Hi Res Handheld/Portable - finally!!

ben.

I'm not usually an "early adopter", but I've been waiting for something like the Korg MR1 to hit the market for a while now. A couple hundred dollar rebate brought it within the realm of sanity, so I just grabbed one here: http://www.musiciansbuy.com/Korg-MR1-1-Bit-Mobile-Recorder-w-FREE-Headphones-Adapter-Korg-MR-1-MR-1-MR1-MR-1-Korg-MR-1-MR1KIT.html

In a nutshell, it's got a 20GB hard drive and records and plays back DSD/SACD spec 1 bit, 2.8MHz files, all the way down through the various 24 and 16 bit PCM formats and further down to mp3. Balanced/unbalanced I/O and a mini USB connection for file transfer.

I wish it was an >80GB solid state 4-track with Firewire, but it'll be a few years before something like that'll cost less than a grand. I'm doing some location recording this weekend with ribbons and large tube condensers so I'll soon know how the mic pres are. It'll be sweet for better-than-CD portable music. It'll be nice to take vinyl transfers along and it's smaller than my first cell phone...

Of course, I'll be needing a big back up drive soon...

>I wish it was an >80GB solid state 4-track with Firewire, but it'll be a few years before something like that'll cost less than a grand. I'm doing some location recording this weekend with ribbons and large tube condensers so I'll soon know how the mic pres are.

Post a sample for us. I am a ribbon devotee as well. jtnfoley directed me to that Korg and it's a candidate for the organ crawl across Europe I hope to do in the next couple of years. I share your desire for 4 channels in such a package. As Jamaicaman say "Come soon now!"

Dave

Hey Dave, I'll do what I can to make some audio available. Do you have any way to play back any of the supported 1-bit files? I'm going to try to get some 1-bit material if I can make it work with the 20GB drive. It's a 3-day festival with lots of good music I'll be after.

I just bought a Sony PCM-D50 a few weeks ago and it's one of the best tools I've ever bought. The sound quality is stunning even at 44.1khz 16bit and it can record at 96khz 24bit quality . I've yet to hear it get overloaded even at high volume rock concerts and the condenser mics are surprisingly decent . Just a little bright on the top and a tad rolled off on the bottom.

Ben - that is awesome! love to get one for myself. It really won't be long before you can get one that is SS instead of the hard drive.

A friend of mine in our communications department bought the Zoom H2, mostly for doing interviews. It will record 4 channels 24bit/48Khz with the four built in mics. Higher rez in 2 channel. Uses SD cards. Line in is stereo only (drag), it's mostly plastic... but the audio quality is pretty darn good for $200. Mics sound rather decent. He started carrying it with him all the time, just in case he wants to pick up some sound files.

Bruce

Hey Dave, I'll do what I can to make some audio available. Do you have any way to play back any of the supported 1-bit files? I'm going to try to get some 1-bit material if I can make it work with the 20GB drive. It's a 3-day festival with lots of good music I'll be after.

Not unless I can burn it. I have a SACD player but have not looked into burning standards. OTOH, 1 bit transcodes without dithering so 16/44.1 would take up less space for these purposes. Granted, it won't be high res glory but I'll bet it will outshine yer average CD...especially with your better mikes.

Looking forward to it! Also plotting a way to get one for myself. I'm hoping it's mid year bonus coming up shortly...

Dave

I went to the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) this year and virtually everyone was showing new palm sized recorders with built in mikes. In addition to the H2, there is the H4 that is more flexible. Even Nagra has one now if I'm not mistaken. I have used them to do transcription recordings where you feed timecode to one channel and program audio to the other. Then email the file to a transcription service and before the producer gets home there is a file waiting for him/her to print out and use for editing. Radio reporters and audio bloggers are absolutely in love with them. The only problem is that the built-in mics record the handling noise from holding them. I have been studying them on and off but the marketplace is really getting crowded now with these. At NAB I suppose I saw at least 7 or 8 different brands and variations.