I never knew classic rock rocked

CAS

I love the rock of the eighties, nineties an today but never had a feel for anything prior to that. I think it's because my father (I'm 30 now by the way) always had the radio on the golden oldies station that played the same ten or twenty 60's and 70's pop tunes over and over until I was nauseated. Is that all that this era put out? No way; now I'm discovering the hard rock of old and freaking loving it! For those who grew up in that era what was it like? It seems like such an amazing time to me.

There were non-bubble gum bands Just take your pick, from the Allman Brothers to ZZTop! Nothing but good stuff. You may find it hard in 20 years to know for sure who you like the best. That part may be easy. It is the music you are listening to at that particular moment, through Klipsch.

IMHO.......

You missed the "discovery" of black artists by a white audience, in the fifties and sixties. You missed the attempt by white corporate stooges to hijack the white teen audience via payola and American Bandstand. You missed the evolution of music through the sixties and the anti-vietnam war sentiment. You missed the decline of a pop audience in the mid to late seventies, because of a fragmentation of radio audiences. You missed the shooting star of disco that filled the void left by the decline of the pop audience.

Not to worry....

It's all available on CD.

1965 to 1975 were the Golden Years of Rock .......... everything Bill Cain wrote about and more ....... so many styles of Music, and real instruments played by real people ....................... Music has NO Color, No Age, has NO bounderies ........... So many styles, so many Names, it was great, and then the Music Companies took over, the "Faceless" Hit Maker Bands, music on tape, turn out the hits ............ Me, I loved it, still kinda' live it, ..... Classic Rock is where I hang my hat ................... LONG LIVE ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Woodstock wasn't the beginning of the Summer of Love .................... It was THE END of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beatles, Jeff Beck, Blue Cheer, Cat Stevens, Cactus, Cream, Donovan, Derek & The Dominoes,Deep Purple, Edgar Winter, Grand Funk, Mott The Hoople, Humble Pie,Johnny Winter, Led Zeppelin.............start anywhere, and you will be back, and back through, again,and again.

Growing up in the 1950s and 60s in Detroit was a true musical experience. We were surrounded by a musical fusion of soul, rock & pop by local artists of the era. Motown was in its heyday black and white kids danced together in the streets of Downtown Detroit on nearly every summer Saturday afternoon in the late 1960s when Detroit held its "Happenings" on the Kern Block with J.L. Hudson's as a backdrop. I'd take the city bus downtown for 35 cents from Allen Park and spend all day down there. My parents never worried about me and there was no need. Woodward Avenue was closed to traffic and the entire area was awash in people from all over the Detroit area listening to free outdoor concerts by the likes of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Aretha Franklin, Alice Cooper, Gladys Night and the Pips, Bob Seeger and Stevie Wonder. Awesome!

Today, Detroit holds its weekend music festivals each summer weekend in Hart Plaza on the waterfront of the Detroit River. Last weekend was the annual Motown Hoedown, the largest free outdoor country music festival in the world. This weekend is the Electronic Music Festival, again the largest Techno Music gathering in the world. Visitors from all over the world are here especially from Germany. Techno music actually began here in Detroit a number of years ago. The following weekends this summer are primarily devoted to music of different ethnicities. All of the music is free and it draws some huge big name performers. Moby is here this weekend to name one. And to think, no one ever has anything nice to say about Detroit. That's because they have no clue what this city is really like. It's not "Wisteria Lane" for certain, as it has its share of urban issues like most other large cities, but it has its share of merits, too. But that's not what sells newspapers, unfortunately. -Glenn

I think it's because my father (I'm 30 now by the way) always had the radio on the golden oldies station that played the same ten or twenty 60's and 70's pop tunes over and over until I was nauseated.

My parents always watched Lawrence Welk [:S] so a golden oldies station doesn't sound so bad.... but you've hit the problem of many stations, especially pop stations, they run the same 10 or 20 songs into the ground until you can't stand them anymore and then move on to another 10 or 20 songs.... anyone remember "You Light Up My Life" or want to.

About the same if there was NO STAX RECORDS .........................................

OB, I'm not sure if I'm young and ignorant or old and forgetful as I'm not sure ritght this minute what I'd be missing without STAX records but know or remember enough to know that would be very tragic... thankfully Motown and STAX both came about and thrived.

".... long live rock, be it dead or alive ..." The Who (though I don't recall which song)

Booker T & The MG's, Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, The Righteous Sisters, & Rufus Thomas(?)...came out of STAX.

