cornwall risers

edwardre

You and that 1812. Lord.

Let me say this clearly: The WRight Sound WPA 3.5 2A3 Monos will NOT crank out 1812, cannon and all, to 100dB in a LARGE room without sounding strained. This is just NOT the CD to push 2A3 SET amps. I can find material that would challenge them too. 1812, as I said before, is almost a joke at the audio shows... It puts tremendous sress on ANY system. The cannon shots are over the top for quite a few low power amps. SET amps are amazingly open and have surprising extension in the bottom within their range. My Moondogs have BETTER QUALITY BASS than my 200w B&K M200 Sonata Monoblocks! In fact, the bass via my Moondogs is better QUALITY than any amp I currently own. On the other hand, I can overdrive them if I put my mind to it. It's amazing what they CAN do but no need to go over the top.

Also, I really think you will hear an improvement with the risers and some form of coupling to the floor. Give this a go.

As for the oil caps, please see the 2 Channel archives. I have said TOO MUCH already and dont want to dredge it all up again. I think the oil caps provide the most natural sound of any of the caps, either in the coupling region OR speaker xover. MANY dont agree. I dont want to hear them all over again. They are a handful that really do like them, from Les, to randy, to Jeff, to Guy, To Tad, To ...etc. The basic stock Type B are the most sought after CW xover. Allan prefers them half the time to his ALK. They have a certain relaxed natural presentation with great transparency without any harshness. AGain, others on here will rattle of a million specs as to why this cant be so. Make you own call.

kh

Heh,

What can I say. Testing the limits of the system is necessary in my case. I like to know that the system can do, and what it can't. I little trait I picked up from my roadracing days. You have to know where the limits are so you can feel more comfortable within the limits.

I'll do some reading on the type Bs. I agree, you post too much in this forum as it is... heh.

-tb

I re-arranged my 2-channel set-up today. Bass is sounding a bit flabby. This is with the Nakamichi SR-3A, fed by either the Kenwood KD-500 w/Infinity Black Widow tonearm & Shure V15 type IV w/type III stylus, or a Sony SCD-CE775 SACD. On carpeted wood-framed floor. I am wondering if I should expect the Fisher 500C (repaired and soon on its way home) to produce a tighter low-end. I'm also having some troubles with footfalls/microphonics, too. I guess some sort of isolation platform would be beneficial. C&S uses another of his granite slabs over 4 handballs, and is happy wit the results. I'm not sure if spikes, massive bases, or some combination (in addition to some floor framing beef-up) are in my future.

fini

I cant beleve that I have been sucked into this topic again. But,...... I will match 4 CWs in a 2 channel system against any 2 cornerhorns and slam them to death. But, the CW box is weak.

I am a CW lover,and always thought that the design was perfect. I was wrong. I have installed most of the "tweeks' and have noticed an inprovment after each one. Upgraded X-overs, caulked mids and tweeter, extra 3/4" bracing on the back. 1"x1" steel bracing on the motor board. The works.

Moral of the story? Dont back away from the mods. Play with placement. Play with all of it. Tune the room.

tc

fini,

From what I read, the general concencious is with carpeted floors, you want spikes to contact the wood or flooring underneth. Should improve and tighted bass and less energy will be sent through the floor to your source components.

I will be building new risers for mine, something like what Allan Songer has done.

IB,

I agree, the CW box is a weak link. I't was pretty aparent to me after getting the RB-5s. Driving an entirely different set of speaker from the same components made it clear to me.

I've already done the caulk for the tweeter, squauker, and woofer basket, and they are seriously CAUKED! Very noticeable improvement in imaging and clarity. I took the risers off and now have the CW sitting on 4 tennis balls cut in half. I'm very happy with the change, it's a new speaker.

- tb

• 2 years later...

TB,

I am awaiting the delivery of my CW III's and was looking to add risers to them. Your post is the newest (2003) on this topic..... Why the tennis balls instead of a riser? The weight of the CW dosen't crush the ball half to the floor? Sound improvement? How?

Thanks,