Advice from Klipsch owners, please

bluemando

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Audition?

I am in Amherst, New Hampshire. It is probablay to far to travel with current gas prices but if you find yourself in my area come listen.

I have a pair of cornwalls, heresys and quartets. We can hook up a vintage 70 watt receiver, a newer 35 watt tube integrated amp or a higher power tube pre amp/solid state amp combo. A couple of turntables, a music server and a decent cd transport are available for sources. You can also audition a vandersteen 2ce/2w combo, psb 5t, or 4 stacked large vintage advents. If you decide to make the trip you could bring your own source and amp stuff.

My wife would like me sell all of them. so we can talk if you really like any of them. The cornwalls and the vandersteen set up would be a little out of out of your price range.

Audition?

I am in Amherst, New Hampshire.  It is probablay to far to travel with current gas prices but if you find yourself in my area come listen.

I have a pair of cornwalls, heresys and quartets.  We can hook up a vintage 70 watt receiver, a newer 35 watt tube integrated amp or a higher power tube pre amp/solid state amp combo.  A couple of turntables, a music server and a decent cd transport are available for sources. You can also audition a vandersteen 2ce/2w combo, psb 5t, or 4 stacked large vintage advents.  If you decide to make the trip you could bring your own source and amp stuff. 

My wife would like me sell all of them. so we can talk if you really like any of them.  The cornwalls and the vandersteen set up would be a little out of out of your price range. 

Thanks for the audition-offer Pete. I checked my Rand McNally Tripmaker software and it indicates that "your" Amherst is 116 miles from "my" Amherst. I don't think I'll be making that trip, but (who knows) maybe some day I will get out that way. I'll let you know if that ever happens and find out if the offer is still open. My local B&M is selling a set of Vandersteen 2c's for $500. I gave them a listen along side of a B&W 603s floor speakers (a demo set f/$700). I liked the Vandy's on some parts of discs I listened to and the B&W's on other parts. So you might say they are evenly matched. Given that the Vandy's are $200 cheaper, that would be my choice. One The socks are worn and I gather from the Vandersteen site that they don't sell them... I think they sell the fabric though, and of course there are places to buy fabric. It doesn't look to me like it wouldn't be an easy task for someone who isn't handy (me!) For one thing it looks like the tops and (I presume) the bottoms are *glued* and would have to be pried off. If you know something I don't regarding this, let me know.

Thanks again!

116 miles....one day you'll look back and kick yourself..........I drove about 120 to hear my first set of k-horns and fell in love with the whole heritage line......... drove 16 hrs round trip to go get me a pair.....

not trying the hard sell but doubtful that you will ever find such a close knit community that will go out of it's way to help with any problem that would ever develop. Plus there are a plethora of aftermarket and original parts readily available.......furthermore, where would you ever find crazies that could turn your Cornwalls into a mutant beast the "Cornscalla".......[;)]

I have not been inside my vandersteens. They were sealed in new factory boxes from refurbish when I got them. They appear to be a pressure fit on the bottom with four dowels. See the vandersteen instructions on opening them http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Pdffiles/RepairIns.pdf. It does not sound to difficult. Give them a call if you get stuck. The two times I have called with questions I was connected to Richard Vandersteen and he was extremely helpful.

The 2w sub was the key to these speakers for me. I have acoustic issues in my main room that do not all them to sound their best. I set them up in the inlaw apartment when the inlaws go south. I look forward to setting them up each fall :-) They are very accurate. They point out bad recordings and are not overly forgiving. Small changes in placement, upright angle and toe in can have tremendous impacts. Once they are dialed in they are in a class with speakers that cost much more. They require more power to drive than the Klipsch.

They are a different sound than Klipsch. The Klipsch have a more listenable quality across all recordings. Klipsch are much more forgiving to my rooms acoustical issues. They have a snap that is very engaging in comparison.

I have limited experience, but I would own two sets of main speakers when I hit the lottery. One set would be a set of vandersteen 5a and a set of khorns.

Well that would be 232 miles round trip on bicycle. I sold my van when I moved from Fl to MA ---a story that I'll not get into-- and never bothered ro buy another vehicle. I live in what is termed "the 5 college area" and it's "bicyle friendly" (bike-paths all over the place, including from town to town) and "everything" is easily accessible and available.... except Klipsch speakers ;o) Sure I could (probably) get someone to drive me NH, but that makes me uncomfortable..... so I'll pass, unless I know someone who is making the trip for their own reasons.

Thanks

Everybody has their own agendas and priorities, but I would counsel that spending money toward a car would likely turn out to be a better thing. But then, I live in Texas, and bikes and public transportation are not generally sufficient modes of transportation here. As an employer (in Houston), I would probably chunk a good resume if the applicant did not have a vehicle. I have not lived in or visited the northeast, and I am sure I will hear about the virtues of their set-up, but seriously, how versatile can you be without a car there? Duke, OB?

I would think the probability is much greater that an opportunity will come when you tell yourself "Dang, I sure need a car." Certainly much greater upside than speakers.

I'm fond of Shastokvich, for sure.... ever since I first heard his 5th symphony, which was being played as background music in the library of Miami Dade Community College. That was a long time ago. Sibelius was another composer I became familar with at that time. I didn't even have a stereo system! I'd "sign" for a phonograph from the audio departement and listen to records in a listening room or go to Hialeah Public Library --Hialeah is a part of Metropolitan Miami-- and listen to records that I checked out and played on their turntables (using earphone, of course). My major, btw, was music.

