Stupid question about RF-3II binding posts

mamacmil

Ok, this may be a stupid question, but I can't get my banana clips plugged into the binding posts on a brand new set of RF3IIs. I've got quintets, and the banana plug plugs straight into the binding post. On the RF3s the binding post has a plug in the end of it, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get them out. Any ideas? I attached a picture so you can take a look.

Mamacmil, I have my Rf-3's bi wired the posts are exactly the same as your II's ,just get something sharp like a knife put them in one of the spaces and lift the little banana caps off or whatever they are called, now you can insert your banana plug bi wire speaker cable.

Ok penguin lets see if we are referring to the same thing. If you look at the picture he has those hexagonal type nuts i think they are called the binding posts you unscrue them and put speaker wire in the little holes underneath them. BUt he wants to bi wire with banana plugs. IN order to do this you screw that hexagonal nut or binding post tight and that little cap on top pops right off. You just have a little space to work with around the circumference of that cap, use something sharp, a knife or a needle and it pops right off by lifting up. Now you can just insert the banana plug right into the binding post because it will have the opening to put it in and wallah.

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I wasn't prying hard enough. When I first connected these speakers I just assumed they couldn't take the banana plugs I bought. I was pretty upset, and I couldn't figure out why Klipsch would make reference speakers that didnt take banana plugs. Which kind of makes me wonder, why didnt they leave them off in the first place? My Denon receiver didn't have any banana caps on. Anyways all is good now. Thanks JLL.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

They put the caps there for the European market which uses electrical plugs which look like they would plug into binding posts. Personally, I would think that if you are DUMB enough to plug a electric plug into your speakers or into the binding posts of your amplifier you deserve what you get.

I suppose that is the Republican in me!

I see this question coming up from time to time. My old speakers don't have the problem.

But I wonder if there is a better way of extracting the plug.

It seems to me that it should be possible to totally unscrew the plastic nut, or cap, or whatever we call it. Then it would be possible to use a nail, a Philips head screwdriver, or the like to push the plug out from the other side.

This might be easier and safer than using a knife to pry it, or a screw to pull it.

I've not tried it, naturally. Comment on the merits?

Here is an additional item. Let's assume a newcomer to the board decides to use the search function for an answer to the problem. What would we call it so they'd get a hit? It seems to be an issue of what the newcomer would call it too. A conundrum.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 01-19-2002 at 11:15 PM

Whoops, looking at the picture I see what you mean. The plug is in metal post, not in the nut.

Homer Simpson "Doouugh" and Curlie Howard head slap for me!

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 01-19-2002 at 11:22 PM