Serial number confusion...

texas42

I just purchased a pair of Forte II's; only one has the serial number on it. I checked the sticky (on this forum) for serial numbers but can't see where mine applies. The serial number on the sticker on the back of one of my speakers is 2/52900// I'm guessing the 2nd month, 5th day of 1992? And those are slash marks (//) not ones. Or maybe the '2/' is the second speaker (of the same pair) and it was made the 5th day of 1992? Any ideas...?

I have forte II's from 89 to 95. No serial numbers have slashes. However, there are dates on the older forte's. They are not serial numbers but dates. For example, my first pair from 1989 have serials 8997208 and 8997207 and both also have 89-14289 plus 09-06-89 and 10-20-89. Obviously there is no 97th week so the basic key does not necessarily apply. You need serial numbers and not the other numbers to get a better idea of what you have.

Well, I solved my own mystery (I think...). After taking a pic (on macro setting) with my camera to 'prove' there were indeed slashes in my SN; it appears these are probably 7's with the tops worn off? In that case, it makes sense the 275290077 means built the 275th day of 1992 with the 0077 being the rest of the serial number. I guess it's time for reading glasses... :-(

post-12477-13819374109878_thumb.jpg

Klipsch's numbering system got a bit mixed up in the 1990-1992 period. To get a fairly close approximation of the date of manufacture, you may want to see if you can spot the serial numbers on the woofers and then call Klipsch for date info. I ran into something similar with my second pair of Heresy IIs. I haven't taken the time to pull out the woofers yet, since 1990-92 is close enough for me at the moment.

Well, I solved my own mystery (I think...). it appears these are probably 7's with the tops worn off? In that case, it makes sense the 275290077 means built the 275th day of 1992 with the 0077 being the rest of the serial number. I guess it's time for reading glasses... :-(

Yup, them's are 7's[:D] You ain't lived until you have to lay an older Heresy down on it's front and shine a flashlight sideways to see the faint impression where the completely faded out s/n was handwritten!!![8-|]