I cheated because I watched a PBS on subject awhile back.

And I recently scored a vinyl copy of Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay

post-26727-1381937439351_thumb.jpg

Booker T & The MG's, Otis Redding, Isaac Hayes, The Righteous Sisters, & Rufus Thomas(?)...came out of STAX.

I cheated because I watched a PBS on subject awhile back.

And I recently scored a vinyl copy of Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay

That is really a nice score! Talk about good stuff. All I have left of Otis is The Dictionary Of Soul, LP. Talking about good stuff.

That is really a nice score! Talk about good stuff. All I have left of Otis is The Dictionary Of Soul, LP. Talking about good stuff.

This is my first Otis Redding album. I'm not even aware of an Otis Redding track on any compilation CDs. I stand corrected, we have "Love Man" and "These Arms of Mine" on the Ultimate Dirty Dancing CD.

Don't ya just love the artist and song info available on digital music players? How'd we live without this feature. We've got 222 CDs in our spreadsheet inventory, some with track info, and 487 in my mp3 inventory spreadsheet that I've loaded on our mp3 player . Never got around to getting any musical catloging software and at one time had thought of building my own in Access or more recentlyl in DB2 Express C but sounds too much like work. Of course now I've learned that maybe I want FLAC or Apple Lossless compression though neither is going to happen for our rather clunky 60GB Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Zen Xtra. An entire music collection, in theory, but no vinyl made portable yet in the palm of my hand - how cool is that?

Music, to paraphrase, OB, it's all good.

Was not aware of the slim pickings on CD, for this artist. As for the digital, I am light years behind. If you know Access software, well I am behind there also.

If I can dig up some Otis, I promise to let you know.

Was not aware of the slim pickings on CD, for this artist. As for the digital, I am light years behind. If you know Access software, well I am behind there also.

If I can dig up some Otis, I promise to let you know.

I hope there's more Otis Redding on CD. The 2 songs I listed are all I have on CD or anything before scoring The Dock Of The Bay LP. Sorry if I caused any confusion. I would think most of his catalog should've found it's way to CD by now.

I'm no expert in Access but can trudge my way through it.... though starting my own little database project today I would probably try DB2 Express C (for community) I think that IBM allows one to download for personal use or did a few months ago. Part of my work is being a part time z/OS DB2 DBA (z/OS is IBM mainframe operating system aka Big Iron) so even monkeying around on another platform would only help career wise as computer wise I'm a mainframe dinosaur. Mainframe programming and / or DBA jobs aren't as plentiful as they used to be but there's a lot more mainframe processing going on than people realize doing the real grunt work behind web based front ends.

There's so much music I'd like to get but I just don't have the fund$ or time. Decided to start looking for abandoned Klipsch speakers at thrift stores and the like as my budget there is non-existent the last few months and naturally started looking at CDs and then LPs and stumbled accross some in very good shape for such things. A few more ticks and pops than most of my LPs but appear pretty clean and very listenable.

Some artists I wanted to buy albums in high school, graduating in 1980, have ony recently purchased some of there work on CD, or used vinyl in the case of the Otis Redding LP. Tight budget back then too so LP collection has a lot of cut outs and a little bit pop, rock, jazz, classical, folk, etc but very little country or opera. My CD collection has kind of been built the same way. Some really big holes in the music library that I need to fill while it's still available.

Most of those SOUL MUSIC Artists have not been re-issued, and most of the master tapes aren't that good from back then. The Record Companies are missing out on a un-tapped market of consumers who would like more product from that period of time. The STAX label would be my first choice, Booker T and the MG's, the house band, funny, Steve Cropper, and Duck Dunn still pop-up all over the place, Otis, Sam and Dave, Miss Franklin, Wilson Pickett, oh my, what a line-up. I will stop now, I could go on forever about Soul Music, but I won't ....................

Depressing news OB. Amazon.com has a CD version of The Dock Of The Bay that I have but it was released shortly after his death according to one of the reviewers. From the notes on the back of the album it didn't sound like an original album as it mentioned Otis' goals and the like. Claims that the song "The Dock Of The Bay" was recorded on December 7, 1967, 3 days before the plane crash that tragically took his life and 4 members of his touring band the Bar-Kays http://www.amazon.com/Dock-Bay-Otis-Redding/dp/B000002IH5/ref=pd_bbs_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1212093345&sr=8-7

Now, had I scored a STAX recording released while he was alive in the condition of this LP, that would've been a score. Anyway, I like it. Another awesome artist who left us way too young....