Opinions

vandec54

Please view my system profile and offer your opinions on upgrades. It's been several years since I added/changed anything and I think it's time. My system is used primarily to watch movies, it it housed in a 12x18 room in my basement. How much do you think I would need to spend to get my system up to par? I was hoping for $500 or so. Thank you for your thoughts.

Go with a seperate amp/ processor setup. I swiched from a denon to 2 parasound amps and an outlaw processor and the results were amazing! Check audiogon, ebay, and other forum members for used equipment. You have a good base with the speakers you own for HT. Good luck in your decision!

First off you do have a good setup. A few questions, do you think you are missing something? Do you have your current setup dialed in with a SPL meter? Does you current receiver have Pre-Outs?

For $500 you will have to look hard to find something in the separates, meaning both pre and amp. If you can use you current receiver you should be able to fine a really good amp for the $500.

James

Thanks for your response.

I am always looking for "a better sound" with more coming out of my rears. I am content with my sound, but I think I could do better. I have tried adjusting and that's just the way it is.

I am really not familiar with amps or if my receiver has "Pre-Outs". Please explain further for me (i have been out of the game for awhile). here is the link to my receiver, if you could please check it out and if I do have "Pre-Outs" offer amp suggestions as well as what I have to do to hook it up. Thank you http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200239&CNTYP=PRODUCT&LGFL=Y

Looking at your gear I would think the sound is pretty good. To me the 25" TV should be the biggest focus for your theater room right now. It needs to be upgraded the most IMO. If you just can't swing a better picture right now then I agree with the previous posters, room treatment or a DIY sub.

I am really not familiar with amps or if my receiver has "Pre-Outs". Please explain further for me (i have been out of the game for awhile).

I took a look and your receiver doesn't have Pre-Outs. Pre-Outs would be labeled on the back of the receiver and have a single cord RCA hook-up for each speaker. With that you can run just the receiver to power your speakers or you can purchase a separate amp to run your speakers.

Remember a receiver does everything in one box while separates, a pre and an amp, don't. The pre for separates will do all the things a receiver will do but it does not power your speakers, that is were the amp comes in. The pre sends the signal to the amp and the amp is the one that powers the speakers. The amp has its own power supply so no worries about power draw from other things that a receiver has to do.

I hope that I have not confused you even more.

James