Horrid IMAX experience

colterphoto1

Just a few IMAX observations

For background purposes... in the last few years I have seen maybe under 8 IMAX films at a IMAX theater.

Sometimes, with fast action, the action itself is so fast, you can't take it all in. This is especially true in movies where they add a lot of computer stuff too. (Speed Racer) I appreciate the wow effect, but you just cant take it all in and process it all. The screen is just too big to do so. Like having your picture in your HT from the floor to the ceiling and 20 feet wide and your 10 feet back?

What is it with BUGS and such being on the prints? I do not remember this a real problem with other films?

The new digital projectors really DO look great in the newer theaters too. (OK Not IMAX, sorry, I am jumping conversations here..)

No matter how cool the IMAX "experience" is at the local theater, it always sounds better at home on DVD.

Last but not least, a lot of people are gonna blow speakers when this Dark Night movie comes out. It is like it has a mind of it's own.....Saying, "Go ahead..feed me power!!!! Your gonna love this explosion!" hehehehehe

It was a great experience.... But those woofers and subs just were not doing so well in places. LOL At home, OMG, it will be scary!

Don't feel bad Michael...

I just saw Dark Knight with my son at the Brownsburg theater. Great movie but the sound was less than stellar. They have JBL at this theater with multiple surrounds on the side walls. We were in the sweet seats for imaging but get this. They showed the movie in 3 channel mode. Didn't even have the @)#(* Prologic amp on. The LRC had that honk in the EQ where they didn't get the horn quite right. I am just gonna stay home and watch movies. The seat is more comfy too!

I was flabbergasted to see surrounds on the walls but NO SOUND. They should be ashamed of themselves. I have a good mind to invite the manager over to the company or my house so they can hear what accurate sounds like.

Roger reported that Dark Knight at the Keystone Art Cinema (with Klipsch sound- KPT250? on walls) was much clearer, no distortion, much more lifelike surround. I saw Atonement at that cinema and the sound is stellar.

What many theaters pass off today as state of the art sound is very sad indeed.

I an not sure if the IMAX sound system was designed to handle regular movies soundtracks. Most IMAX films soundtrack can be surround but not like a movie is.

Now IMAX has realized they can show movies like the Dark Knight and fill up their theater and make a lot more money. I don't thnk I have ever seen a full IMAX theater until I saw Jurrisac Park there.

I an not sure if the IMAX sound system was designed to handle regular movies soundtracks. Most IMAX films soundtrack can be surround but not like a movie is.

Now IMAX has realized they can show movies like the Dark Knight and fill up their theater and make a lot more money. I don't thnk I have ever seen a full IMAX theater until I saw Jurrisac Park there.

Excellent points. IMAX is mostly about the cameras, video technique and uber-big-screen projection for visual realism.

Standard modern movies put a lot into mixing multiple channels into the soundtrack for sonic realism. S

Showing a well-recorded first run movie (non-IMAX) format at a standard IMAX theater would therefore give less than stellar surround performance.

Someone needs to sell IMAX a more natural sounding array of surround speakers.

Guest srobak

I was still living in Indy when they started showing regular movies at the IMAX there... Titanic, Hunt For Red October, Days of Thunder, The Holy Trilogy, others... the sound was pretty good on all of them, but the massive size of the picture is what was awesome. The opening shot of Red October with Sean Connery's eyebrows WAY larger than life... you could count the folicles... it was nuts. GREAT way to watch movies. :)

Don't feel bad Michael...

I just saw Dark Knight with my son at the Brownsburg theater. Great movie but the sound was less than stellar. They have JBL at this theater with multiple surrounds on the side walls. We were in the sweet seats for imaging but get this. They showed the movie in 3 channel mode. Didn't even have the @)#(* Prologic amp on. The LRC had that honk in the EQ where they didn't get the horn quite right. I am just gonna stay home and watch movies. The seat is more comfy too!

I was flabbergasted to see surrounds on the walls but NO SOUND. They should be ashamed of themselves. I have a good mind to invite the manager over to the company or my house so they can hear what accurate sounds like.

Do IT!

I was still living in Indy when they started showing regular movies at the IMAX there... Titanic, Hunt For Red October, Days of Thunder, The Holy Trilogy, others... the sound was pretty good on all of them, but the massive size of the picture is what was awesome. The opening shot of Red October with Sean Connery's eyebrows WAY larger than life... you could count the folicles... it was nuts. GREAT way to watch movies. :)

Keef was scary [:o]

Excellent points. IMAX is mostly about the cameras, video technique and uber-big-screen projection for visual realism.

Standard modern movies put a lot into mixing multiple channels into the soundtrack for sonic realism. S

Showing a well-recorded first run movie (non-IMAX) format at a standard IMAX theater would therefore give less than stellar surround performance.

Someone needs to sell IMAX a more natural sounding array of surround speakers.

Throw some Jubs up front and supporting surrounds with a bunch of Klipshc subs and there ya go!!![:P]

I saw the recent Batman at an AMC theater in Seattle. The bass was,at best, very muddy. At the big explosions, it was loud mush.

A few years ago the tour at Indy included a trip to a local theater. My recall is that it was using one 18 inch bass unit for a 1000 seat theater. Or something like that. Perhaps something similar was in the AMC theater.

In my humble opinion, these movie theater set-ups are pretty much like having a 6 inch sub in living room. We are blessed at home with relatively large bass radiators in even the modest Klipsch systems.

Wm McD