Room Treatments are No Joke

SWL

I have some homemade absorber/reflector tubes. I noticed a big bass tightening effect on my quartets and vandersteens. I think this is because they have some rear firing passive/active drivers. There is a noticeable but lesser improvement with cornwalls, heresys and advents. There is also a an improvement to placing them in the back corners of the room.

They were built from large round pipe insulation with the covering removed. The seam of the tube is closed with construction adhesive. A circle of plywood is added with construction adhesive to the top and bottom to provide a stapling surface. Half the surface area of the tube gets wrapped in plastic the other half is left with the surface of the fiber glass. They are then covered in speaker cloth. I added unplayable records to cover the staples on the top. One set for a friend will get cherry tops and bottoms. With the half plastic cover you then can rotate them to adjust the absorption/reflection effect.

They did improve my friends high end proclaim speakers.

You remove all of it. It is a reinforced fire resistant composite paper. It is only attached loosely with a couple of stripes of adhesive. I used new plastic sheeting and staple it tight on half the tube. I got the idea from a site posted by someone who now uses the same product design for his sound consulting business' bass traps. I think the post predated his business. I cannot find it now. The insulation product is Knauf 2"x10"by36" fiberglass pipe insulation. I have two traps in process that I have put the plywood on but I have not added the plastic. I will post some pictures of the plastic installed after I do it. See beloe for a picture I saved of a lot of different tubes in someones recording studio.

I had such a problem with my square room at the time that I was thinking of splitting the tubes, mounting them on light boards and covering the walls with half round pillars. I later discovered that my video screen was a huge culprit so it never came to that.