Chorus II Broken Terminal

Flason

You would have to remove the input terminal cup then remove the crossover circuit board from the back of the input terminal cup. That will give you access to remove and replace the terminals.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819374738302_thumb.jpg

Yes, I think you will have to unsolder the wires from the terminals and solder them back on. Been awhile since I had a Chorus II crossover apart so I can't remember what the inside part of those terminals looks like. You may be able to find some at Radio Shack that will work. Probably best to take the terminal with you to try to get something that matches.

Bob

Damn near same thing happened to one cornwall. After i unsoldered, and searched and search for replacements, i ordered new ones from klipsch. they are fatter.... so i had to drill out the holes on the crossover but it wasnt to bad. looks better than radio shack or something and they are klipsch products.

So the son got a little over zealous while vacuuming the floors this weekend. He broke the speaker terminals after pushing my Chorus II's against the wall.

So whats the punishment for that, I know my dogs would get a hell of a beating if they broke a speaker.

My Chorus II's have wires going from the binding posts to the crossover circuit board. You will have to solder a wire onto the binding post. Just make a good mechanical connection first (wrap the wire around the post) and hit it with the iron. Feed in some solder and take the iron off when it flows. On bigger stuff like this it sometimes helps to have a good size iron so you can heat it quickly enough that the heat doesn't have time to migrate elsewhere and melt things.

A Forte I purchased recently had a binding post broken off. Klipsch wanted too much for a replacement (about 6 times what I ended up paying) and it wasn't certain that it would be exactly the same as the originals. I replaced all four with some decent gold ones from Parts Express:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=091-1150

However, I had to modify things a bit to get them to fit. On my Fortes the end of the binding post goes up though the crossover PC board and a piece of bus wire is soldered on on the top of the PC board. The replacement posts did not protrude though the plate as the originals so I had to sand the outside oval plastic plate to thin it enough that the post would go though the PC board so that I could solder the wire on the top to it. In hindsight I realize I could have just run a wires from the posts up through the hole the original or to the holes the bus wire goes in) to the PC board like the Chorus. Would have been a lot easier, those plastic plates are made of some incredibly hard plastic. But they would have stuck out the back of the speaker a little bit more. That's the only thing I don't like about the new ones - they are not flush with the rear of the speaker. They stick out just a bit and would be subject to damage during transport. I may have to go back and fix that at some point.

Parts Express has dimensioned drawings of some of their binding posts that you can download, kind of nice.

I'm putting some of their speaker grills over the passives on both the Fortes and Chorus II's:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=260-375

I'm worried that one of our cats will use one as a scratching post and I've seen quite a few damaged ones for sale with the explanation "One of the dust caps is pushed in but it doesn't affect the sound". But those grills don't fit well with the supplied hardware. Especially on the Fortes which have the passives recessed a bit. On the Chorus they are pretty much flush but the clamps still don't hold them tight enough.

Monoprice.com is worth a look for the binding posts, they seem to have very good prices.

Regards

I had a pair of Quartets sitting around not attached to anything so I canabilized them and got the Chorus back up and working. Now I will try Rat Shak for the terminals and see what they have in stock. The Chorus were an easy fix, especially when you have the right parts. No soldering required! I hope the Quartets are that easy.