Denon 3802?

onemike

Hello!

I´m considering to buy the Denon receiver 3802 and I would be glad if someone could give me some personal experience info about it, both positive and negative. I have the following speaker set-up:

Klipsch KLF-20 as fronts

Klipsch RC-3 as centerspeaker

Klipsch KSP-S6 as surrounds

Acoustic Research 15" as sub

Before I had the Sherwood 9080AVP/AM9080 system but wasn´t happy with it. How will the Denon function with the Klipsch speakersystem in which I probably will upgrade with another pair of KSP-S6:s. Also, if I in the future will upgrade with separates, as for example the Anthem MCA2 and 3, will the sound then improve or will the Denon then hinder a sound improvement? I.E will a processor of higher quality be needed?

Also, have seen on this forum that some individuals don´t think that the RC-3 doesn´t go well together with the KLF-20:s but I think they do. Will I enjoy better sound with the new RC-7 together with my fronts?

These are many questions from me and I hope that some friendly member will help me in this matter. Regards! Mike

Hello there onemike!

Just to give you some kind of and answer to your question I'll say that without actually comparing what you have to what you are considering buying,one would of course have to have/have had both.I do not.

I do have a Denon 3801 and like it very much.The Denon receivers have respectable power amps and with your highly efficient Klipsch speakers should sound wonderball.I have an Acurus 125X5 and 100X3 for power duty and use the 3801 as a preamp.Works great.Haven't used the receiver's built in amps so I can't give you a comparison in sound differences.If the Denon 3802 has all the processing features you are looking for,I say go for it.

I would imagine that a person would have to spend much more for separates to realize a large sound difference.

Bottom line,IMO,buy the 3802 and if not satisfied with it upgrade to separates.

Also,if you are considering a center speaker change,by all means get the KLF-C7.

Good luck Mike!

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

Thank you Keith for your input, it was helpful. I´ve heard so many good things about this receiver so I have my pretty much made up my mind to buy it. Also, if or rather when I buy another pair of S6:s then the question is where to put them. The ones I have now is on each side of the listening position and I guess that the new pair should go behind me and a bit higher then the others correct. As they are dipols should the new pair be switched so the left one goes to the right and the other way around. Would certainly be glad for your input about this. Surely I would be glad to have the C-7 for center but this one is hard to find, especially here in Sweden. Have seen them on e-bay but it´s risky to buy overseas. See ya!

Doug,

I've read (a while back, can't find the link) about a 3 person double blind test which compared the differences between direct radiating and dipoles in both rear and rear center applications. All I remember is the verdict. Direct for rear, and dipole for rear center. hmm... I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

onemike,ya good choice.The 3802 has practicly every feature you could want.I use all 7 channels.I have monopole surround backs and the WDST surrounds.Sounds great!

Download the owners manual at www.denon.com for lots of good info about the receiver and speaker placement.

Although the S-6's are not true dipoles(more bipolar I'd say)they do give a diffuse sound that is not localizeable.The correct surround placement is to the sides of the seating position and either slightly forward/rearward of seating position(according to set-up and where you read it)and about 1 meter above seated ear level.

For 6.1 use go with the one C-7.

Gotta go to work.:^( Use one or two monopoles for 6.1/7.1(surround back) and the S-6's for side wall surrounds.Will sound great.The 3802 manual will really help you with your questions.Good luck again dude,

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-A

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

-----------------

KG5.5 FL/R

KLF-C7 C

KT-DS SURR

SW12II

Thank you for your ideas guys.

As to decide what extra surrounds to use it´s a real jungle. Everyone has their own opinion, as it should be of course. But isn´t it so that if one has, as me for example, a pair of S6:s the extra pair should be the same so the correct "balance" will occur. I also know that a lot of people recommend that you should have the same rear center as the one in front. But is their any truth to the fact that if you choose dipols they should be switched, right surround back speaker is connected to the left speaker output on the receiver/amp? So, i´m still confused, dipols or direct radiating is still the question. But it´s always nice to discss it right? Mike

Hi again!

Thank you BOA12 for the response. Shure, it would be great to invest in KLF 20:s all around but here in Sweden they come with a pricetag that is almost double the amount to yours over there. So, you don´t think that 4 pair of S6: would be a good setup? How to you set up with two C-7:s for rear back surround? Or do you mean one in front and one in back? But all in all, if I keep my S6:s and invest in one C-7 for rear surround back it would be better in your opinion? Of course then I also would have to upgrade my RC-3 in front to a C-7 to balance it correct? If I only won the Lotto Wink.gif Regards. Mike

mike, sorry for those high prices there. i use 1 C7 for rear back (center) & it works great for me. 1 or 2

C7 depends on your room, set-up, tastes, budget. try 1

1st & see if u need a 2nd.

definitely, replace the front rc w/ a C7. that should be priority #1. u could even use the rc as a rear back center & probably get by. see how that works for u 1st.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

So, a C-7 in front and for the time being I could move my RC-3 to the back and have my S6:s on the sides? Do you know of any "stores" in the U.S, that sells Klipsch, who ships overseas at a good price? Even if the shipping is a bit high I still think that I would come out on top. Also, I know that people say that cables for the surround speakers aren´t that important, but what do you think and can you recommend any good ones. Finally, as i´m thinking of the Denon and it´s effect specifies 110W into 8ohm, what would happen if I choose to upgrade to separates with an effect of 200W. As my first question was, can the Denon function as preamplifier with these effects I´ve specified? Again, thank you for your time. Regards! Mike

onemike, as stated earlier,the Denon owners manual will give you lots of info concerning the options you'll have regarding speaker options and switching.

As far as the 110/200 watt question goes,there would probably not be a HUGE difference in the 200W separate amp.Probably slight(3db)volume increase,maybe tighter bass and/or improved dynamics.The lack of cash in your pocket will be the largest difference.Klipsch speakers are very efficient and the Denon will drive them to very loud volume levels.And yes,the 3802 has pre-outs that would allow you to use separate amps.

The lest expensive route for you would be two KLF-C7's.

Be sure and read the manual.It will be time well spent and answer most of your questions.

BTW,I have a new C-7 that I don't use.I've got a few off days coming up and if I could afford the round trip airfare I would bring it over to your house and we could drink beer and listen to good music.......

Keith

yes mike, like keith, both my C7 are yours if you get the rt tic on sas for me. not to be a bigot, but strong beer, pretty blondes, & free love do intice me.

cwm4.gif

keith know the denon & klipsch. note i just mentioned the rc-3 as a rear center as a low budget solution. i've not heard S6. rc really only timbre matches well w/ other klipsch ref speaks.

after flyin keith & me for the C7, you may wanna try an email to http://www.kiefsav.com/websys.exe?file=index.html

------------------

My Home Systems Page