Is a Center Channel Necessary?

wsu99999

I have never heard the RC-62, but I have the RC-64 hooked up as my center with LS II"'s for fronts........I realize there are timbre issues however this setup sounds great........I have a larger issue with my Heresy's as surrounds than the RC-64 as a center.

In a perfect world I would have LS II's across the front, but with room limitations the world is not perfect and I am very happy with the way my system sounds, and I feel that most of you might be surprised that it may be an "R" series speaker but it is a good sounding substitute.

Sure Heritage rules but somtimes you do what works best for your situation.

I've found my 4.0 setup to be quite satisfying, but I will add a center when I can. I just got another pair of Forte IIs to replace my B&W surrounds I had been using. I'll be thrilled if adding another Forte or heresy for a center makes half as much improvement as getting the other set of Fortes did.

I've found my 4.0 setup to be quite satisfying, but I will add a center when I can. I just got another pair of Forte IIs to replace my B&W surrounds I had been using. I'll be thrilled if adding another Forte or heresy for a center makes half as much improvement as getting the other set of Fortes did.

BigDaddy,

I read in another area that you got that second set in kansa city. I know you are using several Adcom amps, but do you have a surround sound souce?? If so, just hook one up as a center with your old surronds. You already know how 4 Forte sound in stereo and as surrounds, so it should give you a real idea of the worth of that 5th Forte you need yet.

Roger

Also depends on what type of movies you watch. If you like Science Fiction, Action, etc then a complete 5.1 really is great.

If you watch dramas, comedies, etc then no a center channel or surounds are not needed.

I use the PLC-II (5.1) setting on the receiver feeding the entire system with separate receiver feeding the K horns to enable very quick volume changes between the "center channel/sub/side" and the K horns. This setting gives you the real gut pounding center output you can play with to your hearts content. It also provides for the main receiver volume to control all volumes with one knob. You also have separate bass, treble, loudness controls between the two systems. The equalizer is only on the K-horn system which boosts the low end to match the sub. All balanced with the cheapo Shack SPL meter and built in pink noise level tests of the main receiver in 7.1 mode.

JJK