Peavey 22a drivers and how to ID 511 subtypes?

gearfreak

Howdy all,

I've just aquired some 511 style horns.

They have lost the labels, but based on the Peavey 22a drivers and adapters, would seem to be 1", thus 511B?

I've been perusing the LH site, but not finding any definative guide of sorts.

Anyone have hints for ID'ing whether they are 511B, 511E, etc. ?

Any comments on what to do with the 22a's?

Have not fired them up yet to see what they sound like as is...

thanks

Thanks Marvel,

Do you happen to know if they are the only 2 designations? 511B and 511E ?

I'll measure tonight. Got started cleaning them up and got the 22a's off and was intrigued that the horn throat looked smaller (smaller) in dia. than the driver's.

(maybe there's a 511 with a 3/4" throat?).

Enough conjecture.. I'll shut up and just go measure... :-)

Thanks all. These are black and have the 1" throat.

The holes/throats in the cast aluminum 2 bolt adaptors that fit the 22a appear to be machined from 3/4" at the driver to 1" at the mating point with the horn. Thus not a good match with the K-55-V? I'll look up those selenium adaptors and see what they are...

I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Some of the Emilar built designations are very confusing.

I've also have or have had "B" pairs of gold, brown, and black to go along with the greens. I have or have had the "A" models in the same colors except the gold. Some of the very old Seeburg Jukes remote speakers had the gold "A" I'm told but have never seen them.

My thinking is "Long ago companies would go out of their way to please customers" You could probably get any color you wanted just by asking.

Harry

You're pure evil, Maron. Interesting about the different colors, Harry. The gold I've seen - nice and flashy. I was wondering about re-painting myself, might be easiest just to cover the flat black w/flat black. I'm also wondering if these horns might benefit from a coating of spray dampening on the outside.

We've seen other altecs with some sort of dampening coating. I wonder if it is the same spray rubber as from the auto store (for your undercarriage) or some special audio sort. I don't think the auto stuff really dries (ever). Maybe a godo thing, but could get messy.

I think I will probably do satin on the interior, after some sanding or steel wool to remove existing imperfections. Maybe they'll look nice in raw aluminum though and I'll have something close to Maron's suggestion.