Advice from Klipsch owners, please

bluemando

Hi all. I have been considering Klipsch speakers since the 1980's but alway shyed away as I wasn't sure that they would do well with classical music. Anyway, the time has come that, once again, I'm considering this well established line of speakers. They've been around for a long time, so I suspect that Klipch is doing "something" very well!. I want to replace a pair of KEF Q15 bookshelf speakers that are located in 15x14 living room. That's a somewhat small for a living area. My KEF's are hooked up to a 40 year old Sansui, 20 wpc integrated amp. They work pretty well reproducing the sound of small ensembles and chamber music, but fail when it comes to reproducing large orchestra fare. So, I'd like to get some recommendations for Klipsch floorstanding speakers that 1) will extend my bass down

to about 38hz (or perhaps a bit less) 2) will work well with a low powered amp 3) have a wood veener finish (no vinyl) and 4) cost < $700 .

The cost isn't arbitrary. I have a pair of new MMG's (magies) that only set me back $630 (delivered, with a 60 day try out!) I figure that other spea < $700 .

The cost isn't arbitrary. I have a pair of new MMG's (magies) that only set me back $630 (delivered, with a 60 day try out!) I figure that other speaker companies should be able to compete at a similar price point. Nevertheless, I suspect my reference is a a tall order to compete with, and that I'll have to go the used-route. I've been keeping and eye out on ebay and at Audiogon and noticed that the older "floorstading models" are NOT tower speakers and that, for example, the KG4's (SPL 91dB - impedance 4 ohms) are only 27 1/2"s high. Isn't that a rather low height, as the horn would be firing at less than ear level? I don't know how significant the 4 ohm impedence with regards to my amp. (I no longer have the manual) Initially the Sansui powered 8 ohm speakers; presently they are connected to my KEF's (6 ohm, 91 SPL) w/o any issues.ker companies should be able to compete at a similar price point. Nevertheless, I suspect my reference is a a tall order to compete with, and that I'll have to go the used-route. I've been keeping and eye out on ebay and at Audiogon and noticed that the older "floorstading models" are NOT tower speakers and that, for example, the KG4's (SPL 91dB - impedance 4 ohms) are only 27 1/2"s high. Isn't that a rather low height, as the horn would be firing at less than ear level? I don't know how significant the 4 ohm impedence with regards to my amp. (I no longer have the manual) Initially the Sansui powered 8 ohm speakers; presently they are connected to my KEF's (6 ohm, 91 SPL) w/o any issues.

Thanks for whatever input I may get!

jcc

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, welcome to the forum. Klipsch are a wonderful speaker for classical music as many members will testify. If I could ask a few specifics, what model amp is the Sansui? And about how much are you looking to spend? Many Klipsch speakers can be found on craigslist, eBay and sometimes Audiogon. The kg4s that I use are regularly seen for about $250 in very fine condition and are of real wood veneer. The kg4s do not employ a horn loaded mid range like the Heresy (a bit bass shy for your use), or Quartets, Fortes, etc. These are models that are considered three way designs of their Heritage line. Your Sansui may be tubes or solid state, but either way should be a very good match for most Klipsch speakers. I think you'll find the dynamics and size you wish for when reproducing a large orchestra. Good luck and do lots of searches on this forum, you'll find plenty of helpful advise and some very nice people.

What is your budget??? and do you like the sound of horn loaded speakers?? They are very accurate and detailed making good recordings sound amazing and bad recordings sound just like they were recorded. If there is hiss and "white noise" in the recording you will notice it.

I love LOVE the heritage series and they are a bargain used....If you could budget La scalas or even better Klipschorns you will be amazed !!!! 3 watts will bring down the house on those.... Cornwalls and Heresies are very nice also.....I have a 25 year old pair of heresies that have new Caps running off a 30 year old Sansui int. that sounds amazing in my 12x10 office. My Klipschorns put a smile on my face every time!!!!

once you start on horns you 'll get hooked.

Hi all. I have been considering Klipsch speakers since the 1980's but alway shyed away as I wasn't sure that they would do well with classical music. Anyway, the time has come that, once again, I'm considering this well established line of speakers. They've been around for a long time, so I suspect that Klipch is doing "something" very well!. I want to replace a pair of KEF Q15 bookshelf speakers that are located in 15x14 living room. That's a somewhat small for a living area. My KEF's are hooked up to a 40 year old Sansui, 20 wpc integrated amp. They work pretty well reproducing the sound of small ensembles and chamber music, but fail when it comes to reproducing large orchestra fare. So, I'd like to get some recommendations for Klipsch floorstanding speakers that 1) will extend my bass down to about 38hz (or perhaps a bit less) 2) will work well with a low powered amp 3) have a wood veener finish (no vinyl) and 4) cost

Welcome Blue,

Dude, when Paul Klipsch designed and voiced the Klipschorn, I don't think that he was listening to Audio-Slave or Rob Zombie.[;)] Khorns would be perfect for your musical taste, the old Sans amps and your sized room if you have corners. (IMHO)

Regards,

Terry

My budget was stated in my initial post, some of the text of which is missing. I used the edit feature and after resubmitting the post noticed that text was missing. I tried editing a 2nd time, but again the remainder of the text wouldn't show. Basically, I had said that my budget was < $700. I also noted that the old floorstanding models are not towers and that they generally come up short of 30" (the KG4's are 27 1/2" for instance) I was concerned that this low height, would have the horn firing below ear level. No one addressed this, so far. The Heritage and Heresies are very much in "the running" for me. My Sansui is the AU 555 and it's SS.

Thanks for your input!

jcc

Thanks for the welcome Jim. My Sansui is the AU-555. I bought in a Army PX while serving Uncle Sam in Germany. I have been checking craigslist, but the local stuff is disappointing, at best. I didn't know that the kg4s didn't employ a horn loaded mid range, maybe that explains why they are not as efficient as other Klipches? I'm encouraged that you and others here are convinced that Klipch will do justice to classical music.

Thanks

That's just too weird that the text won't show up.[:^)]

Are you wanting new or used? That will help point it the right direction. Mahler DOES sound great on my LaScalas, too. Big orchestral works come through very well due to the ability of horns to handle the dynamic range and power of the huge pieces.

Bruce

Exactly Jeff. Cost is an important factor. I already have two other systems (KEF w/ Sansui amp; Maggies with Cambridge Azur amp; Infinity bookshelf on stands w/ an old NAD receiver. So I'm having a hard time justifying getting yet another set of speakers. What's bugging the heck out of me is that my KEF's (bookshelf's on stands) at 91 db sensitivity (6 ohm) and a frequency response of 50 hz-20 khz just "lose it" when trying to reproduce large symphonic works. The KEF and Sansui amp are in my living room and are probably used more than any of the my systems. Each system has to stay in the room that they are in (I won't go in to specifics for that.... just trust me :o)

Thanks

bluemando

It looks lke you need to restate your budget.

If you really wasnt a solid 38 Hz, you need to look at Cornwalls (any version), Chorus or K-horns. La Scalas will go about as deep as your KEFs, but will not breakdown on complex recordings. The larger RF-series look to meet your spec and I was very pleased with the sound of RF-3s several years ago, but I don't know how low they will go..