he sounded like Donald Duck (I didn't really notice).
They gave him a shot or something back stage and he came back out.
He got half-way thru the second song, kicked his microphone & stand over & walked off stage again, not to return.

Charlie Daniels came out to fill in for Ronnie and joined the rest of Skynyrd and they did a 15-20 minute rendition of Free Bird.
After that they gave a brief explanation of Ronnies condition, apologized and left the stage.

Well, at that point the crowd started getting very rowdy and angry.
That's when we quickly decided to leave.
We heard on the news later that the crowd turned into a huge riot and destroyed all of Skynyrd's equipment on stage.
I don't recall anyone getting seriously hurt, but there were numerous arrests.

The next morning in a rock radio station interview Ronnie expressed his anger and disappoinment in his fans here for what they had done.
He said he was renouncing Jacksonville as his home and claimed that he had flushed the key to the city down the toilet.
I doubt that that key actually would have flushed, but he probably tied anyway.

I got a cool picture out of it anyway.

Wade

post-21331-13819367140782_thumb.jpg

I typed a long post only to see it go poof down the electric internet toilet. So here is a shorter version.

T.REX - Slider remastered and expanded. King of Glam.

5181Z0MJ65L.jpg

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Trout_Mask_Replica.jpg

I love this album but sometimes my brain just says no and I have to look for something else like it that my brain wil accept. It is at time like this when I pull out the reunited Magic Band live recordings from 2003 - 2006. The Magic Band Recordings are simply amazing. They are mostly instrumental since Captain Beefheart is not with the reunited band but that is ok. After hearing these instrumental recordings I am just stunned and think vocals would get in the way.

The Magic Band

mb_crowsmilk_cover.jpg

cover_4351923112006.jpg

cover_22122023112006.jpg

These three albums are so amazing that they just make me happy especially Back To Front.

The Magic Band = Mad Genius