SACD (Super Audio CD) "no disc" error

artto

My Shanling seems to be developing a "no disc" error problem. It shows up very inconsistantly, more so on some discs than others. A recent purchase, Roger Water's opera Ca Ira hardly ever boots up. Even a recent CD doesn't want to play. Sometimes, turning the player off and then back on helps, but not always. Other times simply putting on another SACD clears it up. But when I put Ca Ira back it seems to screw the player up again and nothing plays until I turn the player off and reboot.

I read that there are calibration discs (I found some from Phillips - $1500 - yikes) but I'm afraid I wouldn't know what to do with them.

Does anyone have any experience solving this "no disc" error or know what is causing it to increasingly become a problem?

Make sure the CDP is sitting completely level on a solid surface. Any twisting of the chassis can bind the carriage.

Make sure it's clean inside. Lenses can be obstructed by dust or other minor objects. (cat hair is a killer). Some may not show when the carriage is in the play position. Also check when the carriage is open for foreign objects.

Unplug player for a few minutes to "reset" microprocessors.

These are basic but important.

Harry

• Moderators

" Check if there is dust on the lens."

That was my problem about a week ago, different player but same problem, tried blowing it out and it worked, so I guess it was dust.

Make sure the CDP is sitting completely level on a solid surface. Any twisting of the chassis can bind the carriage.

Harry

Now this I find interesting. I had moved everything around to different shelves to make some equipment changes. The Shanling chassis seems pretty strong and rigid, but, I haven't gone thru the tweaking yet ~ leveling and setting the fifth (movable) foot. It was level before I moved it and everything was working fine except for the occassional CD-R. It's a top-load unit so the optical pickup is easy to get to. I've brushed it off but I think I'll also try some eyeglass lens cleaner on it. Shanling has gotten back to me & they think the optical pickup needs to be replaced. GRRR - another 3+ month repair. I just got the McIntosh back after seven months.

• Moderators

so I guess it was dust.

Or perhaps the blast of hot air? Angel

I have no shortage of hot air ask the wife !

I really should dust up there more often, looks like a dust farm ! All electronics are on the second shelf from the top on an entertainment center I built that goes over a 65" wide screen TV, it's kind of high. I even have to use a ladder to clean up there, the top shelf has a Forte ll on it which is high enough to almost touch the ceiling, it really needs to be cleaned behind the Forte. Sounds like a project for me. [:(]

Caution should be used on the lens cleaner. It has to be very mild and non residue on the lens.

IF and WHEN I have the need to clean the lens I use "GC ISOBATH". It's a mild alcohol cleaner that leaves no residue. I also use a no particle lens cloth of the type used on soft projector lenses.

Clean at least twice. Let each cleaning have time to completely dry before cleaning again. Chances are it won't need cleaning unless subjected to smoke, spray silicones, or furniture polish.

Best of luck,

Harry

• 2 years later...