Look at this!!!

montigue

I cannot for the life of me see the interest in solid state McIntosh gear. Yes, it is built like a tank. Yes, it has neat meters. But as for sound, the McIntosh solid state offerings are actually extremely pedestrian, even for solid state! It is hard to imagine a company so banking on its name and prestige with so little in sound quality to back it up. I am hard pressed to think of another make in this price range that is as uninvolving musically as the McIntosh SS line.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

heh.... Yeah, perhaps I was a bit too harsh regarding the McIntosh. Of course, I meant it but ... What good does it do to say it? The loons that have them get offended and the loons that dont, dont. I know of plenty that are happy as bottled water with their McIntosh Solid state, with ole Al K. being a fine example. As always, it is just an opinion as should be assumed from anyone within here. It goes without saying, actually. I occasionally am quite adamant but still, after all is said and done, it is still an opinion. So remember that.

That being said, the meters sure are pretty. If only they sounded as magical.

kh

ps- Mike, I actually started a mail to you concerning your system so be prepared for that horror when it does arrive.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-17-2002 at 08:05 PM

The MC7270 McIntosh is relatively new, as far as McIntosh SS amps go.For Klipsch this much Mac power will really beat you up.I use the MC2120, 3dB less power and no meters for only $450 (eBay).With a few audiophile grade caps added it is quite magical. Homeless might even like it.Stay away from the first generation Mac SS (MC250, 2505, 2100, 2105, 2300, 5100, 6100), the circuitry in the newer amps is much better. They just didn't know about caps. Actually, most companies still don't seem to know about caps.

As a McIntosh loon, I first want to say that I was not offended by mobile. Second, I looked up "uninvolving musically" in my latest edition of the Miriam Mobile Webster Homeless dictionary and here is what I found:

"Any amplifier with wide bandwidth that exceeds audibility, with ruler flat frequency response, with almost immeasurable amounts of THD and IMD at all power levels from a few miiliwatts to maximum output, that cannot be driven into clipping, that does not require constant recalibration of and occasional replacement of parts, and will not heat a small room."

cwm1.gif

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

This message has been edited by Kevin S on 01-18-2002 at 09:47 AM

Mobile, I thought I'd check out the web site of Welborne. Besides not being able to find any mention of bandwidth, frequency response or distortion (surprise, surprise, but I am sure they sound great anyway since that stuff doesn't matter),I found this line that must explain the real reason you like them:

"The Moondog 2A3 is now also available "nude".

Now thats a man who keeps his audio priorities straight!

cwm27.gif

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905