Don't have to be versatile. My Alma Mater (UMASS, which I attended after MDJC and Jacksonville U in Fl) is blocks away from where I live and I worked near campus. Now I'm retired. Life is good ;o) Btw, I went to grade school and two years of highschool in El Paso Texas.

Well that would be 232 miles round trip on bicycle. I sold my van when I moved from Fl to MA ---a story that I'll not get into-- and never bothered ro buy another vehicle. I live in what is termed "the 5 college area" and it's "bicyle friendly" (bike-paths all over the place, including from town to town) and "everything" is easily accessible and available.... except Klipsch speakers ;o) Sure I could (probably) get someone to drive me NH, but that makes me uncomfortable..... so I'll pass, unless I know someone who is making the trip for their own reasons.

Thanks

Well seeing you haul a couple of cornwalls on a bike would be a sight......

I was car-less for over ten years when I lived in New york.....If I couldn't walk to it or take mass trans I wasn't going........I miss those days...i certainly was a lot healthier for all the walking/biking I did.....I'm in South Fl. burbs now and walking isn't even an option.

Well all good things come in time...just keep your eyes open locally and hope they will deliver!

I'm in limbo right now, holding off on making any decision at this time.... The last thing I want to be is impulsive. My KEF's keep me happy for most music played in the living room, just not complex large symphonic fare, such as Mahler. But it should be noted (about Mahler) is that much of what comprises his symphonies is chamber-music-like in texture, which my KEF's and Sansui reproduce nicely. It's only on occasion that "raw power" comes into play, so again, I can get by with my KEF speakers. The British really do make nice speakers. I owned a pair of Missions in the 80's (powered by my NAD 7140, which I still own) and they served me well.

In my bedroom I have my Maggies, and they are a joy. Bottom line is that I don't feel like I have to rush into anything. I'm simply going to keep and eye out for a good deal. Having said all that, I probably would have purchased the Vandy's if the screen would have been in good condition. I must admit, though, I'm intrigued with klipsch at this point in time.

fenderbender, I think we could be friends in the real-world ;) Noticing what you chose for an avatar, can I presume that you own a bulldog(s) I been considering getting one.... Don't know why, but I like the look of those (ahem) "ugly" pooches.

fenderbender, I think we could be friends in the real-world ;) Noticing what you chose for an avatar, can I presume that you own a bulldog(s) I been considering getting one.... Don't know why, but I like the look of those (ahem) "ugly" pooches.

Honored....

Bulldogs are wonderful companion dogs...I have three, and they are all show dogs but that doesn't get to their heads.

They are very obedient and willing to please... house trained in about three days and never an accident if you are vigilant for the first 4-6 months. they live to be loved and to eat! They mostly sleep all day and are vert happy with a Two ten minute walks a day....They get quick spurts of energy but settle in for a nap at your feet after about 15 minutes of playing.

They are not sporting or work dogs...they over-heat in the summer and can die after just a short time in the hot sun....they cannot run to far or play fetch for any long stretches.

A highly specialized breed and that comes with a lot of problems if you are not carful in choosing a breeder ...I work with local bulldog rescue and it's a heartache. There cute smooshy faces means that they have a pallet that goes down into their throat, closing off the airway....the "vacuum created upon exhaling forcefully causes the "sackuels" to invert and further clog off the trachea, that is small to begin with........Good breeders will breed these traits out of their bloodlines.

Skin problems can be mild to bad requiring daily medication...their nose rope and tail pocket need to be cleaned daily.

Cherry Eye and entropion eyelids require corrective surgery.

the bulk of these dogs can cause them to "blow out " the shoulder, knee, and hip joints so they should never jump down off the bed or the couch.

Don't mean to scare you but this is what i see from bad breeders who just care about making money.....good breeders do it because of the love for the breed and to try and improve bloodlines.

good Bulldogs almost never have problems....So PLEASE if you want one..contact me first and I will find you a good local breeder through our network or adopting a rescue dog is another great option.

My two ******* come into heat in August and i will breed them then...but they are both pointed and well on the way to championship and i will have them studded to one of the top dogs in the country....So with luck they will get top dollar.......I need to recoup at least a little of what they cost me.

Sorry for the long speech....let me know if you have any other Bulldog related questions.

Bulldogs are wonderful companion dogs...I have three, and they are all show dogs but that doesn't get to their heads. Sorry for the long speech....let me know if you have any other Bulldog related questions.

No apology necessary at all, "Bender" (okay, I confess, I watch Futurama once in awhile :) Anyway, I had no idea that bull dogs --with their "cute smooshy faces"-- (love your description!) are so high maintenance. The dogs, cats, and goats that I owned pretty much roamed-free and came home for supper and an occasional tick check. I lived on 10 acres in Fl... which was surrounded by hundreds of other acres, belonging to people who bought for investment, to be sold when the time was "right." I can tell that caring properly for you your dogs is a labor of love. For me it would be a chore, so I won't be buying a cute "smooshy faced" bull dog... darn! Sorry, I got off-topic... but I was interested and can only hope that participants here have cut me some slack .

Thanks "blue" (mando type)

seriously, how versatile can you be without a car there?

Where I am I have to have a car ............ I would have to sell and move intown without a car ........ I don't entertain those thoughts right now ! Can't imagine life up here without a car, but not owning one would save big bucks now .............. but, I'd lose my freedom !!!