Opinions on DBX DriveRack PA?

gearfreak

Unless you are just dead set on a hardware device, why not trade for something to enhance your system and get a copy of True RTA software to run on a PC for this purpose? It's only 100.00 for 1/24 octave and has most of these functions...

Otherwise, DBX builds super fine stuff.

Dave

It's an interesting unit, you get active crossover, subsonic boost, and parametric eq (three bands per channel). It's a bit challenging to learn but the RTA feature might be fun to try out. You'd really want to take measurements over several spots in your listening area and average the some way because a single spot measurement in a room won't be much better than most receiver's built in systems.

I'm with the computer route. Why put your music through another set of A/D D/A converters if you don't have to? However if you're just using it as a measuring device that's a different story.

The DRPA is a solid unit that should be reliable, as are all DBX products. However, it is not known for sonic excellence within the pro sound community. If you are looking for a unit to use at home the Behringer DCX-2496 would work better for that purpose. It sounds better, is cheaper, and there are many tweaks available to further improve performance.

The DRPA is a solid unit that should be reliable, as are all DBX products. However, it is not known for sonic excellence within the pro sound community. If you are looking for a unit to use at home the Behringer DCX-2496 would work better for that purpose. It sounds better, is cheaper, and there are many tweaks available to further improve performance.

Since you are interested in the RTA capability, Don mentioned the DCX2496, but he probably meant the DEQ2496.

-Tom

An RTA isn't exactly a good measurement tool. You're far better off with something like REW, which also happens to be free.

As far as the driverack, I haven't been the biggest fan. You don't get much processing and the sound quality ain't the greatest either.

Thanks for that tip, Mike. While I like RTA as a tool to "see" my location recordings as well as confirm what my ears are hearing on other material, REW looks like a great tool for checking the coupling of a system to space.

I like the price, too.

Regards,

Dave

The driverack pa used as a measurement tool is fine, i wouldn't use it as an xover or anything like that. the d/a converters sound horrible in those, your soundstage will be very two demensional. The only unitof that type I've heard sound anything near decent was the BSS omnidrive, altho its much more$$.