Tone controls (bass/treble) on Onkyo 605

nezff

On my Onkyo TXSR605 there is an option for bass/treble or tone controls as its called. By default from Onkyo this is set to 0 and 0. bass and treble both has values from -10 to +10. I started playing with these the other day and let me tell you, there is a big difference from 0 values to +10 values. I tried both set to +10 and they sound pretty darn good. I guess my concern is, by doing this, am I doing any harm to the speakers by setting this so high? On my RF62s the increased bass sounds great. I start noticing the change in sound around +6 value. The values go as follows: +2,+4,+6,+8,and +10. When I play with the treble setting, the sound gets more I would say more clear if you will. It sounds very pingy if the bass is not equal or more than the treble setting. I ran them both up to +10 and the sound is better than the 0 value hands down. What exactly am I doing by messing with these settings? thanks for all your help guys.

Purists will go tsk at your using tone controls at all. So doing, in their view, degrades the signal and introduces distortion. But people hear differently. If it sounds good to you, go for it. Just be sure to listen for any distortion or "forced" quality at higher volumes and if that occurs, back off the volume and/or the tone controls.

10db bass boost is quite a lot. It may be that your speakers are bass-shy below around 50hz. If you have a chance to borrow someone's powered subwoofer, hook it up, set your amp tone controls to flat, turn up the subwoofer volume by itself to your liking, and see if you like what you hear.

I have a powered sub. I had the RF62s and RC62 set at bass 0 and treble 0. Like i said, it just seems to sound more clearer sounding. Is this a bad thing turning them up this far? pros or cons?

Tone Control ±10 dB, 50 Hz (Bass) ±10 dB, 20 kHz (Treble)

The tonal contols in the menu simply replace the old Bass and Treble knobs on the front of the older receivers. I have my bass at 0 and my treble at +3.

yeah, i keep playing with them more and more. I have tried + 8 on both, + 6 on both, now +4 on both. they all still sound a little better than just 0 on both. Default setting which i had it at, is 0. The settings read like this: -10 -8 -6 -4 -2 0 +2 +4 +6 +8 +10. Im so confused right now with this. I had been listening to this sytem just at default this whole time. Now I found a setting that sounds a little better. On movies, there is not a real noticable difference. In music is where you can definately hear the change. I played some music this morning with some guitar and snare drums, and the increase in treble is very noticable. I dont think Im hurting the speakers at all am I? I found out the these settings increase the 50hz frequency on the bass setting and the 20khz frequency on the treble setting. So by increasing these values, I am only bumping up these frequencies.

• Moderators

I dont think Im hurting the speakers at all am I?

No as long as the sound is smoothe and not distorted. If it begins to sound harsh, back off the setting. Not sure about your receiver but my Onkyo has an EQ that can be adjusted for each speaker in addition to the Tonal Controls.

I dont think Im hurting the speakers at all am I?

No as long as the sound is smoothe and not distorted. If it begins to sound harsh, back off the setting. Not sure about your receiver but my Onkyo has an EQ that can be adjusted for each speaker in addition to the Tonal Controls.

My onkyo has the following eq settings: NONE, MANUAL, AUDYSSEY. I ran audyssey and leave it on that. I can adjust the total volume of each speaker also. Distorted meaning crackle or pop sounding? I dont really turn them up very much anyway. 60-65 is usually my limit. Most of my listening for movies or music is around 45-55. I am getting better bass out of my RF62s now. The treble seems clean and clear sounding now also. I watched The Golden Compass the other night on Blu, and WOW what a great sounding movie. The dts master audio track is 7.1 and is amazing. For all those who havent seen it, just wait until you get to meet the BEAR. RUMBLE!

any more advice on these tonal settings would much appreciated.

• Moderators

Distorted meaning crackle or pop sounding?

Not so much crackle or popping (however those are always bad), more like sounding harsh or forced. If it doesn't sound smoothe and natural, then they are likely becoming distorted.