Need Advice: Room Size (RF83 or RF 82,...)

Dubiedown

Hi

I am about to purchase my first Klipsch, I know I am getting the 64 Center and surronds - 62 if I get the 83 or 52 if I get the 82 or less.

I have listened to the RF 83 an RF 82 (Most of the RF series). All are incredible.

My Current Setup:

NAD T125 tuner pre amp

NAD T975 7 channel amp

55" Samsung Tunsen DLP

Energy 5e speakers, B&W sub, Mirage center

My room is where my concern comes in. It is a fairly descent size of 18.5 by 14 but I am wondering if this is too small for the RF83's, maybe even the RF82s, I may possibly have to get the RF63.

Any advice or feeback from owners and there room size for there setup would be great.

• Moderators

I have the RF-83's in a 17.5 x 18 room. I absolutely love the sound of them. My room is far from ideal since there is no wall behind my 83's. You can see the front of the room here. This definitely hinders bass but my 15" sub takes care of that.

If you can afford it..........go for the 83's................cuts out that dang...........(if I'd only...........thought).

I currently have Cornwalls in a 20x 12 room............Fills the space nicely without my feeling that I am pushing the Speakers.........

Good Luck, Post Pics and let us know what you end up with !.........god, I love suggesting how to spend others money !

• Moderators

Get the best that you can afford. It is easy for many of us to suggest "get the best" but in reality, we all have different budgets. It will be over a year before I have my 5.1 setup because of the cost of the RF-83 system. I am totally willing to wait and save though. I know it will be worth it in the long run. We live in an instant society that tells us that we have to "have it now". What happened to the good ole days when we saved up our money and paid cash for the things that we wanted to purchase. Now that's a novel idea. [:D] The RF-82's are no slouch by any means. Paired with a good amp or receiver, they will sing and shout! If you get the 82's, get the RC-62. If you go with the RF-83's, get the RC-64. Take your time with it. Map out a plan, save up, and then go for it. For the past 11 years I have basically given my wife anything she wants. Now it's my turn. LOL.

Hi

I would like to thank everyone for their great advice. A couple of replies show that their room is with in a couple of feet of mine and have the 83's.

My main question was for basically asking for recommended room size for certain speakers and or what others have their system setup in (is my room big enough for the 83's).

Some how a few quotes in stream become a $ issue/topic, I was not going to reply to those but since I am 44 and have been working my butt off since I was 13 from retrieving golf balls at Putt Putt Golf (first job) to working 16 hrs days for my own propritership company and working contract for another. I try to put a little away at a time into the "Entertainment Account". I have always purchased within my budget (why I am looking today) and told myself last time that I was going to save a little longer to get the best for my listening standards as what I had before upgrading would be good enough to last a few more yrs than my other systems. My last upgrade was 10 or so yrs ago and I do not do or have the connectivity that is needed for todays systems (hdmi,blu-ray,efficency,technology...). I started with Pre-amp and amp last month (lots of research before hand) and now into the speakers (currently researching, and I have heard-listened to a lot of speakers :)).

After I hooked up new tuner pre amp and 7 ch amp, it really brought out the differrent sensitivity/effeciency within my assorted speakers (and lack of sound I want). I do not mind setting up presets for certain mucic types (jazz, rock, movies) that have certain components DBs + or - a couple, but to me should only be doing this becuase of the room setup-listening type, not becuase of the difference in brands sensitivies/effeciencies. In my opinion it is important to try to match the sensivity/effeciency up as close of as you can. This is why I am going to stay within the same family this time.

I will keep checking back for more quotes and again appreciate all feedback.

If I were you, I would save up and buy the 83's it is sooooooo worth the wait. Besides paying for it with cash you saved is so much more satisfying. Believe me the speakers even sound better. And my wife and I have a little system going on. We call it blackmail money. If I spend 1000.00 I have to spend the same amount on her. Oh well everything is twice as expensive but there is no beef from the old lady either...Ahhhhhh refreshing.

• Moderators

Besides paying for it with cash you saved is so much more satisfying.

Can't agree with you more there. Can't wait till we start on the house so I can begin to put money aside for the theater room.

And my wife and I have a little system going on. We call it blackmail money. If I spend 1000.00 I have to spend the same amount on her. Oh well everything is twice as expensive but there is no beef from the old lady either

That's hillarious. My system is a little different. I let her buy whatever she wants now because I know when I want to invest in our equipment for the theater room, it's going to be a huge investment and I might need to recall all the things I let her buy. I absolutely do not think you can go wrong with the RF-83's. Yes they are extremely expensive. I am blown away by them everytime I listen to them. My 5 yr old daughter has been wanting me to buy a DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) game for the PS2 after I purchased a dance mat a few months ago at a yard sale for $3.00. We bought the game last night and we of course had to unhook the PS2 from my son's room and bring it into the living room with the RF-83's. What a blast. So much fun and brought the game to life.

I have a Yamaha 663 and I love it. They push my 62's nicely. But then again as far as speakers and recievers go, I want the best of the best. And one day I will have it even if I have to buy one speaker at a time.

Just killin' me. Reading this stuff almost makes me throw up in my mouth. But due to room/family constraints and $$ stuff, I have to go with the 82's. Probably with the 62 center and a yamaha 663. I wish I was young and rich, but oh well.

• Moderators

You betcha. We are building our first and hopefully last home. We have worked very hard to become totally debt free so that we can build our dream home. The theater room will definitely be a nice feature when we want to sell the home and retire in 30 - 40 years. By then, my RF-83's will have become a part of the heritage line. [:P]

I think you have to go into it looking at an investment or you will never be able to justify spending that kind of cash. Investment for your family time, entertaining friends, having a cool place my kids can invite their friends over. I would rather them have their friends at our house so that we know who they are hanging out with (granted my oldest is only 9 yrs old). It's even an investment in the fact that if my wife ever gets mad at me I will offer to spend the night in the theater room. LOL. And of course, there is a great financial investment when we decide to sell our home and downsize when we are old and no longer have 4 kids living in the house and no longer need a 4000 square foot house.

I have the RF-83 in a 12X13 dorm room complete with plaster and cinderblock walls. I would say it would sound great in a room 4 times bigger as everything is too close but then again, they sound (insert curse word U2 used as an adjective) great none the less. I am wating for the other part of my order (crown XTI with aphex system) to see how they shine. my signature has the rest of my stuff.

I have to agree with the others here. If I had to purchase my speakers all over again I would still get the RF-83 set. I love them and every time I sit down with my gf to watch a movie or tv it is just great. My room size is just a little bigger then yours, can it be overpowering sometimes yes but with some movies it is great that way. [:D]

I was fortunate enough to be able to purchase the RF-83, RC-64, and RS-62 at the same time. I am still looking to purchase a sub but that purchase again will be made with cash.

Also like others have stated get the best that you can afford and stay with that recommended setup, timber match is a great thing.

James