Will these woofers work in Khorns?

Not nearly as well as a K-33. These are 8 ohm speakers. so they will not match up well with any stock Khorn crossover. Also the Qts is too low (should be around .4 -.5) and the resonant frequency is too high (should be lower than 30 Hz.) Here is a website that has K-33 specs:

http://www.volvotreter.de/khorn.htm

Almost any 15" driver will work and make sounds, but not any old driver will give best results. BEC has replacements that are very,very close, if not exact.

I like the SPL.

Don't like the lower end frequency response.

If they make 4 ohm versions, I'd consider using them in LaScala's.

The charts are great, not much of a difference between the two really.

Doesn't look like much difference, but they both lose 5-6 Hz on the low end compared with the Klipsch woofer. That's actually a lot.

I wonder how the Crites cast-frame woofers would look overlayed on that chart? 

If you can post the Thiele/Small parameters, I can run it through Hornresp.

Greg

Here's what Bob gave me

CW1526C cast frame.

FS is 26.3, Re is 3.36, VAS is 506.3 Liters, BL is 12.49, QM is 9.93, QE is 0.27, QT is 0.26. Sensitivity is 97 db. Coil is 1 mH.

Pmax is 150 watts. Xmax is 7.15 mm, MMS is 75.5 grams, Cms is 0.486 mm/N

Greg

Perhaps you could post the input parameters page you are using in Hornresp?

Sure. The dimensions represent my best estimates, based upon some old Speakerlab K plans that I have. While there is some debate as to the dimensional accuracy of these plans, for the Hornresp parameters they are probably more accurate than my ability to extract the data from them. Also, since all four woofers are being compared in the same context, at least the relative differences between them should be accurate.

post-22723-1381937459578_thumb.png

Edgar,

Trying to understand the Graph. IF I am reading it correctly , up to 110db both speakers are almost the same...........and who listens at over 110db when the difference, distorstion gets really wide??????????? So either speaker, really would do the job............?

Not quite. The graph shows each woofer's output for a 2.83V input. So the CW1526C plays a few dB louder than the K33E overall, but its frequency response in the horn is very similar to the K33E. If you look at the other graphs posted earlier, you'll see that those woofers are a little louder above 400 Hz or so than the K33E, but that their bass responses drop-off at a higher frequency ... maybe 46-47 Hz vs. 41-42 Hz for the K33E. Since low bass response is what we're trying to get out of the KHorn, this difference is significant.

Greg

Yes, I see that quicker drop off, but it's not what I heard with those woofers in the Russian Khorns.

Could you plot the graph with the CW1526C and the PD1550?

What would putting an 8ohm driver in the Khorn do to the sound? It wouldn't affect the crossover points at all would it? The bass bins naturally roll off at 350 or so anyway and I don't think the woofer would affect the midrange circuitry in the crossover. It would have to simply be a volume difference, but which way?

Greg

" It wouldn't affect the crossover points at all would it?"

in an AA type network, because of duplexing nature of crossover networks, it would actually shift

if you run numbers through a crossover calculator using the correct impedance, then re-run them using 8 ohms for the woofer, you'll get an approximate idea of the shift.

Yes, I see that quicker drop off, but it's not what I heard with those woofers in the Russian Khorns. 

When theory and reality disagree, I'd go with reality.

Could you plot the graph with the CW1526C and the PD1550? 

CW1526 in black, PD1550 in gray.

post-22723-1381937460532_thumb.png

Edgar,

What Greg sent you earlier was the specs on the CW1526C (Cast Frame) woofer. Here are the numbers for the CW1526 (Stamped Frame) woofer.

Bob Crites

CW1526 stamped frame

FS is 26.3, Re is 3.40, VAS is 437.2 liters, BL is 11.63 Tm, QM is 9.19, QE is 0.36, QT is 0.35. Sensitivity is 95.3 db. Coil is 1 mH.

Pmax is 150 watts, Xmax is 7.15 mm, MMS is 87.5 grams, Cms is 0.420 mm/N

What Greg sent you earlier was the specs on the CW1526C (Cast Frame) woofer.  Here are the numbers for the CW1526 (Stamped Frame) woofer.

CW1526 (stamped) in black, CW1526C (cast) in gray.

post-22723-1381937460591_thumb.png