Members Weekly Music Recommendation-May 20

thebes

Quite frankly I delayed posting this because I was stumped. I don't like to repeat my recommendations and nothing I had played recently fit the bill. Fortunately, yesterday I received a video from a friend with a musical performance that certainly allows me to commend it to you.

"Erocia", a film on dvd with nothing less than the entire performance of Ludvig van Beethoven's Symphony #3. How cool is that. A movie, a fairly good drama about BT's early years and a full tilt boogey surround sound DTS concert thrown in.

Sound great to me.

So whatt do you have for me this week?

EAT A PEACH : THE ALLMAN BROTHERS BAND ................ Really like the CD version of Mountain Jam, all on one disc, not half on one LP, and half on the other side .......... Duane and Dickie swapping leads, done Live, great stuff ........................

JETHRO TULL : THICK AS A BRICK ........... again, CD version, all on one disc, no flipping LP to hear other part of the album

TWIN PEAKS : MOUNTAIN ........... Nantucket Sleighride on one disc, no flipping Lp to hear the complete work

many examples of this on CD, a big reason why I choose CD's over Vinyl, too old to play Disc Jockey. How you choose to listen to your music is up to you, doesn't matter, just listen. The recorded media world is changing, and changing fast, Lp's, Cd's, tapes may become things of the past. Stock up people, the times they are a changing .............. EH !!!!!!!!!!

I went back and looked at my last five recommendations and boy have I been in an odd mood lately. This makes me want odd music. My girlfriend said if I didn't stop playing Nina Hagen that she would put tranqs in my dinner. I stopped.

This week I am abit chilled out perhaps she did slip me tranqs. I love music from all over the world. African music from the 60's and 70's is just amazing. The High Life genre is beautiful. It makes me want to grill and be in the sun. Osadebe is one of the later High Life musicians. I gotta find some early examples of the genre. If you can find an original high life record from Africa it will only have 4 songs because they are musical explorations. They are also very rare I paid $20 for a scratchy old record with 4 songs and wouldn't trade it. High Life songs can sound very different from song to song which is another thing I love about them.

Osadebe.jpg

Here is Wikipidia entry on High Life.

Highlife is a musical genre that originated in Ghana and spread to Sierra Leone and Nigeria in the 1920s and other West African countries. It is very popular in Liberia

and all of English-speaking West Africa, although little has been

produced in other countries due to economic challenges brought on by

war and instability. "Joromi" is a sub-genre.

Highlife is characterized by jazzy horns and multiple guitars which lead the band. Recently, it has acquired an uptempo, synth-driven sound (cf. Daddy Lumba).

Osadebe started his career

when he was 23. He played with the Stephen Amache Band for awhile, then

continued his career with the Central Dance Band. In 1964 he started

his own band, Soundmakers International. Oasadebe spends most of his time playing highlife music;

due to this he is considered to be one of the top highlife musicians.

In 1981 he was awarded with a gold disc for the LP Onu Kwulonjo. By the

mid-'80s, Osadebe

was at the height of his career selling over 700,000 records with his

hit album Osondi Owendi. ~ All Music Guide, All Music Guide.

Here is one of Osadebe high life videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRSbmVU6V0

The light happy sound written and produced under such terrible conitions. It is beautiful.

I just learned Osadebe passed away February 2008. Good article about his life. He wrote beautiful music and took care of his people. RIP.

A Tribute to Bright Osadebe: a High Profile Highlife Musician From Anioma

http://www.articlesbase.com/news-and-society-articles/a-tribute-to-bright-osadebe-a-high-profile-highlife-musician-from-anioma-398637.html

Her is another article.

Chief Stephen Osita Osadebe, 71, titan of highlife music

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/obituaries/articles/2007/05/20/chief_stephen_osita_osadebe_71_titan_of_highlife_music/

I'll be listening to High Life all weekend.

My sister turned me on to Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66 when I was about 12 yesrs old. Thanks Robin, wherever you are. I love you sweetheart. Although I was hung up on Elvis at the time, Brazil 66 was kinda cool. I appreciate them now even more. They are famous for "The Girl From Ipanema", but I especially like their version of "Fool on the Hill".

My sister turned me on to Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66 when I was about 12 yesrs old. Thanks Robin, wherever you are. I love you sweetheart. Although I was hung up on Elvis at the time, Brazil 66 was kinda cool. I appreciate them now even more. They are famous for "The Girl From Ipanema", but I especially like their version of "Fool on the Hill".

There is some great music from Mexico and South America. I didn't expect to like Juan Esquivel and Perez Prado but some of there music is just neat. I don't like all their stuff but what I do is great.