what about NAD?

Manuel Delaflor

Well, I have a special place in my little, useless heart for the original SET amp that broke it to the masses: The Cary Audio 300se. It was an amazing amp that has been surpased by others, but still has one of the most magical midranges of any amp I have heard.

I had a Cary SLA-70 for a little while and it was a classic little EL-34 amp that sounded damn good in the Signature version with the bigger outputs. It was tube rectified and a VERY simple circuit. You still see them used in the 7-800 range.

But to be honest, Cary's commercial amps dont have as good a quality transformers as some of the more specialty companies that dont pour thousands in four color ads for Stereophile. Indeed, something like the Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog is actually a far better amp quality-wise, with better parts, especially transformers. The original versions used the excellent MagneQuest DS-025 outputs (they now use Electraprint).

What people dont realize is these smaller companies put out products that are better made then gear from Cary...parts wise..and perhaps even circuit-wise, depending.

And if you have skill with a soldering iron, and do research on the net, you can actually BUILD AN AMPLIFIER at a fraction of the price that can not only COMPETE with the likes of CARY, but will ultimately be a better amp in almost all parameters.

Of course, the guarantee is harder validate...

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 01-31-2002 at 10:37 PM

I have Irish in me as well, for whatever that is worth. Kelly. Irish is right.

And we have something else in common now as I love wine as well (but stick to the good deals). Try to drink a few glasses every night...or is it I try NOT to drink a few classes every night? One way or another, I seem to be drinking a few fine glasses of Cabernet, Merlot, Shiraz, Pinot Noir... or my Mom's Sherry she left last time she was here.

Yes. You wonder how I get my system to sound so good? After three glasses of 98 Wolfblass Yellow Label Cabernet (just what I happened to have this eve), it ALL sounds quite nice. Even my mewling cat seems to be in tune with fine tone and proper pacing. She sounds a bit like a 300B amp...earlier, she had the distinct sound of a 1989 Harmon Kardon solid state receiver from Montgomery Ward.

See what a fine inexpensive Australian Wine can do?

Listening to Sonny Rollins with Coleman Hawkins at 1:25am. Sounds like a live club in the next room. The cat even understands.

kh

that was the ugly Fisher I was thinking of, mine had no cover and I seem to remember about 6 radio pre-sets, which were actually quite addicting, it was so much easier to punch a station button than play a record, then came the pair of rusty Dynaco ST 70s for $40 -

mobile, love your posts ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!