My first Ipod

Coytee

This seems to be pretty cool... Ya ya ya... I'm like 20 years behind the rest of the world on this... bought my first Ipod yesterday (and also ordered Klipsch ear things, Custom 3's) I've been going through many CD's upgrading their bit rate from around 320 (and some less) to 1141. I've got about 90% of what was on my hard drive upgraded. I'm going to keep going through more Cd's as I do this. I'm up to 1,241 songs

DANG them... this was going woefully slow (typing this comment) and I saw something kind of goofy... those bozo's were automatically downloading three "trial" videos (or something)... little do they realize I'm on a painfully slow modem here at home (less than 56K).

sigh.. put the nibs on THAT action!

Ok...this is cool as beans, it looks like I'll have everything I've already copied onto my pc's hard drive and if this Itunes is accurate, I'm going to still be under 50 gig. I bought the 80 gig after talking to the guy and telling him what I was using it for. I was originally going to buy the 160 but he felt that would be more than I really need and it looks like he was right.

I will admit that I'm beginning to REALLY look forward to this. Wife bought me one once, and I made her take it back, thinking I'd never use it. Now I'm realizing I can use it on our trip and, when I'm out cutting one of the fields, instead of listening to the drone of the tractor, I can take this with me and have at it.

I use to do that with a CD player but felt it to be a real pain in the hiney having to either listen to one cd over & over & over OR take some with me out in the fields. Both were considered bad options.

I've not even bothered to listen to this thing yet... I'm still upgrading my bitrates and still waiting on my Custom 3's

Windows media player. Just double checked in case I screwed something up (like that never happens to me...)

bit rate is 1411.2 and the format is wav.

They were the highest I could find. I HAVE managed to screw up the Itunes... I've converted several times, thinking I'm updating things as I go...not realizing I'm making 4 MORE copies of the same stuff in the folders... I just now deleted all of the Itunes folder and will have to redo that later.

Learning as I go...

Do you get things like cover art, Genre, etc. when you use .wav?

I'm not really sure. (other than the cover art, I've not looked nor been worried about the other items)

Regarding the album covers, I've been re-ripping my ENTIRE collection onto my PC. During process, I've been making sure that the cover art is visible as I rip them and if not, going to find them.

Fast forward to doing some transfers to Ituns and then the Ipod... I've seen the Ipod has a screen where you can sort through album covers and MOST of them seem to NOT be there so somewhere in transation, it's getting lost OR I'm simply doing some thing wrong (more likely)

Ultimately, I'm not bothered by that as long as I can get the music files to work properly but it WOULD be nice to do it right.

Why don't you just rip your CDs with Itunes in the apple lossless format? You will get the same high quality sound while using less disc space. With itunes it can find most if not all the covers and fill in all the info as you rip songs. The only downside to using apple lossless is that it only works with apple stuff. I have been using apple lossless since the day I got my ipod about a year ago, and now I can't stand using anything but lossless audio formats.

Why don't you just rip your CDs with Itunes in the apple lossless format? You will get the same high quality sound while using less disc space. With itunes it can find most if not all the covers and fill in all the info as you rip songs. The only downside to using apple lossless is that it only works with apple stuff. I have been using apple lossless since the day I got my ipod about a year ago, and now I can't stand using anything but lossless audio formats.

That's kinda what I was getting at, in a roundabout way. Wav is more universal, but apple lossless will save space and allow for tagging. I like to use good old fashioned MP3, because I have such a huge collection, and want to be able to fit my entire collection on the iPod. I've done some of my favorites in Apple Lossless, though.

Coytee,

Think you are talking about cover flow view, one of the 3 views - I really like that too. iTunes, as far as I know will auto lookup the song data, but you have to tell it to update the covers. It's in the menu, have an internet connection and tell it to go find covers. You can also manually add the ones that are missing. Sometimes it gets a little confused, especially on albums where there are a lot of guest artists and you have to put the album back together. Like Rodger Water's live in Berlin. It will probably think you're loading 15 albums or so. You can do a search for say Rodger Berlin and get all the songs in a group, then manually edit the data and perhaps make the composer Rodger Waters. Then you might need to manually add cover art. Cover Flow takes a little tweaking and has no real effect on the iPod, but the song grouping, or lack thereof will. Seems to me that greatest hits albums, collaborations and such take a little tweaking at times to get them back together. Or, sometimes you might put 4 cd's like Clapton's Crossroads into one giant album.

If you get multiple copies of the same song, you can probably select view and get bit or sample rates showing, then click on the column to sort by that field. Then you can delete all the lower bitrate stuff as it's grouped together.

If you are going to just do iPod stuff only, I'd also suggest Apple Lossless. It's in the vein of FLAC, not compressed, but somewhat zipped.

AIFF is similar to WAV and may for some have tagging advantages, but again, if it's just for iPod Lossless is great.

