Ipod/Itunes question

Coytee

ok, I'm an Ipod dummy. I've only fiddled with one once, to help a friend. I'm also an Itune dummy.

Looks like I'm going to order an Ipod so I just downloaded Itunes and it's going through the process of converting my files on my pc to what ever format it uses.

On the Itune page, I'm seeing bit-rates from 128 to 1141. I'm right now at 1482 songs and still going strong (16.78 g)

I'll be buying a 160G Ipod so I'll have plenty of space.

Question: What is the minimum bitrate you want to use in your Ipod (earphone listening... just ordered the Custom-3's). Can you tell a substantial difference between the two above extreme bit rates?

I'm debating on simply downloading the songs and being done with it...verses, maybe going to some of the favored songs that might be in 128 bits, and re-ripping them at a higher level.

Guest srobak

any quality headphones - yes - you will head a difference. At a minimum, I would recommend 192k rips, but if you don't mind the extra cpu time to rip and the larger files - change that minimum to 384. I dont know if itunes will/can handle or convert FLAC - but if so - take that approach :)

I'll take a shot at it Coytee

First, welcome to the iPod world. I like mine.

I don't know how much music you have, but a good starting point would be to choose Apple Lossless. You might be there by default - I think it's under advanced preferences importing.

Also, check error correction on.

From there, as you add new stuff AIFF and WAV are uncompressed and take the most space.

Lossless is Apple compression and quite good.

Then you get into all the MP3 and variable bit rate options. Many folks avoid those, but they do make smaller files. Downloads are typically of this more compressed format, but not all are by any means. A typical 99 cent download is compressed.

I use uncompressed AIFF for everything, but I have "heard" the more compressed files sound the worst with headphones.

So, it's a trade between space and quality. iTunes capacity is limited by your computer. iPod limited by the iPod size. You can have more in iTunes and select what to load to your iPod. You can have multiple libraries which make it more complicated.

Grab a cd and import it using different formats. iTunes should dump them all into the same group and you can select view bit rate etc to see which file is which. Listen to them and you can decide what's right for you. Then you will have a good strategy for future imports.

Hope that helps

Richard. FWIW, I don't download stuff from Apple that much. I use their Itunes software to rip CD's using Apple Lossless format. Love it. Listen to all my stuff with that software. Rarely listen to CD's anymore.

Don't have an Ipod. Wife does.

jc