Now that I have my Corns...what kind of risers?

Hi,

I'll be posting some pics soon,but right now I could use some suggestions on what to use as a riser.

I do have the stock riser.but the speakers aren't pre-drilled,so I very reluctant to do that myself.

I was thinking of using Blu-tack on the risers with Herbies Audio Lab big black dots underneath.

Or getting some Timbernation platforms w/spikes ...any suggestions?

p.s. I still haven't figured out how to do any of this with such a heavy speaker.

Stock risers have the outer edge of the risers exactly one inch in from the front edge of the speaker and sides and are flush with the rear of the speaker.

There are twoscrews on front and back edges of the riser and they are exactly 4" in from the corners of the riser on each side. The single screw on each side is centered in the middle.

The most important thing to do initially is to spend some time on placement of the speakers. Cornwalls means Corner and Walls. If you can get them into corners great, if not you will probably want them close to your walls. Experiment.

Also many people "toe" them in (angled towards listening position) slightly to keep reflections off the side walls. You are trying to build a triangle between where you sit and the speakers with the sound hitting your ears or just behind them evenly. Tilting them up or down may help depending upon how tall or short you are and how high you sit in relation to the tweeters. Patience is rewarded and take these steps before you start fooling around with new gear, spiked feet, wires and all the other rigamorole.

Joe,

I think that using some mildly adhesive stuff like Blu-tack would yield disappointing results. If I were you, I'd just use screws, like God (and Paul) intended. I mean, it's the bottom of the speaker, right? What kind of flooring do you have now?

As for getting to the bottom of these big boys, I would clear a space, put an edge of a soft blanket underneath one side of the speaker, and drop it on its side, fully on the blanket. One more roll, and it's upside-down. Just make sure you protect all surfaces (especially edges and corners) as you do this. Follow Marty's suggestions for placement, and Jay's suggestion for screw length.

Originally, Cornwalls were suplied with chrome "buttons" (real name: Domes of Silence) , one in each corner on the bottom. They make it easy to slide the Cornwalls (especially in the factory, as the speaker makes its way through the assembly process). Being able to slide them easily has advantages in the home, for convenience. Other more grippy choices may (or may not) sound better, but their use will mean when you want to reposition the speakers, you'll need to lift & place, rather than slide. You could use the Domes, then when you've figured out the best placement, tilt the speakers and place the grippy things between the Dome and the floor.

When I redid my Cornwalls I went to Joanne Fabics and bought a roll of this felt like material and applied it to the risers with some glue. I didn't want to scratch the speaker even though it is the bottom of the speaker. I spent a month on them. Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone believe in spikes? I have a carpeted floor on cement. I have used spikes for my vandersteens with good results. I think I will build a base like the Heresy and paint it black. Also trying to decide between cherry or walnut for the veneer replacment.

I made my own risers. And I use spikes too. I made these about 10 years ago.

I used 1 1/2" walnut stock and made risers to the same outside dimension of the original Klispch risers. I then screwed 1/16" sheet metal to one side and FILLED the void with play sand. I then screwed another sheet of steel on the other side of the riser. I then set these HEAVY risers on metal spikes and cones (hardwood floors) and put the Cornwalls on the risers.

This did more to tighten up the bottom end than any other "tweak" you can name.