Be sure to turn error correction on as you load up iTunes.

A couple (meandering) thoughts

I'm ripping in Media player because that is what I'm used to. Also... I already had a TON of stuff in it and I didn't want to re-rip everything. Kind of ironic that I said that because I spent most of the weekend re-ripping everything back through Media player... (sigh)

I've ripped about 99% of my cd's and am now actually, trying to rip the sound track from my dvd's.

I've noticed (and I think I've caused this by NOT ripping through Itunes)

Anyways, I've noticed today as I played around with the unit... there are TONS and TONS of unknown artists. What I find interesting about that is I've gone to great lengths when ripping the cd's to make sure that everything has its own folder and such.

I am beginning to realize that I must not have given it enough information and over time, I'm going to try to revisit each folder and see if I can edit them as a group while installing the names & such.

I've also reached over 90 gig's (I bought an 80 [8o|] ) so now I'm going to call the store & see how much of a hit I'm going to take by returning the 80 and buy the 160 that I was initially going to buy.

I still have 20 or so, dvd's to rip.

Any way to rip the video from some of the dvd's???

Look for DVD Decrypter on the net. It's free if you can grab it. I think there may be a new owner and they are stopping downloads, but it's worth a shot. I've used it for years. There are others too that can rip the audio and or video.

I'd set iTunes import to Lossless with error correction selected and see if you can import from those folders you created into iTunes. It might get the song data and cover art for you. Then you can erase the old file.

I'm going to call the store & see how much of a hit I'm going to take by returning the 80 and buy the 160 that I was initially going to buy.

Seems if I pay them the 10% restocking fee they will take the unit back even though I've opened it & used it.

So for about $25 plus the difference of the 160 gig unit (about $100), I can get the larger unit.

[Y]

I'm going to call the store & see how much of a hit I'm going to take by returning the 80 and buy the 160 that I was initially going to buy.

Seems if I pay them the 10% restocking fee they will take the unit back even though I've opened it & used it.

So for about $25 plus the difference of the 160 gig unit (about $100), I can get the larger unit.

Yes

Or if you rip the music to Apple Lossless, you won't need the extra storage.

Yes

Or if you rip the music to Apple Lossless, you won't need the extra storage.

But you might want the extra storage someday. Music collections grow. If money's not a problem I'd go for more storage. Always better to have way too much than not quite enough.

Always better to have way too much than not quite enough.

Yep.

Also... I don't ever want my stuff kept in a propriatary format as I understand an Itune rip to be. I'd rather rip them "normally" and then buy another hard drive if need be to store them.

As it is right now, I've got about 50% of this hard drive open and if adding the Itune files starts to eat into that I've got some more items on it that I can move to my C drive or delete if need be.

Also... I've thought about burning a bunch of my ripped stuff to DVD's, then I've got them archived without having to deal with each cd again (which was no fun)

Ripping the dvd's is interesting though. I forget the software I'm using. It's something someone recommended and I paid $30 or something for it. So far, it's ripping all the dvd's just fine except for two.

REM (forget the title) the sound is listenable but distorted enough over my PM 2.1's that I don't even want to listen to it

David Gilmour, "Meltdown". This one...how to describe it... if memory serves me, there is a whine during the playback (of the ripped tracks). It clearly seems as though they are trying to prevent it from being ripped. Kind of a bummer to me because I really like some of these tracks.

Are you going to be using it with your "big" system?

No intentions of that at all... I'm buying this (and the Klipsch Custom 3 ear phones) strictly for my upcoming trip. I've done the 6 or 12 hour flights (depending on location) and I'm trying to pack an Ipod with stuff to listen to just in case I want to break some boredom...especially on the 12 hour flight home. That's a killer flight.

If I were to then try this on my system, I guess I'd get an adapter that terminates in RCA's and route that into my Peach.

I'll use it when I'm cutting the fields too. Stick the ear thing in, put my hearing protection muffs on over that and fire up the tractor

Actually, I think this is more in line with MSFT, Mediaplayer

Here's the deal...

I've ripped thousands of songs onto my hard drive using Media player. I've also ripped DVD tracks using (forget name)

On my hard drive, I have named folders and each song has a name. Folder is name of Group with subfolder being name of CD

Here's the rub...

When I move over into Media player and/or Itunes... I have HUNDREDS of unknown artists... it's like the two aren't communicationg.

I'm beginning to think it might have been better to rip inside Itunes but I really do NOT want to re-do all this, besides, the dvd ripper only puts into WAV file I think so I'd have same problem with those files.

Any thoughts on why the stuff is getting lost?

Also...

Inside Media player, you can right click go into "Advanced Tag Editor" so that you can edit the song. When I go into Advanced Tag Editor, it's totally grayed out and does NOT give me access to input any information.

I've gone into windows explorer to properties and unchecked 'read only' and that hasn't helped.

any thoughts???