Sweating ears...

Coytee

Ok, that sounds gross.

Just wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this (or perhaps the only one doing this?)

Working outside cutting a field. C-3's inside my ears and over my ears are some Pro Ears http://www.pro-ears.com/shootingsportshearingprotection.htm

The pro ears have always been hot to wear in the warmer months but when mowing, you do what you gotta do. Although they are padded, they are vinyl covered so they don't breath at all.

Now, I've noticed the sound intermittently cut out. I've also noticed that the C-3's seem "slippery" inside the ear as its getting moist in there. I've also noticed the sound cutting out although this is either from the tip sliding around and hitting the skin in the ear or maybe some perspiration blocking the tip. It has nothing to do with the C3's producing sound, just me hearing it.

Now I'm a bit curious as to what I might be able to do about this if anything? It's tough to get some air in there when I've got all sorts of things plugging it up. If you have some sweat inside your ear, C3's stuck on top of that with some over ear protection on top of THAT...what's one to do when the C3's begin to moosh about?

I've started and killed this thread about 3 times now because I can't think of anything I can do to help this situation and a discussion about this situation in general, just seems gross.

Richard,
With you ears not getting any air they are sweating and the hole in the tip of the C3 is pretty easy to cover over, probably not even a dop would do it. I know when I was trying tips out the long double flanged tips would hit the side of my ear canal and shut off the sound, could yours be doing this? Also if the tip is in the middle of your ear canal verses closer to the side it would be less likely to get sweat in the tip. I use the med. or large single tip and stopped having the problem with the opening hitting the side of the ear canal. doeas any of this make since??? Steve

Probably make more sense if you posted pictures of your ear canals...[;)] Ok, I'm joking.

I'm not 100% sure yet what the exact cause is or if it's a combonation of several issues.

I've found that when I wear my Pro-ears over the C3's, the C3's work better when I use the normal tip and not the double flange. The double flange seems to let itself be moved about by the headphones a bit and the single flange seems to stay put better. Perhaps the single flange "rotates in place" much like a ball/socket, keeping its seal better than the double flange which might not rotate as freely as a ball/socket concept without allowing air gaps when the angle of insertion is moved. Meaning, maybe the double flange is more exacting in how it has to be installed (to yield a better seal than single flange) but the single flange is more forgiving. Make sense?? (I wonder if there's any merit in that?)

I'm also not sure if it's the tip moving about & hitting the ear canal as you say, and essentially, cutting it off OR if perhaps it's a drop of sweat that is finding the eartip hole and plugging it up. When I pulled it out I couldn't really tell for sure but the tip seemed clear, implying perhaps it's movement and not perspiration.

I can say that I removed everything from my ears/head and took my pinky finger and the tail of my shirt and stuck it into my ear to dry it out. (needed drying as I was getting "squishy" feels in my ear like when you're swimming or in shower)

I really think the only good answer is good breathing in that area and any air movement is severely curtailed with two forms of ear coverage installed.

Richard, I do all kinds of work outside around the house and I were IEM's all the time. They block most of the outside noise to include power tools, mowers, weed whackers and the like. I'm not sure what your sound reduction is with those hot boxes over your ears but I would think the reduction in noise with your heaters on is just not worth it. I can still hear these tools when I work but working in IEM's is never going to be sitting in your main rig sweet spot!

I can still hear these tools when I work but working in IEM's is never going to be sitting in your main rig sweet spot!

Does that include framing nailers...[:P]

As for the hotboxes... I have a hard time NOT using them... you ask is the reduction in noise worth having the heaters on... I'd ask is the risk of hearing damage worth NOT having them on!!

(in spite of the reputation I might have being a volume ***** I really DO try to protect my ears....after all...if I'm GOING to go deaf then I'd MUCh rather it be from Jubilation than tractorization!!!)

[8]

Unbeknown to you or anyone... one of the tractors we have (35 hp) has no muffler (uncles next door). Just so happens he's into dual hearing aids now and I'm absolutely convinced that this tractor (over the years) is why.

Then there is the 90 hp tractor.... muffles pretty well. Then there is the 90 hp backhoe/loader with turbo (man I love hearing that turbo whine...why is that??!!)

So, I just try to play all these things safe... hearing protection on, chaps on (when using chain saw), careful with the baggy clothes and then when I get home, turn the volume up to 11 [6]

keeps it nice & simple!

Richard,

You crack me up! I am glad you are listening to my plea and sticking Klipsch in your ears, even though they get sweaty. Have no fear we have already done chemical sweat tests and all our models have passed gracefully. You may experience some temporary shutting down of the armature with lots of sweat but you can buy hearing aid dehumidifiers and dry them out if you use them regularly during your work in the heat.

The cutting off of sound could also be that the exit of the ear gel is laying close to the wall of your ear canal and plugging the output from time to time.

I gotta agree with you about hearing dosages. I would much rather concentrate on hearing protection when needed and turning it up to 11 for fun!

You gotta luv those turbo's. If I get down your way I would love to drive some of those big power tools.