ISF CALIBRATION?

InVeNtOr

This is a GREAT topic and I am glad it has come up here. This so much >smacks< of the debate about crossover upgrades. Some folks you can't convince of anything, until they see or hear it themselves. I am not saying this is wrong, what I am saying is that most folks just shun the idea that something can be better than it already is; it does not make any sense (and/or, they just won't spend the scratch).

...and no, this is not directed at anybody in particular either. I know what ISF cal did for my own TV. It was WELL worth the money. Manufacturers build to a spec that does not match those of ISF standards, because their budgets don't fit the model. Nobody makes a "perfect" product, which is many folks strive for improvement....like those folks here.

Chris

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answers to all of your questions and lots of good info can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=139

I bought a Spyder, Calman software, and burned a calibration disk (GetGray) all for about $200. I'm certainly not an ISF technician, but I was able toget my 50" Sony LCD darn close to 6,500K, improved the gamma, etc. and make all sorts of graphs of color temp, etc. to show my friends too.[;)]

Now I have the equipment needed to calibrate my friends sets and any new sets I may purchase in the near future (yes, I'm looking for another HD set for the family room. My wife is NOT happy about it! [6])

From what I've seen, many of the new sets have the main settings you need to calibrate your set (RGB Gain and Bias) in the regular "User Menu" now. No more need to go into the Service Menu and risk messing things up.

If a manufacturer does not build a set to ISF standards how then can an ISF alignment be accomplished to align a set perfectly when the set is not capable of a perfect alignment?

JJK

Most manufacturers don't even have an ISF certification. A certification doesn't mean a whole lot to begin with. 9x's out of 10 they aren't in spec with what the calibration will show to begin with. However, all modern televisions/projectors do have the ability to be calibrated to ISF standards.