Blu Ray players

musiclover

Another great feature is the ability to update the profile via firmware upgrades:

March 24, 2008: Sony released the 2.20 firmware update for the PlayStation 3 which is compliant with Blu-ray Disc Profile 2.0, making it the first in the market to have it.

I don't think there are many players that will be profile upgradable via software only. I believe Profile 1.1 requires additional hardware to decode and display a second audio/video trackset, and Profile 2.0 requires at least an ethernet connector. The PS3 was designed for the longhaul, so the hardware was designed in before the SW became available. Most, if not all other 1.0 and 1.1 players don't have the extra hardware to get to the next step. This is my basic understanding and I could be misinformed, but I don't think I am.

No, you have it right. But this probably came more of blind luck as Sony thought of the PS3 as first a gaming machine and second a BD player. With the latter not being the revenue generator/reason people buy the PS3. But, now that the BR/HD war is over the PS3 was set up with the right specs as a gaming machine to basically entrench itself as the only player that is future proofed for virtually any new BD profile that comes up. This is why they hit a homerun with this machine.

As what some have said this machine isn't perfect but you have really nit pick to find things you don't like. Here are some (including one listed above):

• No display on PS3. Unable to view track information when playing cd's.
  • Loud fan. Only kicks on when it hits a certain temp range (typically most components are in the 90 degree range.) Personally I've never heard the fan come on and I house mine in a component low boy with a egg fryer aka the Onkyo 875 Receiver.
  • No IR feature. This is why I think Sony didn't think of the advantages of this as a BD player for HT use. Most people, me for one, have everything in IR (lights, curtains, receiver, cable, etc.) however the PS3 comes in the blue tooth flaver. This is a minor annoyance as there are two excellent companies that offer an IR 2 BT solution allowing you to use your programmable remotes for everything.

I would have put the types of audio it outputs (ie PCM linear, Bitstream, etc) however I'm not all that familiar with the full limitations yet of the types. For me it outputs exactly what I need for movies and I allow my Onkyo to decode the audio.

As what some have said this machine isn't perfect but you have really nit pick to find things you don't like. Here are some (including one listed above):

• No display on PS3. Unable to view track information when playing cd's.
  • Loud fan. Only kicks on when it hits a certain temp range (typically most components are in the 90 degree range.) Personally I've never heard the fan come on and I house mine in a component low boy with a egg fryer aka the Onkyo 875 Receiver.
  • No IR feature. This is why I think Sony didn't think of the advantages of this as a BD player for HT use. Most people, me for one, have everything in IR (lights, curtains, receiver, cable, etc.) however the PS3 comes in the blue tooth flaver. This is a minor annoyance as there are two excellent companies that offer an IR 2 BT solution allowing you to use your programmable remotes for everything.

I would add to that list no 5.1 analog outputs.

to that list no 5.1 analog outputs.

Which goes to the statement that Sony never thought this fully as an HT solution. Gaming was on the mind and BD was icing on the cake.

But then with this I also have to ask...is not having 5.1 analog outputs really a negative? Wouldn't you rather use the HDMI to a Receiver solution? Especially if audio is one of your main uses of the PS3.

Sony definately thought of this as going in people's home theaters. Why encourage publishers to offer 7.1 sound for games otherwise? The PS3 is my only transport but it is my main video transport. Lack of 5.1 or 7.1 analog out is a negative for many people with investments in preprocessors/receivers without HDMI. I just upgraded my pre/pro.

But then with this I also have to ask...is not having 5.1 analog outputs really a negative? Wouldn't you rather use the HDMI to a Receiver solution? Especially if audio is one of your main uses of the PS3.

I am of the school that I want as few video connections as possible. So I perfer to run my HDMI (video) direct to my monitor or PJ. Then send the sound direct to the sound processor (pre-amp)

"h00kemh0rns"!

You call the 3 "cons" you listed "nitpicking"? We are talking CD playback aren't we. Listening to music is a completely different indulgence than listening to a movie soundtrack. I really do think the OP inquiry was in regards to critical listening. "Purists" would never use a gaming system for critical listening. Maybe casual listening, but not critical listening. Maybe, I'm making to much of this, but I really can't see anyone who is serious about music listening, allowing a PS3 to be it's transport/DAC for music playback. I just can't see it. And I just want you to know that I do think the PS3 is a remarkable product..... for blu ray and gaming and even media center duties!

as for the SD playback with the PS3, it looks just fine on my 32" Toshiba Regza, i know its not a super baller-tastic 104" plasma or what some of you guys have but unless you are sitting 1' from the screen i doubt you'll notice a difference in video quality... either way you could always just buy an XBOX360 and use it for DVD playback and if you wanted to you could grab an HD-DVD player for the 360 and you'd have all formats covered.... and if you get the XBOX360 elite then you'll have HDMI output for everything...

PS3 does everything great, even the guy who just posted up his Klipschorn Jubilee setup had a PS3 as his BluRay player

I have the Sony BDP-S500:

Dolby® TrueHD, dts®-HD Bitstream out over HDMI™

The future of surround sound arrives with Blu-ray Disc technology. With the BDP-S500, you can enjoy incredible new audio codecs from both Dolby Laboratories and Digital Theater Systems (dts). Simply by connecting your Blu-ray Disc player to the HDMI connection on your A/V Receiver, the BDP-S500 can either output or internally decode Dolby TrueHD & dts-HD.-

It plays everything except MP3 discs that I burn. Other than that it plays everything I have tried on it. On a side note, I guess I need to buy a new reciever that can read TrueHD and dts-HD? My HK 325 is old school these days.