subwoofer choice

zmnamaz

hello, first post here.

I have been wanting to buy a subwoofer for my living room. I have a Krell 300i intregated amp with a pair of klipsch R-7's.

Will be for music and movies 50/50, my room is 14x26, hardwood floors, typical living room.

I am looking to spend around $800, give or take. Not sure how much subwoofer I need.

asking for some help in narrowing it down to a few options..........thanks in advance, Mike

I guess I am worried about overkill, or is it just a matter of buying the best sub that is in your price range. I am leaning towards somethig that would be better for music than movies. Been looking at the mfw-15, Ed-a5-350 and the epik caliber. Anybody have any advice in the difference in these, or something I may be missing, thatnks all.....Mike

You have 2548 cu ft if you have a 7 foot ceiling... I would recommend not going less than either a single 18", dual 15" or 4 x 12" drivers. You can make do with less for sure, but you will lose out on headroom, run into more thermal compression, and non-linearities. ( distortions of all types )

For some people that don't ever listen loud or with music and movies that never aproach reference levels... they can get away with a single 12".

I have a pair of HSU MBM-12's (mid-bass modules) running full range off a "Y" adapter from my SLE output. It's set to about 2/3 volume max volume. I have a REL STORM III connected to the left and right main leads. The REL is set to full range and turned up about 1/3 max volume.

The MBM's add the coveted "slam" that "feels so good" on rhythm and soundtrack parts. The MBM's blend very well with the REL and RF-7's, and the blended Hz/SPL's sound very smooth. The MBM's are not priced too far up there - about $500.00 each.

The Fathom and Ultra 13 are two of the highest rated sub's for their sizes. As noted, the SPL of the ported Ultra may be the most well-rounded choice for both music and HT near your price. I'm sure a Fathom would also be a great choice, too, and about twice the cost.

Danley also has mid-bass units, and a 12 inch sub worth knowing about: http://thesoundbroker.com/Danley.htm

I sent a email to krell and got this email.... Yes Mike, you can use the RCA pre-amp output for the sub input. This output will be 6 db down in gain compared to the balanced XLR output. So this difference will need to be added at the sub woofer amplifier.

Steven Leckrone
Senior service technician
Krell Service Department

Looks like I am ok, easy solution, thanks for the post............Mike

Yes - be fair warned to be careful with test CD's. They produce very interesting sounds that, at higher levels, can damage speaker components. The REL Storms' "balanced high level input" was new to me. It has a 3-wire plug. The wires are connected to both the left and right PLUS front main signals, and ONLY TO ONE of either the left or right MINUS leads.

That's how REL tapped into both stereo channels for balanced high speaker level inputs to the REL. This 3-way (2 plus/1 minus) connection sends both left and right channels to the REL without changing the stereo signal from stereo to mono on the front mains.

It's the recommended hook according to the REL manual and musically sounds much better than the LFE input. On the other hand, my MBM-12's sound cleaner connected directly to the SLE output.