Just got a HK 930 - needs work

It primarily plays out of one channel - probably something like 90% out of the left and 10% out of the right. It has some other issues as well - the guy I got it from hooked it up to his old speakers and it made the 6" drivers move in and out about 1" slowly while making a low pitch no matter what source was selected... I don't really want to plug it into any of my speakers yet as I'm afraid of what it might do to them!

I know it needs a big cleaning (as does my 730) - so any advice on how to go about that process would be much appreciated. Beyond that I know it is in need of some type of service - anyone have suggestions for a good store to get it looked at / repaired at?

Thanks much!

I know it needs a big cleaning (as does my 730) - so any advice on how to go about that process would be much appreciated.

Well you are in luck I just cleaned my 730 last week. Here is what I purchased, http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=341-200, but just use a little and DO NOT spray the tuner wheel just the knobs and move them then let the receiver set for a few hours. The only problem that I did have was you have to remove the front glass also in order to get a good shot at all the knobs.

As far as repair places you should look for a local TV repair place and call to see if they can do it.

James

is this anything your average joe can do? I have a soldering iron and a steady hand... if so - would anyone be willing to step me through this process?

Also any ideas on how much $$ we're talking about here?

Thanks - I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and ideas here =)

Out of habit, I usually save any technical info when Dennis posts it. The following was from another thread on the HK receivers, almost a year and a half ago. (This may be for the 430, though, but that's why I post the pdf of the tech manual)

When this amp was new, electrolytic values were -10%, +100%

Just make sure the new ones fit, you may need to go higher in voltage (that's fine) and
don't go higher than X2 of the original value in µF.

Unit pops? C405

Gain is low/no bass? C408 (most likely), or C402

Scratchy volume control (on turn-on, OK after a few minutes)? C504 or C712

Hum (one channel)? C6, 7 or C8, 9

Hum (both channels, varies with volume)? C4, 15

Hum (tuner)? C3,4

Best bet?

Like roaches, you got to get 'em all (the smaller caps are
about $0.10 each in 25 lot from Mouser).

Given the popularity of this unit, it makes sense to
do a group buy and make up a kit of all values required.

A quick comparison to the schematic will let you know. In any case, the cost isn't high at all.

I have an old HK 430 that sounds great on my K Horns. Have never touched it and since I got it at a good price a few years ago on Ebay it probbly never has been re-capped. Does anyone have an idea just how much audible difference re-caping typically makes?

Thanks,

Rod

Thanks for that reply Marvel.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with something like this. would anyone be willing to step me through replacing these? I'm also not sure what those values mean or how to test for them...

[:$]

"Would you be interested in refreshing a 930,djk?"

Sorry, not at this time, but thanks for thinking of me.

" I'm also not sure what those values mean or how to test for them... "

They can't be properly tested without removing them, and they are so inexpensive it would be folly at this point not to replace them even if they were good.

"would anyone be willing to step me through replacing these?"

You remove them with de-soldering braid and a soldering iron with a 1/8" wide plated tip with about a 33W heating element. I use Chem-Wick lite in the 0.1" width. Soldering/de-soldering is as much of an art as it is a skill, and requires some instruction and practice to master. Look on the net for a soldering tutorial.

Thanks for the response djk. I'm not so much looking for a soldering tutorial as much as I'm wondering which of the capacitors need to be replaced (and where to get them too!)... There seem to be an awful lot of them in there =) Even more so in the 730, which I'm assuming should have them replaced as well?

Heck, while I'm at it, I may as well make a week of it and do my Heresy's too right? [:|]