Heresy 1 Upgrades

Hi. First post after lurking on this forum for some time. I have to say I have never found a group more knowledgeable or passionate about their speakers in all my travels on the net. I've just rebuilt a trashed set of Heresy 1's with new woofers, new caps and new ribbon grain mahogany veneer and slant risers. I dropped the tweeter and midrange down a tap on the autoformer and modded the crossover to keep it in spec. These speakers now sound and look terrific. I also have a set of AR 9LSi in the room and people often don't realize its the Heresy's playing, not the AR's.

post-31046-13819373649554_thumb.jpg

Hi. First post after lurking on this forum for some time. I have to say I have never found a group more knowledgeable or passionate about their speakers in all my travels on the net. I've just rebuilt a trashed set of Heresy 1's with new woofers, new caps and new ribbon grain mahogany veneer and slant risers. I dropped the tweeter and midrange down a tap on the autoformer and modded the crossover to keep it in spec. These speakers now sound and look terrific. I also have a set of AR 9LSi in the room and people often don't realize its the Heresy's playing, not the AR's.

Very nice. I did the same mod to Heresy crossovers and thought that it was not quite enough. But with your Heresys on the floor on risers they must sound great. Nice job on them.

WHOOOAAAWWW- nice start man! H I, SRB styled from the H III, Mahogany and cane- yeeooow Welcome to the madness indeed!

Marshall- make mine Mahogany! Michael

Fasted: Absoultely Superb Work!!! That ribbon striped mahogany is really balanced with the light grills.Talk about a WAF factor rating off the charts!!!!![:D]

CP: Call Joes' 800 number and "git you one of them sheets"; don't forget to unroll it and lay it out flat!!!

Another shot of this set under the knife. The veneer was applied the old fashioned way with contact cement, and given 4 sprayed on coats of satin polyurethane rubbed out with 220 grit between each coat to fill the grain. They really are flat as a mirror and the poly finish is bullet proof against most anything. Cabinet internal braces were all reglued and caulked and the backs were made out of 3/4" think baltic birch to cut down on resonances.

In case you're wondering, I used to be a furniture maker in another life.

post-31046-13819373672812_thumb.jpg

To answer a question, the grill material is real Marshall Cane as per the vintage guitar amps. Its really expensive at $53 for piece thats 31" X 36" (enough to do both speakers). This material is very stiff and must first be glued to the front of the grill with contact cement and then the corners need to be ironed over the back side with an iron set on high. In case you don't know, heat is a great activator for contact cement and will make it stick like the proverbial shit to a blanket.

You can get Marshall Cane and lots of other vintage grill cloth on the net from a few sources, but the best I've found is a company called Mojo Musical Supply out of Burgaw, North Carolina. Their website is mojotone.com and they give great service and have the best prices.

Good luck with your own upgrades.

Fasted

post-31046-13819373678216_thumb.jpg